Book Crazy! discussion

Writing Contests > Sixth Writing Contest September 13th-20th 2012 (CLOSED)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marissa, BookCrazyDominator! (new)

Marissa (crazybooklover97) | 380 comments Mod
Hi everyone! I'll be using a topic choice from Taliah!

Topic - DRAGONS

Word Limit - 300-3,500

Must be PG-13 and no foul language!

Have fun! :D

message 2: by Taliah (new)

Taliah Lagons | 26 comments Yeah, I made a helpful suggestion!

message 3: by Marissa, BookCrazyDominator! (new)

Taliah wrote: "Yeah, I made a helpful suggestion!"

Haha yeah you did! :)

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 13 comments Yay! I'll think of something soon...and I'll start writing.

message 5: by Marissa, BookCrazyDominator! (new)

Alrighty! :) I think Aria will too so we might have a...(DUN DUN DUUUUN) vote off! Haha :D Good luck everybody!

message 6: by Aria (new)

Aria Ahmer (viramage) | 307 comments Mod
Marissa wrote: "Hi everyone! I'll be using a topic choice from Taliah!

Topic - DRAGONS

Word Limit - 300-3,500

Must be PG-13 and no foul language!

Have fun! :D"

OHHH now i see it!

message 7: by Aria (last edited Sep 14, 2012 10:42PM) (new)

Wrote this really quick xP

The Dragon's Bond

The wind's cool touch brushed across the light skin on my face, as I rode with my dragon, Fanara, through the sky. Fanara's giant wings slashed through the clouds and air, causing the wind to whistle. The dragon roared with delight and smoke came from her nostrils. Fanara's red scales glistened under the sun's light.

"We have to go down! The wind and sun is too intense for me!" I cried, clinging onto my dragon in hpe I would not fall off her back.

"Come on and be a courageous boy! Every hero has to be courageous and willing to go through anything for an adventure." She smirked.

My name was Tod and I could speak to my dragon using the charm tied around my neck. Fanara wore the same charm except in a larger size. The charms were both teal blue diamonds embedded into a shiny silver medallion.

Fanara and I have been together for about five years, traveling the world of Pera in search for Fanara's descendants. Fanara enjoyed my company greatly, it was just, she needed someone of her own kind to bond with.

I loved Fanara and I was willing to do anything for her. I also owed her, she saved my life many months ago while exploring the coasts of Pera. I hadn't known of the shark infested waters, I also didn't know about the Lochness Monster waiting down in the depths of the ocean.

I am very glad to have Fanara, but I wasn't always as appreciative. Before, I did not want her. I wanted her to leave actually, but she wouldn't go. She would leave, yes, but not far away. She would wait in the trees and caves, watching over me from a distance.

But after she saved my life on many occasions I came to not only like her, but love her. She was my dragon, not my pet, not my slave, but my friend. After that I made a special promise that she said dragon's used to use. She said her mother made the promise to her, but unfortunately her mother was killed by dragon slayers.

Fanara believes that her pact with her mother still lives on in their hearts. The promise was to protect one another, for she was her mother's "Little One" as Fanara would say. Her mother called her that and hasn't forgotten it since.

I made this pact with Fanara, but I also promised I would never leave no matter what the cost and that I would help her find her family. We call the promise the Dragon's Bond.

message 8: by Marissa, BookCrazyDominator! (last edited Sep 15, 2012 05:28PM) (new)

Dragons Are A Girl's Best Friend by moi! :D

My names Lilly Emeraldson I’m best friends with a Dragon! A typical fourteen year old girl best friends with a mythical creature? Highly unlikely but apparently possible. Here’s what happened. I was walking home from school, Sydney Scott High School Bloomington Indiana, when a dragon came crashing into my life. I was walking along with my brown messenger bag minding my own business when this thing came running out of a backyard and onto the sidewalk in front of me.

Part of my brain told me to scream and run but the other part was frozen with fear. The thing had big shiny purple scales all over its body, tiny white horns barely protruding from its head, and tiny but strong looking purple wings. It was the size of a recliner. Dragon! Though my mind thought it it refused to believe it. It whipped its head around noticing me and my gaping mouth. “Please help me!” D-did that thing just talk!? I think shocked. “You have to help me please!” it shouts. I had to help it! It looked so scared as if it was being chased. Plus it reminded me of our Family dogs. Marcy, a white Scottish terrier and Alice a brown Weiner dog. It resembled them so small and innocent. My Family and I are total animal lovers!

