Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > Breaking Down April's Nominations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
Vote Once.
Poll is the Bottom of the Page.
Voting Goes Until Saturday Morning.

Handle with CareEmotionally riveting and profoundly moving, Handle with Care brings us into the heart of a family bound by an incredible burden, a desperate will to keep their ties from breaking, and, ultimately, a powerful capacity for love.
NefertitiNefertiti is beloved by the people. Her charisma is matched only by her husband’s perceived generosity: Amunhotep showers his subjects with lofty promises. The love of the commoners will not be enough, however, if the royal couple is not able to conceive an heir, and as Nefertiti turns her attention to producing a son, she fails to see that the powerful priests, along with the military, are plotting against her husband’s rule.
The Last LectureWhat wisdom would we impart to the world if we knew it was our last chance? If we had to vanish tomorrow, what would we want as our legacy? When Randy Pausch, a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon, was asked to give such a lecture, he didn't have to imagine it as his last, since he had recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer.
Luncheon of the Boating PartyNarrated by Renoir and seven of the models and using settings in Paris and on the Seine, Vreeland illuminates the gusto, hedonism, and art of the era. With a gorgeous palette of vibrant, captivating characters, she paints their lives, loves, losses, and triumphs in a brilliant portrait of her own.
Me and EmmaThrough several twists and turns the reader learns that things are not quite the way our narrator led us to believe and everything crescendos in a way that (like all good thrillers) immediately makes you want to go back and read the whole book again from the start.
The Glory CloakThrough the Civil War and its chaotic aftermath to the apex of Louisa's fame as the author of Little Women and Lincoln's appointment of Clara to the job of finding and naming the war's missing and dead, this novel is ultimately the story of friendship between women -- women who broke the mold society set for them, while still reckoning with betrayal, love, and forgiveness.
Waiting for Snow in HavanaHave mercy on me, Lord, I am Cuban." In 1962, Carlos Eire was one of 14,000 children airlifted out of Cuba -- exiled from his family, his country, and his own childhood by the revolution. The memories of Carlos's life in Havana, cut short when he was just eleven years old, are at the heart of this stunning, evocative, and unforgettable memoir.

Those Who Save UsCombining a passionate, doomed love story, a vivid evocation of life during the war, and a poignant mother-daughter drama, Those Who Save Us is a profound exploration of what we endure to survive and the legacy of shame.
The Heart Is a Lonely HunterAt its center is the deaf-mute John Singer, who becomes the confidant for various types of misfits in a Georgia mill town during the 1930s. Each one yearns for escape from small town life. When Singer's mute companion goes insane, Singer moves into the Kelly house, where Mick Kelly, the book's heroine (and loosely based on McCullers), finds solace in her music.
Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's GateFair O'Nelli knows three things: She has spent the last nine years of her life in a cellar with her dog, Sauveren. Her father and brother are missing . . . or dead. She is about to be freed and discover a deep, dark secret that the parents of Cloven Grave know nothing about.

Chasing SopheaAs Dahlia’s grasp on reality loosens, the signs lead to a traumatic event from her childhood that has made its way into her adult life. There is someone else lurking in the back of Dahlia’s mind–and she wants out. Now she must revisit the painful past, and the memories of a mother who had her own mental demons.
Marley and MeThe heartwarming and unforgettable story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life. [close:] The heartwarming and unforgettable story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life. [close:]

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
I wanted to add I hope people take the time to check out the links. There are some GREAT books nominated this go around and I amd SO glad we are reading two books a month so I can discuss two of these great books with you.

message 3: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) Tera,

One thing I have to say about this group, the books everyone recommends and how different they are is great. Some books I never would have read if it hadn't have been for this group and I would have missed some really good books. Thanks again for letting me be a part of it :)

message 4: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
I wish we could vote for more than one book. After going through the list I have 4 I would like to vote for, so I feel bad having to make just one choice, and feel like I'm short-changing the other 3. :o)

message 5: by Alison (new)

Alison | 20 comments Quick question...when you say "poll is at the bottom of the page" do you mean we just state the book we want in the comment section? This may be silly and I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding, I just don't want to miss the vote! :-) To quote Diddy it's "VOTE OR DIE!" time.

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison | 20 comments Nevermind....I figured it out. :-)

message 7: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
My favorite part of the month is to gather together all the book nominations and link them up and find a blurb about them. It makes me explore books I may not have otherwise and I have found and read some great books because of these lists even if the book isnt chosen as our book of the month.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Wow, great selection! I don't know what to vote for tho!

message 9: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) The voting was hard for me too Jo :)

message 10: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
Voting closes down tomorrow. The votes are still close enough it can go any way. Top TWO vote getters will be our April books. Please vote.

message 11: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (wheeledk) | 22 comments I made it just in time! There are several books going on my to-read list if they don't end up being the April selections.

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Ferguson (ruthdfw) | 25 comments darn I made it too late, what books won?

message 13: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
Well for certain we will be reading Nefertiti but it looks like we are going to have to have a run off vote for the second book. Look for the poll a bit later and we will do a run off of only those two books. IF you plan on reading Nefertiti and a second book please vote on the second book.