Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Inactive Discussions > Crash Course in Posting Pics

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 18, 2012 12:09PM) (new)

This is a brief tutorial for those of you who asked for help posting photos in comment threads.

If you use an image host such as Flickr or Photobucket, these will have automatic adjustment options and they will offer you complete html links. This will still be useful if you wish to post an image from other websites.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited May 27, 2013 04:22AM) (new)

Step 1.

Finding the command. If you click the '(some html is ok)' link above the comment box you'll see a list of commands, including one for images. Copy and past this into the comment box.

description

Step 2.

As this is html, you'll need a photo/picture that is already uploaded onto the internet. It can be from Goodreads, Facebook or a photo share account, etc.

Find your image and right-click on it. You'll see a command for copying the image's URL

description

Step 3

You will have to replace the example URL in the original sample command with the URL of the picture you want to post. Remove everything from within the first quotation marks...

description

And replace it with the URL of your image.

description

You may now have to adjust the size. If you don't know your image's dimensions, the next comment will show you an easy way find a suitable size.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 18, 2012 12:05PM) (new)

Hints for adjusting your image's size.

At the end of the command you'll see - Width="40" Height="100"

This is far too small. There are also size limits to the images that you post so you may have to adjust them, and retaining the correct scale can be tricky.

Here's a quick way to find an appropriate size and correct scale if your image happens to be an enormous camera photo.

If you paste your image's URL into a tab it will open a page containing just the image.

Once you have opened this page right-click on the image you'll see the command 'Inspect element'.

description

This will open up a list with various information...

description

...including it's size. (The size given is the size that the picture is as it's currently shown above the command box.)

description

You can adjust the size of the picture by lowering or raising the information box's bar...

description

...and the new dimensions will be shown in the lower right-hand box...

description

...and they will be to scale.

When you've found a size you like (and which fits within the restrictions,) replace the original sizes with the new values.

message 4: by I-like-to-read (new)

I-like-to-read (akakate) Thanks Declan

I'll do a test on in a mo if that's ok.

message 5: by I-like-to-read (new)

I-like-to-read (akakate) Rainbow socks 2

Yeah it worked. Really easy if you have a flickr account.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, it's grand for keeping you photos online. You can post any picture on the web using this, though.

Cool socks, by the way. Are they handmade?

message 7: by I-like-to-read (new)

I-like-to-read (akakate) Thanks - Yeah made by me for me.

message 8: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) the photos are blocked for me at work. I'll look at this thread again when I am home.

message 9: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments I-like-to-read wrote: "

Yeah it worked. Really easy if you have a flickr account."

Great socks!

message 11: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments Hi Declan

Hmm....I seem to be missing two things you mentioned. One is the repkace feature and another is the inspect elements. Have checked more than once and can't seem to do this right.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

You can just use your copy and paste functions to replace the sample URL with URL that you're trying to post.

To get the URL hover your mouse's cursor over the photo and click the right button. This will give you the option to 'copy image URL.' To see the 'Inspect elements' info paste the URL into a new tab on your internet browser and press return. This will open just your photo in the web page.

Are you using Windows, Roberta? It's a long time since I've used another operating system but I don't remember there being any real differences.

message 13: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments I do use Windows but i know there are some weird things that happen for me due to some serious firewalls etc that my husband installed to protect sensitive data that is on my computer. I have trouble with goodgle docs as well. Need some not crazy busy time to sort all this out.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Roberta wrote: "I do use Windows but i know there are some weird things that happen for me due to some serious firewalls etc that my husband installed to protect sensitive data that is on my computer. I have trou..."

It should still give you those same options when you right-click over the pic. I'm not sure what else I can suggest without seeing your laptop.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.