Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Publication date for editions

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mauro (last edited Sep 13, 2012 11:01AM) (new)

Mauro (mauromdc) | 37 comments Hi,

I don't know if it's just me or this could lead to confusion:

This field is for noting the date the edition associated with the listed ISBN was published. Date published can most usually be found on the copyright page of a book. That page will tell you when the work was copyrighted - and if the book is a first edition, the copyright date will be the same as the date published. If it is a later edition, the date will be different. Some books, not all, will list dates for subsequent publications somewhere on the copyright page. The last date listed is what should be used to fill in the date published.

When the manual says you sometimes have a list of dates, it refers to "copyrighted dates", right? Cause sometimes you have the date for the different editions:
(c)YYYYY, 1988
(c)XXXXX, for this edition 1990
2nd edition-1991
3rd edition-1993, etc.

In this case, the date should be 1990?

At least it is what I find more logical.

Many people are including the date for their edition, so it is being changed when someone tries to enter his specific edition. Maybe the confusion is the statement about the "last date listed".

Have I made myself clear? Please let me know if I'm wrong...or you don't understand at all what I'm trying to say :-p

message 2: by Mauro (new)

Mauro (mauromdc) | 37 comments For what I understand ISBN doesn't change with subsequent editions, does it?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6662 comments Mauro wrote: "For what I understand ISBN doesn't change with subsequent editions, does it?"

I think it doesn't change with subsequent printings, which is probably different than a subsequent edition.

message 4: by Mauro (new)

Mauro (mauromdc) | 37 comments Well maybe my confusion comes from the difference between edition and reprint.
What I was referring to 2nd edition(2ª edición), is when they publish again the book in the same format, cover etc. Is that a reprint?

Well to summarize, the date should be for the first edition of that ISBN, not the last edition/reprint of the same?

I have observed many books with the date for the 7th edition/reprint...(Tintin ones in Spanish as an example)

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42435 comments Mod
Mauro wrote: "the date should be for the first edition of that ISBN, not the last edition/reprint of the same?"

Yes, unless the ISBN was changed as well. Or unless it is an alternate-cover edition, with a pub/printing year that corresponds to the new cover.

message 6: by Mauro (new)

Mauro (mauromdc) | 37 comments Thanks, clear now :)