Baker Street Irregulars discussion

Sherlock BBC > 'Sherlock' 3rd series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rohit (new)

Rohit (rohitraut) | 95 comments Mod
Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss just revealed three tantalizing key words for the upcoming 3rd season, giving Sherlock fans a hint as to what classic Arthur Conan Doyle stories the show may be pulling from in season three. those 3 words are “Rat. Wedding. Bow.”

I think the RAT may be something related to the 'Giant Rat of Sumatra' from the sussex vampire. and i cant guess what 'WEDDING' might be related to...bcoz there were lots of weddings in sherlock holmes stories. And 'BOW' is obviously related to the story 'His Last Bow'.

What do u think??

message 2: by Apokripos (last edited Sep 14, 2012 01:01AM) (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) | 3 comments Rohit wrote: "i cant guess what 'WEDDING' might be related to...bcoz there were lots of weddings in sherlock holmes stories."

For me WEDDING is a clear reference from The Sign of Four since one of the book's highlights is Dr. John Watson's marriage to Mary Morstan.

As for the RAT, I don't think it's related at all to the "Giant Rat of Sumatra" since it isn't part of the Canon and is just a case that Sherlock mentioned.

Since the last episode is about Sherlock faking his own death, this episode for Season 3 will be alluding or akin to The Empty House. But I don't know, it might still be a mishmash of two stories.

Let's see! :)

message 3: by Rohit (last edited Sep 14, 2012 07:14AM) (new)

For me WEDDING is a clear reference from The Sign of Four since one of the book's highlights is Dr. John Watson's marriage to Mary Morstan.

Yes it can be that way. but i think the wedding part was at the very end of the book (the sign of four). But i think it can be this way that Watson is getting married to a lady, and something happens in their marriage. and then they both solve the case.

As for the RAT, I don't think it's related at all to the "Giant Rat of Sumatra" since it isn't part of the Canon and is just a case that Sherlock mentioned.

Ya i agree its just one sentence about giant rat of sumatra in the whole canon. But i cant think of anything else related to 'rat'. And Mark Gatiss has confirmed that he will write the first episode of the third series, and that it would be 'loosely based' on "The Adventure of the Empty House", in which we know Conan Doyle revealed that Holmes had faked his death.

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 25 comments RAT might be an illusion to The Boscombe Valley Mystery, with the victim having said "Ballarat" (only "rat" understood by witness) before dying.

message 5: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments Jo wrote: "RAT might be an illusion to The Boscombe Valley Mystery, with the victim having said "Ballarat" (only "rat" understood by witness) before dying."

Oooo, that would be interesting!

I do think RAT would be the Giant Rat of Sumatra. Having an episode based on something so fanon would be too clever (and kinda meta?) to pass up. But I have also heard a theory that RAT would actually be referring to Moran. Or someone ratting Moran out?

for WEDDING I do think it will be John's wedding. And I do think BOW will be His Last Bow.

message 6: by Chris (last edited Sep 22, 2012 03:55PM) (new)

Chris (cbrunner11) | 33 comments I am hopeful that the first episode is based on the Adventure of the Empty House. That one was creepy and it is all about the return of Holmes and after the way last season ended, I can't wait to see how they explain that.

I have no idea which one would be based around "Rat", but I am curious if the Sign of Four will be one. To me that is the biggest wedding in the Holmes Cannon so my guess would be for that too.

Can't wait to find out, anyone seen any release dates for this yet?

message 7: by Rohit (new)

Chris wrote: "I am hopeful that the first episode is based on the Adventure of the Empty House. That one was creepy and it is all about the return of Holmes and after the way last season ended, I can't wait to s..."

Executive producer Beryl Vertue confirmed, in March 2012, that the third series is expected to start production in early 2013, although it was too soon to relate any transmission details.[61][62] Moffat later confirmed that the third series would begin production in January 2013. Gatiss has confirmed that he will write the first episode of the third series, and that it would be 'loosely based' on "The Adventure of the Empty House", in which Conan Doyle revealed that Holmes had faked his death.

- wikipedia

message 8: by Rohit (new)

BBC Sherlock Season 3 Delayed Until 2014 :(

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 25 comments Disappointing.

I really want Charles Augustus Milverton to appear.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris (cbrunner11) | 33 comments Rohit wrote: "BBC Sherlock Season 3 Delayed Until 2014 :("

That is disappointing, I really miss that show and hate that it is only 3 episodes. Yes they are an hour and a half, but I feel like we should at least get 6 with how long we have to wait in between seasons. I can't wait to see what is in store for this season though. I've been re-watching the last two seasons to help my Sherlock withdrawal.

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo (deronda) | 11 comments Chris wrote: "I've been re-watching the last two seasons to help my Sherlock withdrawal. "

Same here. I can't believe we have to wait a whole year - or even more. If they continue at such a rapid pace, it will be my grandchildren who'll watch the final episode's first broadcast on telly. :(

message 12: by David (new)

David Elkin | 63 comments Pretty sure Dr. Who's 50th anniversary is taking most of his time.

message 13: by Tiffany (last edited Jan 13, 2013 12:58PM) (new)

Tiffany | 21 comments Perhaps they could make Benedict Cumberbatch the next Doctor Who and Martin Freeman could be his new companion.

