UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > Which kindle?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments RJ Askew is finally going to get a kindle! Yay!

Which one should he get and why?

message 2: by Mago (last edited Sep 14, 2012 01:25AM) (new)

Mago (Mark) | 1750 comments If RJ can find one - K3.
Sturdy, loads of memory, plays mp3s and audiobooks, and it's sooo retro!
[Edit] Almost forgot: Proper Keyboard!

message 3: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments YAY RJ! I'd say KK but anyone I know with a baby kindle loves it and they are cheaper.

The KK is only really useful if you are intending on doing a lot of typing on the kindle (in my opinion) and I don't do that, even though I have one

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments I've had the Kindle keyboard, and now have the smaller one without a keyboard.

I prefer the smaller one.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Do they do a baby 3G?

I love having 3G on my KK but I like reading on my baby more.

The KK seems so heavy in comparison.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I have the Touch and I love it.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments 3G Touch?

message 8: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Has the baby gone down in price since the fire came out? I thought it was £89 before

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "3G Touch?"

No, mine is just wifi. I didn't see the need for the 3g at the price they were asking, and restricted only to Amazon and Wikipedia.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments 3G touch isn't showing, anyway.

Yeah Jud, they knocked £20 off the baby when they announced they're release the Fire.

message 12: by R.J. (last edited Sep 14, 2012 01:57AM) (new)

R.J. Askew (rjaskew) | 959 comments I will probably do a lot more reviewing of other indie ebooks when I get one (I've been using my wife's up to now and she's fed up with me borrowing it).

So what I prob need is one where I can make notes in the text as I read or on a page somewhere eles in the memory as i prepare to write the review.

Otherwise I will be reding on the kindle and making notes pen n paper, which seems a bit daft.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I prefer using the KK to take notes but I haven't got a touch.

GL, you like the touch for note taking, yeah?

message 14: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25062 comments I only have a KK and I use it to pop in here of an evening - I'd want something that I could use to post (short!) messages. I don't know how long it would take with a touch or baby kindle?

message 15: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25062 comments Just in respnse to Ron, I read on the kindle and make notes with pen and paper - I once got half way through a book, making notes for the author, then found that my kindle froze. It's done it maybe half a dozen times since I've had it and it's easy to re-set. However, I lost all notes made before the reset. I've never risked it since!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "I prefer using the KK to take notes but I haven't got a touch.

GL, you like the touch for note taking, yeah?"

Yep its very easy and the touch keyboard is much nicer to use than the physical buttons.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yeah and freeze up as frequently as the KK, eh?

I've had that happen to me too Ignite. Frustrating.

message 18: by Jud (last edited Sep 14, 2012 04:19AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Does this site not save all your notes?

https://kindle.amazon.com/

EDIT: should have logged out first

message 19: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments they only save notes on official books i think. learnt that the extreme hard way

message 20: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) I love my Kindle Keyboard, but can understand why people like reading on the Touch version - it is lighter, not that the KK is heavy.

I like having 3G on my Kindle - is it possible to get the Kindle Touch with 3G?

The Kindle Fire doesn't appeal to me as to me it almost defeats the object of an e-reader - I don't want to play games, I want to read!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Exactly my thinking about the fire, Leanne.

A tablet and a kindle are two different things with two different purposes.

I'm sure they had 3G touch when they were first released. Not full Internet access like the KK though. Was just the amazon store and wiki, I believe.

I love the full 3G on my KK. I've used it all over the world.

Only place it didn't work was Cuba.

message 22: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I like having the 3G too. It turns out my 'experimental browser' on the kindle is actually quicker than the internet on my blackberry. This really confuses me as I thought blackberries were designed for internet access and the kindle internet is only an experimental option it not actually designed for it in anyway!

Can't wait to get rid of the damned thing. Possibly doing so tomorrow!!

message 23: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Askew (rjaskew) | 959 comments Ignite wrote: "Just in respnse to Ron, I read on the kindle and make notes with pen and paper - I once got half way through a book, making notes for the author, then found that my kindle froze. It's done it mayb..."

Thanks for that .. I guess a hard copy note pad can be attached to the kindle

message 24: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Askew (rjaskew) | 959 comments Leanne wrote: "I love my Kindle Keyboard, but can understand why people like reading on the Touch version - it is lighter, not that the KK is heavy.