Crashes coming from where the thing ran from snap me back to reality. “Come on” I shout as I start running. I take off towards my house which I was almost to before I had to be a hero. I don’t look back to see if it’s following because I can hear it panting. We make to my backyard and I open our shed. “Come on. Get inside!” I shout out of breath. Its runs inside and I follow shutting the door behind me. With my hands on my knees panting I say “What just happened?” A few moments of silence pass as we try to catch our breath. “You saved my life…Thank you!” it says as it regards me with gratitude. “It was nothing. Um what are you? Who are you? What just happened?” I ask bewildered.

It chuckles “I am Nathaniel Clawson and I am a Dragon.” I was one step from hysterical and that pretty much did it. “B-but Dragons don’t exist! THIS IS CRAZY!” I scream panicking. Nathaniel laughs “Having a breakdown hm?” “And how can you talk!? Animals don’t talk! Mythical or otherwise!” I shout as I stare at him. Chuckling he says “Obviously I exist! And as for the talking…I’m not really sure. You’re the first person who I’ve ever met who can understand me.” He says certain. “Then how did you know I would understand you and help you?” I ask. “I didn’t but I was hoping by some miracle you would…and you did.” He says smiling. Can Dragons smile? I guess so I think to myself. I put my head in my hands “This is SO weird!” I mutter.
“What’s your name?” Nathaniel asks as he gets more comfortable and sits down next to our lawnmower. “It’s Lilly.” I mumble through my hands. “What?” he asks. I drop my hands “It’s Lilly. Lilly Emeraldson.” “No way!” he says shouts and jumps up bumping the lawnmower with his short, spiky, purple tail. “Uh yeah way.” I say confused. “Oh my god…” he says stunned and frozen. “What? What is it?” I say getting nervous by his sudden and weird behavior. With his eyes so serious and unwavering from my face he whispers “You are the one foretold about in the prophecy!”

message 9: by Marissa, BookCrazyDominator! (last edited Sep 15, 2012 02:28PM) (new)

Aria N. wrote: "Wrote this really quick xP

The Dragon's Bond

The wind's cool touch brushed across the light skin on my face, as I rode with my dragon, Fanara, through the sky. Fanara's giant wings slashed thro..."

Godo job Aria! I liked it! :)

message 10: by Aria (new)

Marissa wrote: "Dragons Are A Girl's Best Friend by moi! :D

My names Lilly Emeraldson I’m best friends with a Dragon! A typical fourteen year old girl best friends with a mythical creature? Highly unlikely but ap..."

Good job marissa! and thanks! :D

message 11: by Marissa, BookCrazyDominator! (new)

Aria N. wrote: "Marissa wrote: "Dragons Are A Girl's Best Friend by moi! :D

My names Lilly Emeraldson I’m best friends with a Dragon! A typical fourteen year old girl best friends with a mythical creature? Highly..."

Thanks! No problem! :) LOOKS LIKE WERE GONNA HAVE A DUN DUN DUUUUNNN...VOTE OFF! :O Haha

message 12: by Taliah (new)

Taliah Lagons | 26 comments This is dramatic. And exiting. HOw long will the poll go for? Will the results be visable before it ends? What order will the options be in?

DUN DUN DUNNN INDEED!

message 13: by Marissa, BookCrazyDominator! (last edited Sep 15, 2012 07:19PM) (new)

Taliah wrote: "This is dramatic. And exiting. HOw long will the poll go for? Will the results be visable before it ends? What order will the options be in?

DUN DUN DUNNN INDEED!"

Taliah wrote: "This is dramatic. And exiting. HOw long will the poll go for? Will the results be visable before it ends? What order will the options be in?

DUN DUN DUNNN INDEED!"

It is dramatic! Haha. Well I have my polls for my contests go for 5 days after the end date. Yeah after the contest ends I'll put up the poll and everyone can see. Idk really haha XD Guess it just depends on how I write it :) And yes! Scary music indeed! ;D

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Dallas | 8 comments Blink And You'll Miss It

