Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Dark soul of the knight

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
http://www.veryshortlist.com/vsl/dail...

I'm a fan of when things go viral like this. Especially when it brings an asshole to light. I wonder how many other Hollywood assholes there are out there that I've previously worshipped (and would have put on my free pass list had I not known) who deserve to be brought out like this.
What a jerk.

I make it a point to never talk to anyone in a manner in which I'd not want to be talked to. I'm no better than anyone else. Why is he?

message 2: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments What don't you fucking understand?

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Thanks Gus, for posting this on Facebook. I stoled it.

I love how it is sorta Batman-esque. 1991 batman, that is.

Does this remind anyone of American Psycho?

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh, Matthew...

My wife said she heard was "in character".

I will be using "I'm in character" to excuse my misbehavior for the foreseeable future.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

He is a method actor, isn't he.

Has anyone seen The Machinist? Movies about insanity make me insane, or else I'd see it. I do think he's talented. But not excused.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Is that the one where he became all skeletal for the role? I didn't see it either, but I saw a picture, and it was creepy.

Eek. I found a pic.

http://www.socalworkout.com/wpblog/wp...

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

eek indeed!

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments character is who you are in the dark when no one is around. i am sure people like this have their inner jerk leap out of the nice face every once in awhile.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori Supposedly the guy just didn't walk into Bale's sight lines, but actually on camera so the take was baaaaad.

While in no way do I condone Bale's behavior, as an ex-actress I can see how this would completely tick an actor off, especially if he was giving his all and thought it was the Perfect Take. It's like an artist completing something he thinks is his masterpiece, and someone irresponsibly spills some glaring horrific splotch on the canvas.

Unless the artist is someone like Jackson Pollack!

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell This reminds me of this video of the director of I ♥ Huckabees going nuts on Lily Tomlin.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LuihIXf_X_U

BTW, David O Russell is no relation of mine, but this video does look like my last family reunion.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments somehow i can never see it being right going off on someone like this in public. how bout some control and a bit of humility instead of thinking everyone around you is here to serve you. it is not about you

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Says Kevin to Mr. Bale.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah, someone give me his cell number number and i'll text him

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori No, I agree, it's not right to ever ram your temper down someone else, especially if they are on the same team as you, working just as hard. Accidents happen, asshole!

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments A mentor (heh) of mine once said, "I never go off on a person and think, two hours later, 'my, i'm so happy i went off on that person'" I agree with that.

Good one, Russell, our Dave, I mean...

message 16: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Does this remind anyone of American Psycho?

When my hubby was listening to this I thought it was a clip from American Psycho. Scary. I know that his Mom & sister (girlfriend?) brought assault charges against him. I was ready to give him the benefit of the doubt when I didn't know what really happened, but this is too much.

Yea, I get the artist thing. I did my time doing serious acting, but I would never go off on someone who made a mistake (unless it was on purpose, then I'd get all Banshee on their ass ).

message 17: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Let's face it: there's not a single actor or actress that hasn't had a meltdown on set.

Bale's only guilty of having that meltdown caught on tape.

message 18: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) You can also download the MP3 of that very same viral video from RevoLucien's web site.

That MP3's on my iPod right now. I'm loving it.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments C'mon, there's got to be some that don't melt down. I can't see, like, Dakota Fanning freaking on set. At least not yet.

message 20: by Heidi (last edited Feb 05, 2009 06:35AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Lori wrote: "While in no way do I condone Bale's behavior, as an ex-actress I can see how this would..."

Lori, I hear ya... as someone who worked as a producer/line producer/associate producer for years, I can say, first of all... the DP KNOWS to not walk in front of the camera. (S)He knows this because the camera and the film inside the camera is HIS/HER responsibility, a v. expensive responsibility.

Believe, it or not, a mistake like that one can be an expensive mistake - both literally (35mm film is not cheap, add to that the film gets sent off to a lab for processing at a pricey fee per roll... and the staff processing the film gets paid... and the director/production rep supervising gets paid... plus the person babysitting the film gets hotel, per diem, food costs set by union standards can be added to that ticket) - i.e. We all know that time is money. In film production, time is ALOT of money.

