Marmee and Louisa: The Untold Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Mother Marmee and Louisa discussion

new book on Alcott women

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eve (new)

Eve LaPlante Marmee & Louisa The Untold Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Mother by Eve LaPlante

My new book, a dual biography of Louisa May Alcott and her mother, Abigail, is coming out in November. I hope you'll all check it out.

Best,
Eve

message 2: by Brianne (new) - added it

Brianne Silva Definitely! I love Alcott.

message 3: by Eve (new)

Eve LaPlante Please let me know what you think --

message 4: by Taryn (new) - added it

Taryn Hi Eve,

I work at The Mary Baker Eddy Library and can't wait to start your book! We're having a book discussion about it on Saturday, March 2 at 11 a.m. (in person) and 2 p.m. (via conference call) in anticipation of your Author Talk on Thursday, March 7.

Thank you for "Resources for Book Groups" on your website, it's really insightful. I've invited my goodreads book group to read and come to the book discussion and talk at the Library--I'm sure it will be a good crowd.

Best,
Taryn

Kathryn Lilly I love your book. It is wonderful. I adore the Grimke sisters. I just watched the series on PBS about abolitionists. It dovetailed nicely. I am going to have my book club read it.

Thanks

message 6: by Eve (new)

Eve LaPlante So glad to hear that, Kathryn. I watched the PBS series too. I hope your book club enjoys Marmee & Louisa.

message 7: by Eve (new)

Eve LaPlante Taryn, keep me posted on what's happening at MBE library. Very exciting! I look forward to meeting you.
eve

Sandy I enjoyed this book. I knew women had little rights in the 19th century but the degree of oppression was appalling. I felt such sympathy for both women, but especially for Abigail. As I read, I grew to actively dislike Bronson Alcott. It was a wonderful glimpse into the sad and unsettled life of genteel poverty that Louisa May Alcott and her mother and sisters had to endure.

message 9: by Eve (new)

Eve LaPlante Sandy, I'm glad to hear from you. I too was surprised by the limitations imposed on women then.

Joanne I just finished this book, and had a long discussion about it with my son, who is a State Supreme Court Justice. He has worked hard for justice for all, and was a good sounding board for my anger about what women went through in the days of Louisa May Alcott.
I have seldom loathed a person in a book as much as I did the effete Bronson.
I thought it was a wonderful book, carefully researched and well written.

message 11: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne This book is nothing short of wonderful. The fact that Louisa's mother was such a strong, progressive force is totally ignored by history.

It made me appreciate my beloved "Little Women" even more.

Linda I learned so much reading this book. I echo the thoughts on women's rights; I never realized women had no rights at all back then. I still get angry thinking how Bronson abandoned his family. How could anyone respect him when he wouldn't even support his family? I have nothing but admiration for Abigail, and her brother was a true gem. After reading this, I reread Little Women and enjoyed it immensely.