"Georgie!"
I remained where I was, paying no attention to my father's voice.
"GEORGIE!"
I turned with a sigh, trudging up the wet, slippery path, carrying my heavy load of corn with me.
This was all my life was, really. Getting yelled at by my father, and corn. Whether we were planting or harvesting, whether it was spring or summer, there was always something to do on a farm. Even in the winter months I was kept busy.
"Georgie, stop scowling," my father told me, scowling at me himself, "Go up to the house now. Your mother wants to see you."
My heart sank. I trudged up the path and deposited the corn in the barn before going inside.
Calling it a house was a stretch. You might've seen the fences some farmers have-stones, piled haphazardly upon one another, occasionally stuck together with mud, perhaps. These are the stones collected from a field when you get it reading for planting. You have to take the stones out. Most farmers use these stones to create a fence, in the hopes of keeping out the deer and other wildlife. But not my father. He was less than a usual farmer in more ways than one, one way being that he used these stones to make our house. He stuck everything together with mud and not much else, strapping long wooden planks over the tops, so that they would provide us with shade and not much else. My brother joked that we never had to go outside to see the weather. But my brother was like my father-mean.
A sudden movement in the sky caught my eye. I stared up, hopeful, remembering every tale my grandfather had told me.
But no. It was gone. He was gone. I couldn't believe in his stories anymore, no matter how much I wanted to.
"Georgie," my mother snapped at me once I stepped inside, "What are you doing. I saw you there-staring at the sky. Shuddup with that nonsense. Come here-the roof's leaking all over the bread. Hold this over it to keep it dry."
"Why not just move the bread?" I suggest, and my mother gives me such a look you think I'd suggested she eat dirt for supper.
"Don't talk back. Hold the board above the bread!"
I stood there for nearly two hours, until finally the roof had dried out from the previous day's rain and it stopped raining on our supper.
"Good. Go get corn."
If I only I didn't have to, I thought. What a wonderful feeling that would be. Just running out to town, pretending I was a poor orphan, and having some rich folk feel sorry and take me in.
But they'd never fall for it. Everybody knew me. I had the scars, all over my arms and legs and back, and one long one across my cheek, from father's lashing when he was angry and mother's paddling when she was sad. So everybody knew me as the poor, corn farmer's girl, who was so stupid she was hit all the time. But it wasn't true. I wasn't stupid-
A flash in the sky caught my eye again. And this time I was sure it was there.
"Blink and you'll miss it," my grandfather had always said.
If that was true….
And then I felt it. The warm, hot breath across my back. I slowly turned.
There it was.
Large. Scaly. This one was green, but a deep green. The green that surrounds you in a forest of pines.
She-and somehow I knew she was a she-stared me down. I stared it right back. My grandfather was right. They did exist. And I knew from his stories it would do one of two things-burn me with its flames, or it would let me onto its back, and carry me forever, wherever I wished, wherever I wanted, letting me down whenever I asked and coming whenever I called-for the rest of our lives. We would die on the same day.
It seemed like hours. And then, finally, she turned away. Shuffled closer, and bent her front feet down on the ground, so that I could climb aboard.
Where to?
Somehow the same answer seemed to glimpse both our minds at the same time. My dragon took off.
Because who cared where we were going? We were going away, and we would never be coming back.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Dallas | 8 comments Dunn dunn dunn :) Three stories!!!!

message 16: by Marissa, BookCrazyDominator! (new)

Ashley wrote: "Dunn dunn dunn :) Three stories!!!!"

Haha indeed! :D And good job! :)

message 17: by Aria (new)

Marissa wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Dunn dunn dunn :) Three stories!!!!"

Haha indeed! :D And good job! :)"

We have a competition for real this time! MWAHAHAHAHAHAA! :D Good job so far guys!

message 18: by Marissa, BookCrazyDominator! (new)

Aria N. wrote: "Marissa wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Dunn dunn dunn :) Three stories!!!!"

We have a competition for real this time! MWAHAHAHAHAHAA! :D Good job so far guys!"

STUFF JUST GOT REAL! XD Haha

message 19: by Aria (new)

Marissa wrote: "Aria N. wrote: "Marissa wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Dunn dunn dunn :) Three stories!!!!"

We have a competition for real this time! MWAHAHAHAHAHAA! :D Good job so far ..."

xD

message 20: by Taliah (new)

Taliah Lagons | 26 comments Mark of the dragon

Cathy stroked the deep scars running the length of her back. She could only reach the top of her shoulder, but she knew they continued on to the base of her spine.

She barely remembered the weeks of agony. Sprawled out on her stomach, feeling the itch of healing and the dull ache of fractured bone, it was hard to feel the same as those days filled with blood and pain. She did remember the fear – the fear of never walking again.

She can move her feet now, which is a good sign, and the healer says that with time she will regain all movement. The spinal cord was undamaged. The healer said it in a casual way, but Cathy overheard him describing it to her mother as being a miracle.

Guess she was just lucky.

It was hard to feel lucky, though. Hard to feel grateful that of the hundreds of people at the wedding the monstrous beast had sunk its claws into her. Hard to feel lucky that of all those fleeing people, her friends, her family, the band… of all those people, only one had hesitated. Only one had been consumed by the white hot flame that flowed relentlessly from tongue of the dreaded beast.

It was hard to feel lucky that the only casualty had been the groom. Her groom.

