You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > October 2012 - Book Nominations Open!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments By a whisker the theme for October will be Death / Dead Character as Narrator or Main Character (nicknamed Death Narrates) and nominations are now open!

A few things to consider when nominating a book:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.
- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print or 2) available as a reasonably-priced e-book (under $12) or 3) published no less than 3 months ago. These are not requirements of course, but suggestions :)

Nominations will be open until September 17. Time to get those lists and spreadsheets out :-D

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments Silver wrote: "Death with Interruptions by José Saramago"

Welcome to our group, Silver! Is it the book group that drew you to us?

message 4: by Silver (new)

Silver | 467 comments Janice wrote: "Silver wrote: "Death with Interruptions by José Saramago"

Welcome to our group, Silver! Is it the book group that drew you to us?"

Thank you. The name at first caught my interest when I saw it listed I think under the featured groups or recently active I am not sure which. And when I checked the group out I was really intrigued by the idea of reading several books about a similar subject. That seemed like an interesting idea to me.

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments I was going to nominate The Book Thief but it is 550 pages. It is such an awesome book and one of the few books that I've given 5 stars this year.

Instead, I will nominate First Grave on the Right since I already have the audiobook in my library.

message 6: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments Janice wrote: "I was going to nominate The Book Thief but it is 550 pages. It is such an awesome book and one of the few books that I've given 5 stars this year.

Instead, I will nominate First Grave on the Righ..."

Both great choices.

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Amber wrote: "A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore"

Good one! I like Christopher Moore :)

message 9: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Not sure if this is along the right lines but A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

message 10: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments A Blessing on the Moon by Joseph Skibell A Blessing on the Moon by Joseph Skibell

Part Holocaust horror story, part ghost story, and part Jewish comedian, sometimes all in the same scene.

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments My nomination is Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. It's young adult and explores some interesting themes about death and grief.

message 12: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Sorry to close the nominations so soon after opening them, but October is just around the corner (I know, most of us DON'T want to be reminded of that!). I'll post the poll in a few minutes.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.