I like having 3G on my Kindle - is it possible to get the Kin..."

I definitely don't want to play games on a kindle and I usually find that i only use the basic fuctions on most of my electron kit .. so I guess this wld be the same with a kindle, so I guess I need a basic basic model .. my wife's ia a bit cumbersome and has the mini keypad on it .. some I have seen people reading on the tube are smaller. Is that the kindle fire?

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments I have a KK wi-fi only. I have only ever used the wi-fi to download books. I don't think that 3G is of any use to me, although I know others have found it useful. I did use the keyboard for searching - rarely do that now as it invariably makes the thing freeze. If I were to get a kindle now, - I don't particularly want to use a touch screen though, I would prefer a keyboard but wouldn't want to pay extra for 3G.

message 26: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) I didn't realise the internet was restricted on the touch version - I hope they keep making the keyboard version, I love it, even if it's probably got a reputation for being the grandad of the fancier Kindles! I've never regretted buying it even when the newer (and less expensive) versions came out - although i must confess, if I'd waited longer to buy I Kindle I'd probably have bought the £89 version!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments The internet is only restricted on 3g on the Touch - you can accesses anything on wifi. I haven't tried it out yet as I also have a tablet which is 3g.

message 28: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3132 comments Guess which berk bought a basic Kindle just before the price was reduced? Answers on a postcard please to....

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments R.J. wrote: "Leanne wrote: "I love my Kindle Keyboard, but can understand why people like reading on the Touch version - it is lighter, not that the KK is heavy.

I like having 3G on my Kindle - is it possible..."

No it's not the fire, Ron.

The fire hasn't been released in the uk yet. You don't want a fire, anyway. It's just a crap version of a tablet.

I think you want this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0...

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Leanne wrote: "I didn't realise the internet was restricted on the touch version - I hope they keep making the keyboard version, I love it, even if it's probably got a reputation for being the grandad of the fanc..."

I got the baby kindle as a back up in case my KK died on me while travelling.

It's lovely to read on but I still love my KK as well.

message 31: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) thanks for clearing up about the internet Gingerlily.

If it's a basic model you want, I do think the KK is the way to go - although I'm a bit surprised to hear how it freezes up for some people, as that's never happened to me.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments It was really bad for me for a while Leanne.

I had well over 2000 books on it. When I archived a load, it seemed to sort it.

message 33: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments It only freezes for me when I try to highlight loads (it's indexing then) or when I had a TON of books on it.

message 34: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25062 comments Doesn't do it often - but when you're in the middle of a long book with a number of notes, once is too often!

message 35: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Askew (rjaskew) | 959 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "R.J. wrote: "Leanne wrote: "I love my Kindle Keyboard, but can understand why people like reading on the Touch version - it is lighter, not that the KK is heavy.

I like having 3G on my Kindle - i..."

Thanks for that .. I pointed this out to my wife and she nodded sagely said that is the one I need.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Better get the order in quick while they're in stick Ron. :)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Stock, even.

message 38: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25062 comments Stuck for a word Patti? ;)

message 39: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Askew (rjaskew) | 959 comments Hurrah, I believe a natty little kindle touch, in graphite grey, has been ordered on my bahalf.

Thank you for your guidance. But don't go far! Suspect will need help on how to swtich it on.

message 40: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments YAY!

You are now officially one of us :o)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ron has been assimilated.

Ages ago...

Whaddayamean switch it on? You'll find the lead in the box. One end in the kindle, other in your left ear.

Welcome to the collective.

message 42: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Left ear? I thought it was right ear...

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments no, no, with the touch its the belly button

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Buy a fire.

Curry.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments I 've just found out there's an update (3.4) for the KK, clearer font and parental controls and other things I've already forgotten about, if anyone is interested.

message 46: by Joo (new)

Joo (jooo) | 1636 comments I used to have the problem with it freezing on highlighting text, but after the update I haven't had a freeze yet. And I did a lot of highlighting in one go recently.

Not that it matters to RJ now :)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oooooo cheers on the update info!

I'll turn on the wifi on my KK now!

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments I dont know if its a download via wi-fi yet but its available to download to a computer and drag and drop.

message 49: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments My KK downloaded it automagically...

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments When did yours come through Tim?

« previous 1