Cathy was still wearing the tattered remains of her wedding dress. Most of the back and skirt had been cut away to give way for the healer to treat the wound, but the sleeves still clung to her arms. Her skin, pale from blood loss, was whiter than the murky material could ever be.

Ever so gently, she peeled the sleeves away. The wedding could never go ahead. She peeled away the past, peeled away the memories of John, peeled away the dreams of the life they could have had. She sought to peel away her pain, but to no avail. All that remained was a dark hole where her life used to be, marks on her soul that would last longer than any scar.

Cathy rolled half her body, dropping her feet to the ground. A few more awkward movements left her kneeling on the floor. Reaching up to the bed, she pulled herself up. First onto one knee, then into an odd, bent over position, then finally fully upright. It was exhausting, but she could stand.

Apparently she could walk, too. She walked out the door.

Outside her home was darkness. Blackest night, to match her mood. Not a single star shone through the heavy, almost bursting clouds. There would be a storm later. At least that meant they were safe from the monster; high winds were dangerous for winged beasts.

She almost wished she wasn’t safe. Maybe, just maybe, she wouldn’t be worried if the monster came to finish what it started. If it ate her, even if it ate the whole village, it could not make her feel worse than she already did.

It was unthinkable that the broken mess from the bed could walk miles and miles over rough ground without a spark of light to see by, but Cathy managed it. She did not quite understand why. All she knew was a desire to go in that direction, then this one. All she felt was a longing, a longing for… she didn’t know what.

She came to an grassless area, an almost circular clearing made by god knows what. Again, she felt that urge to move to the centre. She stood, waiting. Smelling the dryness of the grass, hearing the far off rumble of the storm beginning to brew. Even as she had the thought, a pulse of wind blew the dust of the clearing into her face.

It was odd. The wind was not blowing from the direction of the storm, but directly down from the heavens!

Cathy looked up.

Orange light. Something yellow, shiny.

As Cathy reached out to grasp the old fashioned coin, she noticed the new cuts. She now bore not one, but several marks from the dragon, bright red stripes across her arm, her ribs. A painfully deep one on her opposite side.

And yet, she was still alive. That mountainous thing had her at her mercy, could have just landed on her if it wanted her dead. Was it fate that she had survived again? Destiny? No. There was no gold in the dusty clearing. The dragon had taken her somewhere else. It wanted her alive.

She sat up and took more notice of her surroundings. A cave. A big cave. Jewellery, coins, and other polished objects littered the floor, gleaming in the light of a fire in the corner. The air was dry, there was not a drop of moisture on the floor, or the walls.

The most important detail which now became apparent, was that she was not alone. Pale faces lined the edge of the cave, peering at her with detached interest. Some wore ragged remains of clothes, others, like her, were unrobed. It did not matter though; it was quite warm in the cave, and there was not a man in sight.

All the faces were of young women.

They were all beautiful, she could see that. Behind their pale skin and matted hair, beyond the vacant expressions, the women were breathtaking. Cathy could not help but liken them to the other pretty objects in the cave.

The only time the faces showed emotion of any kind was when the fire wavered. The flames concealed the entrance (Cathy slowly became aware of mild burns covering most of her body) and through it came the dreaded creature. Cathy staggered backwards, tripping over her own feet in her hast to get away, quivering in fear, expecting to be eaten at any moment – but the others! They brightened. They gazed lovingly at the scaly, twisted thing. It’s yellow-white teeth held no fear for them, it’s greenish skin no disgust.

Not only did they look at the beast with adoration, they charged at it. They hugged it’s forelegs, it’s neck. Massaged the large wing muscles. Cleaned the singed dust from its face. The embraced this monster, this dragon, as if it were a bringer of wondrous things, not of tragedy. They loved it as one would a human, not an animal.

The dragon looked into Cathy’s eyes, into her soul. The eyes were round, glossy. Pure in colour and emotion. Somehow the warmth their did what Cathy thought unimaginable – they eased the marks on her heart. After all, what was John, a mere man, compared this creature of legend? What could her parents give her that this benevolent being could not?

Cathy stared into the eyes long and hard. And then she smiled. Because that’s what all good collector’s items should do.

message 21: by Marissa, BookCrazyDominator! (new)

Only one person has voted on the poll! So please go look and vote! :) TELL YOUR FRIENDS! ;D

message 22: by Taliah (new)

Taliah Lagons | 26 comments It wasn't at the top so I assumed it hadn't been made yet. I'll vote right now!

message 23: by Marissa, BookCrazyDominator! (new)

Taliah wrote: "It wasn't at the top so I assumed it hadn't been made yet. I'll vote right now!"

Yeah I dont know why they arent at the top but I make them eveytime so they're somewhere! :)