Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Book/Author/Series/Genre > Outlander, what do you think of it? **Possible Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments A friend of mine really loved and recommended Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I've read some reviews that go either way, either they loved it (5 stars) or hated it (1 star). I understand it's a romance, it's got time travel, and some violence in the book. One review even said near the end there was a gay rape. I picked this to read for our A-Z Book Title Challenge but I'm actually a bit nervous reading this one. I don't mind reading historical romances but I'm not into PNR. Out of 12527 reviews on Goodreads it got an overall rating of 4.47 which is pretty high. There are 6 books total in the series (just search for Outlander and they will all come up). My friend mailed me the first as a birthday present over a year ago and when I serached my historical romance shelf to enter into Goodreads I discovered I had the second in the series. Since there is so much in this book (and it's so thick), I thought I'd just ask what others on the group here thought of the book.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Although there is time travel, I wouldn't classify this as PNR. It's almost more like a historical romance. The main character, Claire, is from 1940-something, she was a nurse in WWII. She time travels back to 17something Scotland, and then the rest of the book takes place then and it feels a lot more realistic than most PNR or fantasy.

I'm one who gave this book 5 stars, I loved it. There are a couple uncomfortable scenes, including the gay rape at the end. I personally don't have problems with things like that, but if you do you may not like the end. But it's such a great book. I say read it, and if you're squeamish about that, just skim through that scene. Claire is a great character, and Jamie is one of the greatest heroes in romantic fiction.

message 3: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 04, 2009 03:45PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments Nichole wrote: "Although there is time travel, I wouldn't classify this as PNR. It's almost more like a historical romance. The main character, Claire, is from 1940-something, she was a nurse in WWII. She time tra..."

Normally I'd never pick up a book to begin with if I know it's got a gay rape scene in it. I read a few reviews where it said that there was violence or abuse in the book, even by the male lead to the female lead. Again, that's a red flag that would mean I normally wouldn't read a book that includes this.

But so many people have such high ratings for this book.... I'm tempted but it's seriously outside my comfort zone based on some of the reviews I've read. If most of the book is good, I might be able to get past some of this, but it could also be a deal breaker for seriously disliking the book depending on how it's done. I guess with a book over 600 pages, I hate to invest the time if I don't think I'm gonna like it.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Those are the two scenes I'm thinking of. I have no trouble with rape, m/m or any of that, so that scene didn't bug me at all. It was really emotional and gripping to me.
There is a scene where Jamie paddles Claire - because that's the way things were back then. It's not violent, and it's done for a reason. Even so, it's probably one of the most uncomfortable scenes I've ever read in a book (and that's saying a lot.) But taken in context, you can understand it, and it's something that Claire gets past, and you as a reader get past it with her.
I think those things make it a more satisfying read, ultimately. It's realistic, and it's unflinching, and it's things like that that really pull you into the world.
I think everyone on the planet should read this book, and I would encourage you to push your boundaries a little bit and give it a chance. But I'm always intrigued by the more sordid aspects of life, and if you're not, it may not be your thing.

message 5: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 04, 2009 04:04PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments Nichole wrote: "Those are the two scenes I'm thinking of. I have no trouble with rape, m/m or any of that, so that scene didn't bug me at all. It was really emotional and gripping to me.
There is a scene where Ja..."

A spanking isn't too bad as long as that's all it is. Having been abused by ex-husbands I have absolutely no desire to read books that include it (or watch movies that include it). Seriously a turn off. It sounds like this isn't that bad, other than the m/m rape scene (which I may have to skim over and skip a couple pages near the end). I won't have time to start this in Feb I don't think because of our Feb reading challenges. lol But I've made out my two A-Z author and book challenge lists and put this on it and pulled it out to try it. (Leaves time for others to get their two cents in worth on reviewing it too. lol)

P.S. If you like romantic time-travel books this is good. A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux. I would highly suggest however that you get your hands on a regular edition of this book, not the special edition. The author went back and added nearly 100 pages to the book adding more about the female leads old boyfriend being an abusive alcoholic. It wasn't really necessary, is distracting, and takes away from the rest of the very good book. I've read the original several times though and loved it. Need to get rid of that special edition though. lol

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user I would definitely classify Outlander as more of a historical rather than a paranormal, only it's a historical with a somewhat modern woman. I don't recall any abuse of the heroine and the rape scene was brief, I believe.

It's not my favorite but it's an enjoyable, sweet romance, if a little lengthy. The characters are original, developed and are largely realistic. Gabaldon is a more than competent writer, so I would suggest you give it a go.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I loved this book. You have to keep in mind that it takes place in the mid-1700's in the highlands of Scotland. It was a violent time and place so it's not a light, fluffy novel. There are some tastefully written sex scenes, Claire does get the belt but you understand why Jamie felt the need to do it, remember it's the 1700's, and the rape scene at the end, like most of the violent parts of this book, are told in flashbacks. Aside from the fact that it involves traveling from 1945 to the 1700's it's not paranormal. I have it classified as historical romance.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments Only one reviewer said it might possibly be paranormal. Everyone else although they said it was hard to classify just called it romance and time-travel. Perhaps they thought the time-travel part was paranormal? lol No idea. This is one of the few books I've read alot of reviews on before deciding to add it to my to-read list.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments Whenever I start this megolith, lol, probaby next month. Anyone want to join me? This definetly seems like a good book to have someone to discuss it with. Does this group have a BOM? So I can suggest adding this one to it.

message 10: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments We don't have a BOM in this group, but Jess (Who's Your Author?) and Tricia and her group (Paranormal and Urban Romance, Monthly Group Reads) are doing BOM reads.

You might like to check their groups out.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) But both of those groups focus on PNR and urban fantasy, and I'm pretty sure BriansGirl has said she doesn't like PNR and/or doesn't have much interest in it...

The Next Best Book Club group is reading Outlander this month, though.

message 12: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Good call, Nichole...LOL...Good that you were able to come up with a substiture recommendation...LOL..

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) The European Royalty group have just started to read this as book of the month, I suspect that they will also be voting to read the others in the series

message 14: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 05, 2009 02:07PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments Thanks. Both groups started reading it Feb 1st, so I better hop to it! lol