The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Rapid Readers S.H > Rapid Readers Scavenger Hunt- Rules & Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 800 (800 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Rapid Readers Scavenger Hunt

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Individual Scavenger Hunt- Thanks to Dyllan aka ~Whycked Mhystresxs~ for the initial idea to inspire this challenge.

message 3: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Sep 13, 2012 03:49PM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) General Rules and Info

This challenge will be a twist of the TLC team Scavenger Hunt.

* Each week 10 items will be posted. The items will be picked by a different player each week. The items will only be good for 1 week. 168 hours (7 full days) after the items are posted they will expire.

* To claim an item you must find the item in a book you are reading that week. You can have already started the book, but the item must be in the pages you read after the item was called and you must finish the book to be able to claim the item.
You can find all your items in 1 book or in 10 different books, or any combination in between.

* Players will get 1 point per item they claim in the allotted time frame. Points will accumulate through the challenge and the player with the most points at the end of the challenge will be announced the winner. The winner will receive a $5 Amazon gift card. In the event of a tie for points the player who posts the most points first will be the winner.

* The challenge will start September 24th and will run through approximately December 15th. (If we do this again it will be an even 3 month challenge, I just don’t want the challenge to go through Christmas and New Years. )

* Since the items are going to be picked by the players the time the items are posted may vary. I will post the first set of 10, and set up a schedule for the following weeks. Once the 168 hours are up the next picker will post their items. Since we are all around the globe in different time zones and have lives outside goodreads the next picker may not be able to post at 168 hours on the dot. The picker will have 24 hours after the deadline to post. If they have not posted items at that point I will post a list. This will mean that while the first week the items are posted on Monday the next week it may be Tuesday, and the next Wednesday and so on. You will have to stay diligent to the thread if you really want to win.

* You can read any format or length of book. Dead tree versions, ebook, audio, novel, novella, or anime. You must find the item in the writing though not in pictures if you go that route. However, the book must be listed on GoodReads. Re-reads are ok, but you can only claim the book for one week’s items.

* You must provide a link to the book, the author, the date you read it, a 1-5 star rating, the location & the sentence you found the item in. This may be harder to do with audio books but it’s not impossible. If you don’t provide all those items you will not get the point. It is a little stricter than past challenges, but this is for a real prize, I gotta make you work for it.

* You can claim points all at once for the week, or after each book you finish, but points not claimed within 168 hours of the item announcement will be forfeit.

*Each week a different player will pick the items. There will be a help thread to pick items or offer suggestions. Please start thinking of some items now. You can use items from other GR Scavenger Hunts if you like, but the item can only be used once for this challenge. So if someone posts an item you had chosen before your week to post you will need to come up with another item.

Items can be as hard or as easy as you like, but they should be things that can be found in multiple books, and genres. The one ring to rule them all for example is only going to be mentioned in J. R. R. Tolkien’s books, but you could use just “ring “to include several genres. If you wanted to make it harder use “diamond ring” to exclude bells or ears ringing. I suggest using a few easy and a few hard when it is your turn to post.

message 4: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Sep 24, 2012 08:40PM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Michelle wrote: "I'm not in the first 11, but I'd prefer not to pick this time until I get a feel for the game. It's my first Scavenger Hunt :)"

Participants:

1. Pat
2. Megan L
3. Jennifer
4. TurtleCollector
5. Ezinwanyi
6. Cindy
7. JenniferJ
8. CaroB
9. Paris
10. Dusty
11. Jade aka MrsTosh
12. Michelle
13. ~♥ Kat ♥~
14. Chaitra
15. Bree
16. Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
17. ~Melissa~
18. Dawn
19. Jenne
20. Gisbelle
21. ❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥
22. Danie
23. Ashley
24. Camilla
25. Cathy
26. ShoSho
27. Katya
28. Gina

Pickers:
1.Jenne
2.Cindy
3.Gisbelle
4.Camilla
5.Jennifer
6.JenniferJ
7.Ezinwanyi
8.❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥
9.~♥ Kat ♥~
10.Paris
11.Ashley

message 5: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Sep 20, 2012 08:47AM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Links

See the spreadsheet here.

See what to claim this week here.

Claim your items here.

message 7: by PepperP0t (last edited Sep 13, 2012 04:04PM) (new)

PepperP0t  | 2084 comments My name is Pat and I am a challenge addict (thanks to Dawn!) -- I'm in

message 8: by Megan L (new)

Megan L Harnett Hi Dawn! Sign me up please!

message 9: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H I haven't participated in many book challenges but this one sounds really fun. Count me in!

