Laurie R. King Virtual Book Club discussion

Archived Off-Topic > Bouchercon 2012 - Calling all FOLs!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickivanv) | 282 comments Mod
Hear ye, hear ye, all Bouchercon attendees--we need to set up a time for a get-together with Our Fearless Leader. Here's what she says:

I have panels Friday at 1:30 and Saturday 10:15, lunch Thursday, breakfast Friday (Sisters in Crime) plus various dinnertime things.

So I could do Friday early lunch or Saturday from noon on--want to see what works for the others? Just let me know asap.

So, when do y'all think would be good? It might be fun to do lunch Friday and go to the panel together. Or would y'all rather do Saturday dinner?

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin (tangential1) | 1638 comments Mod
Isn't Saturday dinnertime the big post-Anthony award reception? Or is that a little after dinnertime? I can't remember the timing.

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Yep, looks like that is the case. From the Saturday schedule:

Saturday, Oct 6

Panels begin at 9 am and end at 5 pm

Afternoon: Mary Higgins Clark event / Elizabeth George event

Evening: Anthony Awards/Reception

message 4: by KarenB (new)

KarenB | 352 comments Let's do a Friday early lunch and plan to take up the front row of the panel. Always fun being part of a fan group! Or we could do a Saturday lunch with Laurie if she'd like.

message 5: by John (new)

John (jtb1951) | 549 comments Mod
Friday early lunch is great with me, there aren't any 11:30 panels that I can't live without. I will go with the consensus. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

message 6: by Erin (new)

There was an 11:30 Friday panel that I wanted to go to...but I wouldn't mind sneaking out early to go to lunch =)

message 7: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (laideemarjorie) | 38 comments Hi, I just found this thread (I really miss using the old VBC on Laurie's page, but that's another discussion). I'd hate to wait until Saturday to do anything together because I want to meet up with the new people (and the regulars!) and at least know who they are so I can chat with them throughout the conference. Vicki, is there a way to do a quickie meet up (sans Laurie) like we did in Baltimore. Like on Thursday morning just before the first panel, for instance? Just to say hi? Thanks. --Marjorie Tucker

message 8: by Erin (last edited Sep 20, 2012 11:04AM) (new)

I love the idea of doing a quick breakfast/coffee meet-up. Though I'm not getting in until Thursday evening myself, so I'd ask for a Friday coffee meet-up personally ;-)

A daily coffee meet-up before opening panels might be fun anyway. Compare which panels everyone is going to each day? So we can save seats or whatever =)

message 9: by Jessica C. (new)

Jessica C. (wispofacloud) | 26 comments I was kinda interested in the I am Woman, Hear me Roar panel at 11:30, but like Erin I could sneak out early. The question then is, where would we go? What's Laurie's favorite kind of food? And does anyone like me have dietary restrictions? (gluten-free here) I could help to find the perfect place if I know that stuff, and could see if said place could accommodate us.

And I would be interested in meeting up before too.

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Laurie has had dinner open up on Friday--would y'all rather do that so as not to miss any panels? Like a 6-8 thing?

message 11: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (laideemarjorie) | 38 comments That would mean missing the Criminal Elements cocktail hour. I'm not at all against doing that, but I wanted to point it out to y'all. Do we know what time the Charity Auction starts? Is it 7:00 or 8:00? --Marjorie

message 12: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (laideemarjorie) | 38 comments And Vicki, please thank Laurie for agreeing to meet up with the FOLs. It makes our Bouchercon special.

--Marjorie (who is flying on American Airlines and is therefore slightly hysterical at this point about the flights.)

message 13: by John (new)

For anyone interested, here is my Bouchercon photo album on FB: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...

John.

message 14: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Flynn | 1158 comments Mod
John wrote: "For anyone interested, here is my Bouchercon photo album on FB: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...

John."

Ack the link is not working for me.

message 15: by John (new)

Sabrina wrote: "John wrote: "For anyone interested, here is my Bouchercon photo album on FB: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...

John."

Ack the link is not working..."

Try it again, Sabrina; I changed the permissions to public.

John.

message 16: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Flynn | 1158 comments Mod
Thanks John! Those are some great pictures. Looks like a ton of fun.

message 17: by PatF (new)

PatF Floyd John, the link is still not working for me.

message 18: by John (new)

PatF wrote: "John, the link is still not working for me."

Pat, here is the link again; let's see if it works now: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/ed...

John.

message 19: by PatF (new)

PatF Floyd Thanks, John. It works now. Great photos including that flaming birthday cake!