Reviews for the Literary Inclined discussion

YA Dystopia/Post-Apocalyptic > Hollowland by Amanda Hocking

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo Michaels (JoMichaels) I just DL this the other day. Can't wait to start it!

message 2: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Jo wrote: "I just DL this the other day. Can't wait to start it!"

DL?

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Sarajayne wrote: " Title: Hollowland (The Hollows, #1) by Amanda Hocking
Author: Amanda Hocking
Publisher: Createspace
Published date: October, 2010
Genre: YA post-apocalyptic-dystopia/zombies
Series status: first book in The Ho..."

Hi Sarajayne, I've never read a zombie book nor a vampire book. I will be reading my first vampire book soon.

Is my assumption right that zombies just go around and eat people? LOL I love reading GOOD lit, ya know? Not saying zombie or vampire books aren't good lit, just not sure about them.

message 4: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Sarajayne wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Sarajayne wrote: " Title: Hollowland (The Hollows, #1) by Amanda Hocking
Author: Amanda Hocking
Publisher: Createspace
Published date: October, 2010
Genre: YA post-apocalyptic-dystopia/zombies
Seri..."

Thanks, Sarajayne. I am going to (eventually) give the zombies a fair chance.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Michaels (JoMichaels) DL= DownLoad :)

message 6: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Jo wrote: "DL= DownLoad :)"

LOL Oh, thanks, Jo.

message 7: by Jax (last edited Sep 16, 2012 03:59AM) (new)

Jax Sarajayne wrote: "As for vampires-I have a love/hate relationship with this character. Some of the vampire books I've read were a lot of fun to read, but I haven't read one yet that I'd consider 'good' literature-more like fun fluff lol."

Hi Sarajayne,

Have you tried the YA book The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa?

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa
I thoroughly enjoyed it - for me it was one of the better vamp books since Anne Rice...
Even though its classified as YA and the characters are all pretty young, I didn't find it juvenile.
Its written from the vamps point of view, and Julie Kagawa's writing style is pretty easy going (for me at least.)

Here's a link to the review I did for it:
my review

message 8: by Vered (new)

Vered (Vered_Ehsani) I read Hollowland over the weekend - OMG. Review to follow.

message 9: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Vered wrote: "I read Hollowland over the weekend - OMG. Review to follow."

OMG good, or OMG bad? LOL I GUESS I can wait for the review! :o)

message 10: by Vered (new)

Vered (Vered_Ehsani) BAHAHAHA (as she cackles while stirring her cauldron)...

Ok, I'm not that mean, at least to people I'm just getting to know
:-)
It was OMG Kick-@ss awesome!

message 11: by Vered (new)

Vered (Vered_Ehsani) Well, I figured I'd paste my review in the same folder. No point in cluttering things up mindlessly!

Hollowland
A deadly mutation of the rabies virus has wrecked havoc on the world, transforming the victims into monsters resembling zombies from a B movie. The only safe place to live is in military controlled compounds. Unfortunately, the compound Remy lives in has just been overrun with zombies and now she’s on the run through a hellish landscape of monsters, weirdoes and escaped circus lions.

This book pulled me right in, immersing me in this new world that Remy and her friends struggled to survive. I loved how Remy was such a strong character. I have to admit to being a little jumpy reading it when I was in a quiet house at night and wondering if that was the dog barking or the death cough of a zombie. Intense and absorbing, I highly recommend this (unless you’re by yourself, at night, with strange sounds outside…).
My rating: 5 / 5 stars

message 12: by ☀Rachael☀ (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) I just got this on the Audible/Kindle offer where I got the Kindle for free and the audiobook only cost $1.99 awesome!!!!

message 13: by Vered (new)

Vered (Vered_Ehsani) Cool!