Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > THE KILLING MOON: World-building (*SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments What are your thoughts on Jemisin's world-building in this story?

I'm finding it to be superb - evocative and immersive. The author uses a lot of sensory cues - sounds, smells, descriptions of clothing and custom and festival, light peppering of created language, etc. - that I find very effective.

What about you? Did this world feel believable? What do you like (or dislike) about it?

message 2: by Oni (last edited Sep 13, 2012 07:26PM) (new)

Oni (onisur) | 46 comments Finish! Great book. Actually I planned to read it after Snow Crash.

I find it refreshing that it is not based on the western medieval chivalry stereotype like most dungeon-and-dragon type fantasy. The main culture is African and the majority are people-of-colors (actually I read it later in the interview with author section that it is based on Ancient Egypt).

But what I like most is the way the author slowly unfold the story, not too slow to make you bored, and not too fast to make it like a fast-food novel. (I am glad that I don't open the glossary at the end of the novel. I think it will kill the fun of finding out by yourself).

And the magic system building which based one ancient Greek-Egypt tradition of four body humours is interesting. Plus the Freudian and Jungian psychology in the interpretation of dream.

I am glad that this is the first book that I read after joining this club.

Very good. A solid 4 star.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) I agree Candiss. The world and the magic system are pretty original and it has to be clear enough for the plot to not only work in, be accessible to readers.

message 4: by carol. (new)

carol. | 173 comments I was impressed as well. Sad to say I had to return my book to the library, so I can't quote the exact section. Early on, when our lead was walking down the street on the way to his second collection of the night, she used a number of created words. However, her context made them all crystal clear. Something about people loitering, their only business being intoxicants, etc. just gave the exact feel of a late-night city district and introduced the reader to exotic vocabulary in an easily understood way.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) I've already sent to the library for the sequel...of course I have like 8 more library books coming, but hopefully I'll get them all read. LOL.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine | 613 comments I'm over halfway through The Shadowed Sun and enjoying it as much as the first. I was a bit confused at first aa it had been some weeks sonce I read the first one, but now have a pretty clear memory of people/ places/ magic system. The second book starts 10 years after the first...is there a third?

message 7: by carol. (new)

carol. | 173 comments I have the second book too, but have been afraid to start it until I can linger over it.

message 8: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2314 comments Mod
I really enjoyed the worldbuilding, as well. I have the kindle edition and it comes with a few extras at the end, one of which was Jemisin "interviewing" herself (it's pretty funny, and also very interesting). She talked about how she'd always been fascinated with ancient Egypt and her frustration about how so much fantasy is based on medievalish Europe for no particular reason.