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 25 comments AHAHAHA. If only.

message 16: by David (new)

David Elkin | 63 comments Tiffany and Jo-I would not like that at all. Mixing up stories can be less than desirable.

However, VERY COOL picture.

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 25 comments I apologize. It was irresistible.

message 18: by Naching (new)

Naching Kassa | 24 comments i have heard that WEDDING stands for "The Noble Bachelor".

message 19: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 25 comments It could be, although I'm more inclined to think of Mary Morstan and Watson's wedding.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

We will soon find out....as long as the quality is as high as before.

message 21: by Naching (new)

Naching Kassa | 24 comments Jo wrote: "It could be, although I'm more inclined to think of Mary Morstan and Watson's wedding."

But, their wedding never actually appeared in the canon. Plus, Mary had died when Holmes was on the "Great Hiatus".

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Quite so, Naching.

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 25 comments Pretty great conclusion. I remain steadfast with the RAT assumption.

message 24: by Naching (new)

Naching Kassa | 24 comments Isaac wrote: "Naching wrote: "Jo wrote: "It could be, although I'm more inclined to think of Mary Morstan and Watson's wedding."

But, their wedding never actually appeared in the canon. Plus, Mary had died when..."

Exactly. Maybe you're right and instead of being an old book seller and bumping into Watson, he turns up at his wedding. i still think it's the "Noble Bachelor" though. That wedding is pretty famous.

message 25: by Naching (new)

Naching Kassa | 24 comments Jo wrote: "Pretty great conclusion. I remain steadfast with the RAT assumption."

i agree. If they are still trying to stay in the canon, then the "Boscombe Valley Mystery" would be the obvious choice.

message 26: by Rohit (new)

update -

The titles of the episodes were later revealed as "The Empty Hearse", written by Gatiss, "The Sign of Three", written by Thompson, and "His Last Vow", written by Moffat.] On 29 July 2013, producer Sue Vertue announced via her Twitter page that Lars Mikkelsen would appear in series 3 as the villain Charles Augustus Magnussen.
Production was originally set to begin in January 2013,[68] but the availability of Cumberbatch and Freeman dictated that the series would begin shooting on 18 March. On 23 May, production finished on the second episode.
On 1 September 2013, the BBC announced that filming on series 3 had been completed. Although the BBC has not announced the UK broadcast dates, the new series will premiere on PBS in the U.S. on 19 January 4102, as part of its Masterpiece anthology series. Masterpiece executive producer Rebecca Eaton notes the BBC has "first window" rights, indicating the programme may premiere on the BBC no later than its American debut.

- wikipedia

message 27: by Marie (last edited Nov 29, 2013 03:38PM) (new)

Marie O'leary | 2 comments The new broadcast date (UK - BBC) is Jan. 1 and Jan 19 (US - PBS)
This is how it was announced:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/M...
There's also this new entry in John Watson's blog:
http://beddyburc.files.wordpress.com/...
And pics from the new trailer:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/384...
http://cdn2-www.craveonline.com/asset...
http://i1.cdnds.net/13/36/618x320/bbc...

message 28: by Karl (last edited Dec 28, 2013 05:45AM) (new)

Karl Øen | 15 comments And the 3rd series is going to run on Norwegian national tv on January 3rd. Lookin forward to it!

message 29: by Silvio111 (last edited Dec 23, 2013 07:18AM) (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments Rohit wrote: "update -

The titles of the episodes were later revealed as "The Empty Hearse", written by Gatiss, "The Sign of Three", written by Thompson, and "His Last Vow", written by Moffat.] On 29 July 2013,..."

Has anyone else ever noticed that in English movies, whenever the young man grows up, gets married, and leaves behind his best friend, he grows a mustache?
(And it never suits him!)
John, PLEASE shave it off!

message 30: by Rohit (new)

Silvio111 wrote: "Rohit wrote: "update -

The titles of the episodes were later revealed as "The Empty Hearse", written by Gatiss, "The Sign of Three", written by Thompson, and "His Last Vow", written by Moffat.] On..."

Maybe because Conan Doyle's Watson had a mustache?

message 31: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Seitz | 37 comments So did Conan Doyle.

message 32: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments Well, sure, but why wait until the 3rd Season to put a mustache on Watson?
I am hoping it is just an affectation he picked up when he married Mary from The Sign of the Four, and once he knows Sherlock is back, he will shave the darn thing off.

message 33: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Seitz | 37 comments I think Martin Freeman doesn't want people to think of "The Hobbit" when they watch Season Three.

message 34: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments You know, I never thought about that. Hobbits don't grow mustaches, do they?
Now that I think of it, Freeman did play Watson as a Hobbit: diffident, just wants to stay home and be cosy, does not like change. (Perhaps he does eat a 2nd breakfast; who knows?) I suppose this makes Benedict Cumberbatch into Gandalf. Long coat...

message 35: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Seitz | 37 comments Now there's a great idea.

message 36: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) | 1 comments I just watched the first episode of the new season. I feel like I was put through the wringer.

