Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight question

writers today
Maham Maham Sep 13, 2012 09:02AM
dont you think that the writers these days are running out of ideas? I mean pick up a work by O'Henry and you come across quality , which is missing today!

There are plenty of good books and great authors out there. If you're not finding them, perhaps you're looking in the wrong place.

This is difficult to answer because you've not given us much to go on but I'll give it a go.
Not necessarily. Remember, authors are writing for their audience. Not only do they have to come up with something that they enjoy writing about but they also have to appeal to their readers. Even if it means jumping on recent fads, they may have to do it.

There are only so many plot devices and ideas available that they're going to be repeated. It all comes down to the writer giving it a fresh new look.

If you want ideas you must avoid anything published by the Big Six. The Big Six produce incredibly nice looking books with gorgeous covers but the content is aimed at the average reader and the current fad. Because their risk is so high, they have to shoot for the thick part under the bell curve to quickly recover their investment. That isn't were new ideas are located. If you buy books under that part of the bell curve but are a person who aspires to exceed average you are going to be left unsatisfied.

My publisher, PlotForge, while still very small, is dedicated to publishing only intelligent fiction. This doesn't mean the stuff uses a lot of big words or experimental sentence structure. What it does mean is that the ideas, the themes and concepts, are not only deep, but are not necessarily resolved at the end of the story. Clearly this isn't targeting the thick part of the bell curve but this works for PlotForge because no one is depending on the income to support them. That might happen someday, but right now we're all are doing it because we LOVE it.

Some of their themes:
- The existential nature of reality disguised as a story about video games.
- Is it still treason if your country first betrays you?
- When is it valid to force people to make 'better' choices?

Today's writers aren't running out of ideas, but there seems to be an overabundance of people jumping on bandwagons. "Ooh, vampire books sell! I guess I should write about vampires!" And publishers keep churning out the same old stuff.

There are fine writers today, but if you want to find them, avoid mass market bestsellers, avoid anything that has "Twilight" mentioned on the cover, and anything that has hords of screaming teenage fans.

Erin :)
Dec 02, 2012 09:10PM · flag
deleted user lol
Dec 03, 2012 06:42AM · flag

Angie Elle (last edited Sep 19, 2012 10:09AM ) Sep 19, 2012 10:08AM   0 votes
I don't think there is a lack of quality writing. Like others have said, you just have to find it.

The fact of the matter is that it's business, and the publishing companies are in it to make money. To do that, they need to print what sells.

I think it's just that it's so easy to publish books these days because the process of actually printing them has sped up so much (huge increase in the volume of books printed,) so they are harder to find.

You just need to find the diamond in the rough!

Koleen (last edited Sep 13, 2012 05:32PM ) Sep 13, 2012 05:16PM   0 votes
I agree I some to add the list

There is Legend, fairy tales, myths, from around the world. There is a lot more think you can wrap your mind around. History events mystery science, culture religion arts travel. Personal experience
the Quest
Adventure
Pursuit
Rescue
Escape
Revenge
The Riddle
Rivalry
Underdog
Temptation
Metamorphosis
Transformation
Maturation
Love
Forbidden Love
Sacrifice
Discovery
Wretched Excess
Ascension
Descension
Is parts human nature it is hard to find around human nature but I think well I am tired of the same reaction not every love Rivalry the two guy what to kill ether or to girls some guy and girls are not so dramatic it about it the character reaction that my problem I feel as it the same people over and over again that repeating. That what I figured out because I thought about it as well and that what I came up with.

yea i would say so.

I agree there is a definite lack of heavy quality in books today.

I think there are only a finite amount of plots available. The difference comes (in my opinion) in the character development and combinations of outside elements used to further the primary plot.

For example, this list is my favorite list of the different types of plots there are today (20):

Quest
Adventure
Pursuit
Rescue
Escape
Revenge
The Riddle
Rivalry
Underdog
Temptation
Metamorphosis
Transformation
Maturation
Love
Forbidden Love
Sacrifice
Discovery
Wretched Excess
Ascension
Descension

Every story I've read has one of these in it as a major plot device.

Another issue is market-driven. Most stories today are written with the thought of making them into an HBO series or a movie. That's overly dramatic and over-stated, I know, but it's just to make a point.

We don't see many stories that are just a simple tale any longer, we see groups of books, hastily written, with little to no thought of the message that is being presented.

That's what makes really good books such a delight to add to a library!

Really good books are hard to find these days, but htey are out there, you just have to look, maybe run a little trial'n'error...

The books that are easy to find, are those many read, and therefor they appeal to a broad audience...

It does feel that the big publishing houses are getting more lazy these days, there's probably less people in the field today who work there because they love books, and more that just know how to make a penny.

Or we (as a collective "we") simply have become more jaded.

I think that part of the 'issue' we have with poor quality books/writing is that it has become incredibly easy to be published - take novels like Fifty Shades, this started off life as fanfiction which is a rather recent phenomena, or the advent of Ebooks and sites like Amazon which allows new authors the opportunity for their books to reach a wider audience.

A lot of the more 'modern' books which I have read (and I tend to get a lot of the free Amazon ones which admittedly may be more rife with this kind of problem) tend to have issues with editing as well as punctuation and grammar. I, personally, find such issues a lot less noticable in the older books which I read.

Previous commentators are also correct in that there are only a finite number of genre types and plots and with each new book that is published the likleyhood of being able to formulate a new and intriguing plot is lessened.