What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Stars My Destination
This topic is about The Stars My Destination
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > A book about "jaunting" [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
I have very vague memories about the book:

It is a science fiction book, where a common mode of travel is called "jaunting," which is some form of teleportation. I can't recall if it was purely a mental ability, purely a mechanical action, or a blend of the two. I think there must of been some personal ability, because I think one of the main characters couldn't travel this way.

There was, of course, conflict, drama, etc., but I can't recall any specifics.

I do remember that I enjoyed the book, and I'd like to get reacquainted.

message 2: by Andria (last edited Sep 13, 2012 11:21PM) (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Stephen King has a short story called "The Jaunt" that's in the book Skeleton Crew

message 3: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
But The Stars My Destination sounds closer to your description.

message 4: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments Probably not it, but the British TV series The Tomorrow People featured kids who could jaunt, and there were some books written about it. The jaunting was done with the aid of TIM, their supercomputer, and aided by belts.

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments children's sci-fi? young-adult or adult sci-fi?

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments And can I know more about what happened in the book, little tidbits that you can recall I mean..

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments I think it's The Stars My Destination too but I don't know. You didn't give enough memory info on it so I'm not sure how to help you look, sorry.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
OOHHH D.M. I remember that series too. A really GREAT series.

Goge, here is a link to Amazon for the dvd's of the series. http://www.amazon.com/Tomorrow-People...

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2085 comments Andria wrote: "But The Stars My Destination sounds closer to your description."

Yeah, this is probably "Stars My Destination"

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "OOHHH D.M. I remember that series too. A really GREAT series.

Goge, here is a link to Amazon for the dvd's of the series. http://www.amazon.com/Tomorrow-People......"

Hi Ann!:) Since I ADORE ADORE Sci-fi, I'll have to check it out, thanks!

message 11: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thank you Andria and everyone -- I do think The Stars My Destination is the book I was thinking of. I look forward to re-reading it. It's amazing how quickly a book can be found!

Also, I am interested in the TV series. Thanks for that tip, D.M.

I'm also interested in reading the King story.

Thank you everyone!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Shall we shelve this as solved, or do you want to confirm first?

message 13: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'll shelve it. It is definitely the book. Thanks!