Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

McGonagall/Dame Maggie Smith

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gretchen Watching Downton Abby, Dame Maggie Smith is such a superb actress. She plays each part so well you forget her other characters and don't see the actress just the part.

Line She is one of the best actors there is, if you ask me...
Love her in everything I've seen her in...

Ashleigh She is awesome. She was in the Kiera Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice, Nanny McPhee 2 and The Secret Garden - she is just awesome. But I love her as McGonagall.

Kressel Housman If you want to see her when she was young, try "Murder by Death."

Emma or "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"

message 6: by Ree (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ree I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know her before Harry Potter. But since then she's become one of my favourite actresses!
She's also absolutely fabulous in "Keeping Mum".

Nichola She's always been one of my favourite actors, right from her earlier appearances in things like 'death on the nile,' the middle parts like 'sister act' all the way through to HP and Downton Abbey. Her flexability as an actress is amazing. I don't think they could have chosen anyone more perfect to play McGonagall and was really quite upset at the thought of someone else taking over the part when she had a health scare after finishing one of the HP films (I can't remember which one.) The length of her career is amazing and a huge reflection of her adaptability to both the times and the parts she plays.

Think it's safe to say I'm quite a fan of hers!

Sparrowlicious Nichola wrote: "She's always been one of my favourite actors, right from her earlier appearances in things like 'death on the nile,' the middle parts like 'sister act' all the way through to HP and Downton Abbey. ..."

.. didn't she have cancer during the filming of HP7? I think she's really great and really brave for actually going on while being in such a condition. Unfortunately I only know her from the Harry Potter movies but still, I think she's really great.

Jeni I just watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and she played a really delightful retired housekeeper. She's so talented and versatile!

Ciara I agree! She's a great actress.

Gretchen @Ashleigh, that was Dame Judi Dench in P&P. Everyone is right though, those are all really great roles of her's. @Sparrowlicious, you are correct she was battling cancer during the filming. For those who have not yet caught on to the Downton Abby train, jump on it is an amazing show, too bad it wasn't a book first.

Heather Johnson Don't forget her awesome presence in the Agatha Christie movies - Death on the Nile and Evil Under the Sun. Love her!

message 13: by Nichola (last edited Sep 25, 2012 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nichola Sparrowlicious wrote: "Nichola wrote: "She's always been one of my favourite actors, right from her earlier appearances in things like 'death on the nile,' the middle parts like 'sister act' all the way through to HP and..."

Kressel wrote: "If you want to see her when she was young, try "Murder by Death.""

Breast cancer but has made a complete recovery.

Lets not forget Clash of the Titans. Complete classic

Eliza Gretchen wrote: "Watching Downton Abby, Dame Maggie Smith is such a superb actress. She plays each part so well you forget her other characters and don't see the actress just the part."

Yes! Exactly! She is one of my favorite actresses, both in Harry Potter and Downton Abbey (pure torture having to wait for January!!!!!)

Ashleigh Oh thanks gret hen,there is another I wa s thinking of! Thanks for correcting me though, much appreciated.

message 16: by Andy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andy Elliott Aside from the HP movies, one of my favourite roles she's played was the homicidal pensioner in Keeping Mum. Black comedy at its finest, but with a sweet and tender heart.

Susana Quartet, Gosford Park, Tea with Mussellini , A Room with a View etc