Fevre Dream
This topic is about Fevre Dream
Past Group Reads > Fevre Dream - spoilers inside

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Sooo.. what did you think?
I loved it - the bits that really stood out to me were the descriptions of the river and boats, it really made it come alive for me.
I also thought the corrollation between the vampire/human relationship and that of slavery was interestingly written - thoughts? what did you make of Abner and Joshua's friendship?

Kirsty (KirKel) | 1160 comments Mod
Abner is such a great character!

I will comment more on this - got to go (3 year old throwing a tantrum - so much for thinking I could go on the Air for a minute during the day)

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Kirsty come back! Either no-one else has read it or no-one wants to talk about it!

Sarah  (Scheherazade) | 363 comments Mod
I loved the descriptions of the river and the boats. Those and the fog made it so atmospheric -- although more dreamlike than creepy to my mind. I think the main reason I loved this book so much, though, was Joshua. I've never come across another vampire character quite like him, and I found it really refreshing that he was so different. His relationship with Abner, and the way they gradually come to trust each other, I found strangely touching. That's probably why I loved the ending so much!

I, too, thought it was interesting how the vampire/human relationship was construed as slavery. I suppose that's why it reminded me of Dracula so much. I don't know if Martin meant to include such parallels, but I thought Billy Tipton was an interesting take on Renfield.