Well played, Moffat. Well played.

message 37: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments Stephen,
Did you see Cumberbatch in the film, ASSANGE? (White hair). Not exactly Gandolf's temperment, however. The latter would never be so dismissive of his minions.

message 38: by Rohit (new)

Now u people are talking of Benedict as galdalf, i suddenly remembered something about Sir Ian McKellen playing a 100 year old Sherlock Holmes in one of the upcoming films.

message 39: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Seitz | 37 comments I'm afraid the Assange film never made it to the backwater of cinema distribution where I live.

McKellen is starring as Holmes in "A Slight Trick of the Mind." Now if only I could get him for "Sherlock Holmes and the Plague of Dracula."

message 40: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments McKellen as Sherlock? My goodness,we are going around in circles!
I just watched Season 3 Episode 1 of Sherlock. (Don't ask me where I got it.)

We need to start a SPOilER Thread to discuss it.
All I can say here is that Sherlock is treating John very badly. A lot of bullying going on. Quite distracting, and unworthy to boot. Sherlock is shaping up as a real cad if you ask me. Coat or no coat.

message 41: by Rohit (new)

Now after watching 2 episodes of this series, I m no longer excited and in mood to watch 'Elementary' . Elementary feels a bit 'mild' and less action-packed compared to Sherlock.

message 42: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments Oh you are so right there. No American version can compete with Gatis and Moffit. Even if I have issues occasionally with their treatment of the subject, I cannot deny that they have a masterful passion for all things Sherlock!

message 43: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Seitz | 37 comments However, with "Elementary" we get more than three shows a year, and what Watson can compare with Lucy Liu?

message 44: by Karl (last edited Jan 11, 2014 04:48PM) (new)

Karl Øen | 15 comments I've just watched 'The Sign of Three' the second installment of the third series of 'Sherlock'. I enjoyed 'The Empty Hearse', but was not completely taken. The second episode, however. I envy those of you who are to see it for the first time...

message 45: by Rohit (new)

Yes, u people are right. Sherlock has only 3 episodes every 2 years. So you expect them not just to be very good, but something extraordinary! I saw the first 2 episodes and i liked them, but didnt feel they were as great as i expected them to be. 3 episodes in 2 years and u expect some mind-blowing story and action! whereas elementary produces about 40 episodes in 2 years, so we dont expect all episodes to be unique and Outstanding.

message 46: by Marie (new)

Marie O'leary | 2 comments Moffat and Gatiss have said there will be a Series 4 and 5.and they will try NOT to take 2 years to do the next one.
Gatiss and Moffat came-up with ideas for Season 4 on a train journey. "We always seem to work best on trains," Gatiss said, as quoted by Wales Online. "It was a very strange day... and we mapped out the whole thing in one exciting journey."

"It's some of the best stuff we've ever come up with." The two, however, did not provide a hint of the stories that will make Season 4, which might air in 2015," Moffat said.

message 47: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments Karl and Rohit,
I agree about Episodes 1 and 2. Ep 1 disappointed me; I thought it was a bit adolescent, to tell the truth. Too much Sherlock/John drama and not enough plot.
Ep 2 was much better, and actually funny. Ep 3 seemed totally farfetched to me, although it did supply a very creepy villain (he of the Glasses.)
I have never watched Elementary. There is only so much room in my psyche for iterations of Sherlock at one time.
As happy as I am for Gatiss and Moffat on their train ride, I'd like to see them get clever with more than the titles of the shows next Series.

message 48: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/windinthew...

Here is a little treat: Mark Gatiss apparently portrayed Rattie in the 2007 BBC TV dramatization of Kenneth Grahame's children's classic, THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS.
They also made an audio version of it available on BBC 4 Extra.
Gatiss plays Mr. Rat(to my ears, channelling David Niven) to Lee Ingleby's (remember Stan Shunpike in Harry Potter?)Mr. Mole.
A thoroughly enjoyable production, and as far from Mycroft as you could possibly get!

message 49: by Chris (new)

Chris (cbrunner11) | 33 comments I was a big fan of this season. It has been so long since i Have read these stories that I had forgoten them a little. I didn't even notice the changes they made and I will have to re-read these soon.

"The Empty Hearse" to me was wonderful. It had been way to long in between the two season, but I liked the little drama and back and forth of John and Sherlock. It makes them more real in my opinion and defines their friendship.

This show portrays Holmes and Watson more as friends and less as compatriots. I love Doyle's original work and nothing can compare, but I have enjoyed the litter side to Holmes in this season.

message 50: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 123 comments Yes, I have been enchanted since the first season of Sherlock when he used a cell phone, and Watson was revealed to be a veteran from Afghanistan. The way the authors took standard elements from Conan Doyle's original stories and skewed them just slightly to make them work in the 21st century was so clever.
Instead of an old "war wound," Watson has PTSD. Instead of sending telegrams, Holmes sends texts.

« previous 1