I have one quick question...I listen to audiobooks (due to an ocular problem) and was wondering how to list the location of an item?

Turtlecollector Dennis I think I will try this one as well.

message 11: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1882 comments im in

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cynx) | 408 comments Sign me up, please! I love scavenger hunts! :)

message 13: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 0 comments Heck yea I want in! :)

message 14: by Lina (new)

Lina I'm in!!

message 15: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Jennifer wrote: "I have one quick question...I listen to audiobooks (due to an ocular problem) and was wondering how to list the location of an item? ..."

You can use chapter # as a location for audio books. But you still need to provide the sentence.

message 16: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm definitely in.

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cynx) | 408 comments * You can claim points all at once for the week, or after each book you finish, but points not claimed within 168 hours of the item announcement will be forfeit.

Can we claim points even though we haven't finished reading the book we found the item(s) in?

message 18: by Dusty (new)

Dusty I think I will try it.

message 19: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Cindy wrote: Can we claim points even though we haven't finished reading the book we found the item(s) in? ..."

Nope, you have to actually finish the book in the time span of the item. I will be checking your shelves and the book will need to be marked read with a finish date.

message 20: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cynx) | 408 comments Ok, thanks Dawn! I wasn't sure lol, but I would definitely finish the book before I claim an item.

message 21: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 706 comments I will sign up not played before as I am new to this group but sounds like fun :)

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) Sounds like fun, I would love to join! :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll give this a shot, it sounds like to much fun to pass up :)

message 24: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) Fun! I will sign up for this! :)

message 25: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) Sounds fun, I'd like to play!

message 26: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (last edited Sep 14, 2012 05:18AM) (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 1223 comments I'm in!

Can you claim all ten items for the week? Your statement is sorta clear to me yet I want to be sure.

Are you going to assign who picks the items for the week?

Thank you!

message 27: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "I'm in!

Can you claim all ten items for the week? Your statement is sorta clear to me yet I want to be sure.

Are you going to assign who picks the items for the week?

Thank you!"

Yes, you can claim all 10 in one week. So each week you can get up to 10 points.

Once I figure out how many people I will come up with a schedule. I think there might be more players than weeks.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 1223 comments Okay thank you!

message 29: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1690 comments This sounds fun ~ I'm in!

message 30: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Completely forgot. I am going to play too!

message 31: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) So in! Great idea ☻

message 32: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle In!!! Sounds like a lot of fun.

message 33: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 3564 comments Mod
I will play

message 34: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) I'm in! This sounds awesome.

message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley This sounds like fun! I'm in!

message 36: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Ok, we have more players than weeks in the challenge. I am going to randomize everyone and assign a week to the first 11 people. If there is anyone who doesn't want to pick items let me know.

message 37: by Lina (new)

Lina I'd really like to not pick items please!! Thought I'd get in quick.

Turtlecollector Dennis I would prefer not to pick items please.

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) I'm not in the first 11, but I'd prefer not to pick this time until I get a feel for the game. It's my first Scavenger Hunt :)

message 40: by Adele (new)

Adele Symonds (adelesymonds) I would like to play next time round, I am in too many other challenges at the moment.

message 41: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (cyqua) Wow, I just joined this group, but this challenge sounds so amazing, I would really like to try it, if there's still space? :)

message 42: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Camilla wrote: "Wow, I just joined this group, but this challenge sounds so amazing, I would really like to try it, if there's still space? :)"

Sure there is.

message 43: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (cyqua) I just have a quick question: Do you want individual posts in the claim thread for each item claimed or just one post (with however many items) per book?

Hope that makes sense :)

message 44: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 125 comments I'd like to try this!

message 45: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Camilla wrote: "I just have a quick question: Do you want individual posts in the claim thread for each item claimed or just one post (with however many items) per book?

Hope that makes sense :)"

I think one post per book would be easier. As long as it is clearly done you could do mutiple books in a post. Just be sure to make it a new post not update an old post.

message 46: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (cyqua) Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "I think one post per book would be easier. As long as it is clearly done you could do mutiple books in a post. Just be sure to make it a new post not update an old post."

Great, thanks! That does make sense and seems more manageable :) Can't wait to get started!

message 47: by Dusty (new)

Dusty I would like to not pick items for this round. Maybe next round.

message 48: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Ok, the list of pickers is up in post 4.

I will be posting the first list tomorrow.

message 49: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle great :) it's my first time, so be nice, ok? :)

message 50: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 3564 comments Mod
Ok I need to ask something can we repeat items? Like if we are stuck coming up with a couple of items can we use items that have been used?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16