I imagine it was a crappy moment for Bale, and he was expressing what everyone on the set was probably thinking at that moment. It was a careless mistake, sure... but in film production, careless mistakes cannot happen. Plus, the DP is one of the people on the set who sets the standard for professionalism on the set. It's just the way it is. That's the sort of mistake that make someone unhireable ever again in that business.

People who work in tv/film production, as a collective, are generally easy to set off (it has alot to do with why I got out of it). One has to have extremely thick skin to work in that sort of environment. I'm sure the gaffer and the grips were all freaking out because they'd have to check the lighting on the set to make sure everything's still good; the sound guy would have to do a check; the makeup artist would have to refresh Bale's makeup, as well as anyone else who needed to get a refresher; and I cringe knowing that this means the producer would have to do some serious number crunching because this delay translates to alot of people getting paid for extra time that was not planned or budgetted for so producer would have to shuffle the budget around and is likely sitting on pins and needles until the shot is ready to go again because EACH second translates to ridiculous amounts of money.

Plus, I can understand why for the actor on the set having "a moment" stolen would be horrible. It may be a moment that can never be duplicated. It'd be like a writer getting into the story he/she's written, to be a couple of paragraphs from finishing the story... and someone else pulls the plug on the computer... and none of it's saved.

message 21: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 05, 2009 06:33AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments But do you think the set tension makes it ok to freak out on someone? I'm genuinely interested. In what professions would it be ok to lose your cool on a regular basis? Or is it just every now and then? I mean, everybody loses their cool now and then. Right? I wouldn't want to slam someone for losing his/her cool every once in a while, but if it was an everday occurence, it's different. It's an interesting issue.

message 22: by Heidi (last edited Feb 05, 2009 06:47AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments YES. OMG, yes... in that particular instance, I believe that if Bale hadn't freaked out on the DP, someone else would've. I'd pinky swear on that. And that someone else wouldn't be getting linked to this thread because (s)he doesn't have the instant public recognition that Bale does. I went to the IMDB page to see if Bale had any producing credits for the movie, because that would, in following logic, make that particular experience worse for him because that would mean that either his money would be invested in the film or he is a guardian of that money. He doesn't, though.

I'm, of course, referring to this from the perspective that it's an isolated incident. People who tyrade like that on a regular basis and develop a reputation should find another career choice, IMHO... something considerably less stressful.

I'm irked that this is even "newsworthy" because the person who leaked that to a gossip rag obviously doesn't understand how the film production world works. My guess is that Shane (the DP) knew he f*cked up. And he likely expected that tyrade from someone. I don't imagine it hurt his ego anymore than knowing he f*cked up would've... again, you have to have thick skin to work in that biz. Again, Shane would be lucky if he ever got another gig in film. That's the kind of mistake that can cost a DP his/her career.

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't know. I'm having a hard time with this. I think it's a slippery slope to give a person a free pass to verbally abuse someone on a regular basis (although this might not be a regular basis) because they're losing money or whatever. I wouldn't know where to draw the line, and I'm not sure that's the best way to approach a situation. Then again, like I said, everybody loses it sometimes, and I wouldn't want to characterize someone as evil or whatever for being human.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I should mention, RA, that I was in the process of editing/adding that 2nd paragraph when you posted your response.

message 25: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell MY understanding is that the DP didn't walk in front of the camera. He walked behind an actress Bale was doing a scene with, throwing off Bale's concentration. But I don't know if that makes a difference.

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yea, Sweeter just had to straighten me out on that one too. He wasn't breaking a well-known Hollywood taboo, he was just annoying Bale by moving and being alive during a shoot.

message 27: by Dave (last edited Feb 05, 2009 08:25AM) (new)

Dave Russell I think annoying Bale is a well known Hollywood taboo now.

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

ha! Dave rules!

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think his mother made some comment to the press about how now the world sees actual proof of his temper.

message 30: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Dave wrote: "This reminds me of this video of the director of I ♥ Huckabees going nuts on Lily Tomlin.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LuihIXf_X_U

BTW, David O Russell is no relation of mine, but this video does l..."

