Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Archived/Extinct Discussions > Looking for romances written by men

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miau (new)

Miau | 7 comments Can anyone recommend good romances written by men? Most of romance writters are women, and very often I can't shake off the feeling, when reading from the hero's point of view, that it's the (female) author's own wishful thinking about how the male psyche works.

So I'm looking for some quality romance, no matter which subgenre (contemporary and historical, paranormal and urban fantasy, alpha heroes and beta heroes, mild warm and steamy) where the author is a man and his characters -both men and women- are credible and as plausible as possible (after all, we may be talking about sexy vampires, here).

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance!

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Sep 13, 2012 11:26AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 9533 comments Mod
Leigh Greenwood is a male romance writer. I think his male characters are very realistic, and he's not afraid to show their flaws. In his Seven Brides series, the brothers fight like cats and dogs and they don't always act like gentlemen. I think a female author might have been hesitant to show her heroes in this light.

Seven Brides series:
Rose (Seven Brides, #1) by Leigh Greenwood Fern (Seven Brides, #2) by Leigh Greenwood Laurel (Seven Brides, #4) by Leigh Greenwood Violet (Seven Brides, #6) by Leigh Greenwood Iris (Seven Brides, #3) by Leigh Greenwood Daisy (Seven Brides, #5) by Leigh Greenwood Lily (Seven Brides, #7) by Leigh Greenwood

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 181 comments Wayne Jordan writes good romances.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Are those books like seven brides for seven brothers. I love that movie!

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Sep 13, 2012 04:49PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 9533 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "Are those books like seven brides for seven brothers. I love that movie!"

Not strictly. It's about a family of boys who lost their mom at a young age, and essentially grew up half-wild. They all went in different directions and they sort of grow back together. I think it's a good series.

message 6: by Nomad (new)

Nomad I know some people on this group enjoy M/M stories. I know of some written by actual gay men if anyone is interested. Some are explicit, but most M/M that I prefer to read is not. However, if you would like a glimpse at how gay men actually think and how gay male culture influences actions and romances, I can suggest some titles.

I also know of some F/F stories written by men. All I can say is that they tend to be really bad wish fulfillment fantasies about how gay and bisexual women think and behave. I don't recomend most of them.

Oddly I can't think of any M/F romance novels or series written by men. Nor can I think of any genres that tend to include romance as a heavy side plot written by men that are M/F. Huh... now that I think of it, that's REALLY weird.

message 7: by Breeze (new)

Breeze Gabriels Inferno and Gariels Rapture is written by a man. I loved the second book more than the first (little long in the middle) Stuffy professor meets young student etc....

message 8: by Nomad (new)

Nomad I have heard it said before, and by before I mean pre-internet revolution, that there were a bunch of male romance authors writing under female pseudonyms. But who these authors supposedly were is beyond me.

It would be interesting to know who was writing under a female pseudonym back in the day. And if anyone still is. In this age of no privacy and the instant gratification of the internet, I wonder if it's still possible to remain that annonymous?

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (shinhbang) | 139 comments What a great thread! I may just take up some of these suggestions!

message 10: by Miau (new)

Miau | 7 comments I had no idea Sylvain Reynard was a man! I've had Gabriel's Inferno on my TBR list for a while, and now it may be upgraded to one of the first positions.

Thanks a lot for all the recommendations.

message 11: by Dani (new)

Dani (Dani_Marie) I had no idea either. Loved both of Gabriel's books. Can't wait for the 3rd one

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (Jyl22075) | 14 comments The Night Is Mine (The Night Stalkers, #1) by M.L. Buchman and I Own the Dawn (The Night Stalkers, #2) by M.L. Buchman are both on my TBR and are written by a man.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I can whole heartedly recommend The Cinderella Blues by Obren Bokich It is so well written, so in touch with feminine emotions and ideas that I was FLOORED to find out the author is a man.

It's chick-lit with lots of humor. The romance is good, and all sex is behind the scenes.

message 14: by Ren (new)

Ren (RenPuspita) | 128 comments The Last Night by Nico Rosso and Night of Fire (The Ether Chronicles, #2) by Nico Rosso written by Nico Rosso. Who is also Zoe Archer's husband :)

If I remember well, V.K. Sykes is collaboration between Vanessa Kelly and her husband too.

Thanks for all the recommendations!