Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Wicked 2 Watch > Mad Men

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) Ok, I've recently started watching this show on Netflix, I'm on the 2nd episode of season 2 so far. I'm really loving it, the feel for the era and the city, the hotness of Jon Hamm... But at the same time I'm wanting to go back in a time machine and kick ass for the way the women are treated. Makes me so grateful to live now when I have more rights and options. But still makes me nostalgic for the past too. It's conflicting. And intriguing, I can't get enough. I want to smack Don Draper around a little though for all the cheating he does on his wife! I mean, he's got a beautiful wife who loves him and wants him in bed, but he pushes her aside and goes to bang some beatnik chick against a wall, or the girl from the store. That one was almost worse for me, because he gave more of himself to her than he had to anyone, even his wife. Like he told her about his past, and his childhood, stuff he works hard to keep secret from everyone else. I don't know. He's a conflicted character... I see good in him, but he needs to straighten up his act or something, lol. But man he's hot, I can't tear my eyes off of him. I like other characters too, Peggy, who moved up from secretary to writer, and the other men around the office, and even snarky Joan. I find myself liking her despite her bitchiness. I can't wait to watch more and more of this show.
Anybody else watch?

message 2: by Leea (new)

Leea Kit, I've watched Mad Men from the start and have to agree Don drove me nuts with his cheering but then it just became part of the story and era. Can't wait to think of the next few episodes.

message 3: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde I watched the first two episodes of Mad Men and really liked it. I thought it was well done and good art. I need to get back to watching it. I am waiting for winter.

message 4: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde I know I only saw two episodes but I like how we see Don as this guy who is torn between the safe (wife, kids, etc...) and the real (gritty girl on the side)
I think to some degree we all have been there and I think they show that challenge well.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I'm liking what we've seen so far, but we are an episode shy of finishing the first season and my husband isn't wanting to watch it right now because he's more excited to be catching up on season 2 of Boardwalk Empire at the moment.

message 6: by Leea (new)

Leea I have to say that as the seasons progress, I miss that messed up, ladies man, drinking Don the most. Haha! How twisted am I?

The first season was shocking to watch, the way the women in the office were treated and how the men would just sleep with their secretaries.

Also, from season 1-2 they jump like 5-6 years ahead. It's interesting.

message 7: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) I'm in the middle of season 3 now and still loving it. Understanding Don a little better, and really loving how Peggy is just rockin' out, getting her hair and clothes different, being more confident, having a little more fun. I also like seeing Don's wife Betty getting a little stronger in her own right, though she's starting to seem a little bitchier to me now. I guess that's a double standard for me, I didn't like seeing her being walked all over, but now she sticks up for herself and I say she's a bitch... lol! Gonna watch a few more episodes tonight after the little one goes to bed, can't wait :D