Since there are two versions of the Tomlin rant with the exact same dialog but with different clothing, I think the whole thing is staged. In one version, Hoffman is represented by a cardboard cutout and the director is wearing a red wig and tennis clothes, In the nect one, Distin Hoffman is there, the director is dressed in a suit, but the actions and words are just the same.

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments it is only funny to me when it is someone who everyone thinks is all sweet and innocent. like if alice from the brady bunch started kicking stuff and tearing up the set THAT would be funny. or Pee Wee Herman only if he staying in character. i love when they do "blooper" out-takes of animated movies where the cast gets mad

message 32: by Heidi (last edited Feb 06, 2009 06:06AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments SO, was the DP in the shot or not? Because if he was, that's still not cool. I dunno, maybe my perspective is all forked up because I was soooo emotionally abused while working in tv/film production by a Miranda Priestly-like director that I started to think that I should just sit and take it. It seemed normal to me at the time. Looking back on it, I understand just how messed up that sort of logic is. It's taken me years to get over that (and I still don't know that I am).

I forgot about Bale's blow-up against his family, though... hrmmm. It sounds like he could use some anger management classes. :) What's ironic to me is that the movie will likely go on to make eleventy billion dollars and will get lots of praise and hoo ha... and Christian Bale will be redeemed by the very forgiving movie audiences and all this will be a blip on the radar of life... and poor Shane will still be haunted by that tantrum... if he's normal.

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments if you have ever had someone go totally Banana-zoid on you in public you normally won't ever do it to anyone else afterwards

message 34: by Heidi (last edited Feb 05, 2009 11:43AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments That's very true, Kevin. When I was a PA in tv, I was supervised by a bitchy producer who would do that to me regularly. I swore to myself after she left that I would never emotionally abuse, bully, or berate someone working with me... not in the manner she did. When one of the interns who worked under me confided to me that she was getting just that from another producer, I confronted that person and told them to stop. She said she had no intention of stopping... so I told her that I'd encourage the intern to report her, and we'd been keeping careful documentation of every bullying incident. It stopped after that.

What's cool to me is that about a month ago, that intern (the one I'd taken under my wing) and I had a nice chat when we ran into each other while out. I told her that I was sooo proud of her - she's working as the spokesperson for the secretary of state now. Before that, she did the same thing for one of our state senators. She acknowledged to me that she considers me to be her first mentor at work and tries to treat people as I treated her. It made me cry. I kind of assumed that she maybe forgot about it...

message 35: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Sandy,

There have been parodies of the original, but the original is real.

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Ooooooh...

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i try to remember that i am one of the little people

message 38: by Lori (new)

Lori Heidi. I LOVE you for that.

message 39: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments For what? I posted a mouthful... :)

message 40: by Lori (new)

Lori For how you treated that intern!

Meanwhile, Bale has issued a statement:

Christian Bale has called into the KROQ Kevin & Bean show in Los Angeles to apologize for his screaming and shouting mishap while filming Terminator Salvation.

The 35-year-old actor admits, “It’s been a miserable week for me. I know I have a pottymouth, everybody knows that now. I have no confusion whatsoever. I was out of order beyond belief, I was way out of order. I acted like a punk, I regret that and there is nodbody that has heard that tape that has been hit harder by it [than me:]. I make no excuses for it, it is inexcusable and I hope that is absolutely clear.”

Christian continues, “One thing that has really disturbed me throughout this is I’m not familiar or comfortable with this notion of being a movie star. I’m an actor and I’m don’t quite know how to handle [the movie star thing:]. The thing that disturbs me so much is that I’ve heard a lot of people saying that I seem to think I’m better than anybody else. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I’m a lucky SOB. I never forget that and that is why I put so much into what I do and I care so much about it . Sometimes that enthusiasm just goes awry.”

Mr. Bale ended, “I am embarrassed by it and I regret it. And I ask everybody to sit down and ask themselves, ‘Have they ever had a bad day and have they ever lost their temper and really regretted it immensely?’”

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Stephen Colbert and Steve Martin played it out on the Colbert show on Wednesday. Martin kept walking across the set while Colbert was talking. Hilarious, and not even as hilarious as their read-off later on, in which they competed for a Grammy by taking turns reading passages from a romance novel.