Reviews for the Literary Inclined discussion

Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Steampunk > A Blurb about what Steampunk is...

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments If I remember correctly (and that's suspect), my first steampunk book will be Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger .

message 2: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments hopefully, starting to read Soulless this weekend :)

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Monica wrote: "hopefully, starting to read Soulless this weekend :)"

Starting without ME? LOL

message 4: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Vicki, are you game? :)

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Monica wrote: "Vicki, are you game? :)"

I AM game! The only problem is I have 2 books that were just gifted to me by an author so I MUST out of good conscience read those first.

But I am ready to start steampunk with Soulless...looking forward to what's in store for me. LOL

message 6: by Jax (new)

Jax Soulless was an excellent read! :D
Plus add in the dry british humor and I was in stitches a lot of the time!
Gail Carriger did a fabulous job, and her writing style left me feeling like a fly on the wall - literally sitting there watching the events unfold!

Another Great Steampunk read is Brandon Sanderson's :The Alloy of Law
Set in the same world as his Fantasy Series: 'Mistborn', but hundreds of years since then. Once again brilliantly written and entertaining.

message 7: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Soulless was such an awesome read, I just have to read the rest of the series. Great characters, great plot, great world building, great writing style. One great heroine and one of the sexiest werewolf in literature. Enough said :)Thanks for the suggestion :)

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Guess I am too late, huh? I have to figure out this group thing and organize it better.

Did anyone else read with you guys? I just finished The Baptist by Ruby Barnes yesterday. The author is a group member. :o)

I am reading Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1) by Wendy Higgins now but I WILL read Soulless soon!

message 9: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments You're never too late, Vicki :) As you saw, I refrained from dishing out details, so that we could discuss it later :)

message 10: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Ok, ok, I know I'm going to be in trouble with this group now. You guys have sold me on Soulless, darn it all. I hope you're happy. I have an impossible list of books, and you just added another one. ...

:-)

message 11: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Phoenix Rising looks intriguing too ;)

message 12: by Jax (new)

Jax Well Poo! My To Read list is never gonna get any shorter with recommends like these! ;D
Then again, neither is my wishlist! LOL

message 13: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Monica wrote: "You're never too late, Vicki :) As you saw, I refrained from dishing out details, so that we could discuss it later :)"

Thanks Monica.

message 14: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Vered wrote: "Ok, ok, I know I'm going to be in trouble with this group now. You guys have sold me on Soulless, darn it all. I hope you're happy. I have an impossible list of books, and you just added another on..."

Ditto! I think I have overdone it because of another YA group I'm in...jeez, will I EVER learn?

message 15: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Sarajayne wrote: "Glad people are liking Soulless :) I just read another great steampunk book, Phoenix Rising (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #1) by Philippa Ballantine, and I highly recommend it! I'll try to get in a review sometime this week, if things..."

NOOOOOOOOO!

message 16: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Especially the corset part!

message 17: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Ok, ok, enough - I'll read it, if I can find it in the school library. The Kindle version is ridiculously priced.

message 18: by Michele (last edited Sep 28, 2012 03:06AM) (new)

Michele Brenton (banana_the_poet) | 4 comments I'd like to recommend Cyrus Darian And The Technomicron by Raven Dane Cyrus Darian and the Technomicron by Raven Dane which won the Victorian Steampunk Society Best Novel of 2011 Award at the Weekend at the Asylum event last month. It is a splendid example of the genre and its sequel Cyrus Darian and the Ghastly Horde was launched at the Lincoln Asylum Steampunk weekend.

message 19: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Thanks for the recommendation (as I groan and think, so many books, so little time)

message 20: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments This folder should be renamed as "The Safe Place" where you can confess your steampunk sins :)
I'm appalled to announce my night stand now sports a staggering pile of books just arrived from my favorite place in z whole world: my library express. The whole series of The Parasol Protectorate is there, plus something else...

message 21: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments Sarajayne and everybody else who likes smart/funny/out of the ordinary prose, (slightly out of topic,) but have you read Fool by Christopher Moore? Not steampunk and highly un-pc, but Moore's wittiness remainded me of Carriger's style. Warning: prophanity and other sins are committed in Moore's story :)