THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > KDP freebie promotion number 2 & 3

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katja (new)

Katja Willemsen (katjaw) | 27 comments I'd be interested to know what others have experienced with a second or third KDP free promotion.

My experience was satisfactory downloads (3000) for the first promo but DISMAL downloads for the second one.

Would love to hear what your experience was?

message 2: by Intisar (new)

Intisar Khanani (intisar_khanani) My experiences for the first free promotion felt strong to me: 1200 downloads over 3 days. For my second promotion, I informed 3-4 websites that post information on free books on Amazon, and had a mind-numbing 10,000+ downloads in 2 days. With the first promotion, my sales experienced a bump up for about 1.5-2 weeks and then fell down to a level only slightly higher than the original. The second promotion was just under a month ago, and my sales are still significantly higher than they were.

I shared the websites that I used on this thread (there are also suggestions from other authors I intend to take advantage of next time): http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Hope this is helpful to you! I think the key thing is only a certain number of folks regularly comb through the free books on Kindle; if they've had a go at your book already, they won't be downloading it again. So you've got to reach out to those venues that will promote your free days to readers who aren't actively searching through the lists daily.

message 3: by Katja (new)

Katja Willemsen (katjaw) | 27 comments Intisar wrote: "For my second promotion, I informed 3-4 websites that post information on free books on Amazon, and had a ..."
Thanks so much Intisar. It's good to know that it's worth having another shot at the freebie promo as I was really disappointed with my second promo. I'm aiming for later this week, so I'll post feedback afterwards!

message 4: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Walters | 12 comments Hey Katja,

I'm trying to get my bearings as well as I'm a new author. I think genre has a lot to do with it. Mine is Self Help/Death/Grieving/Motivational so I'm humble with the fact that it's not the "popular" of genres. My first promo for my book The Lotus Files was last month. I did a three day promo and had over 6oo downloads that equated to 2 additional books sold. My second promo of one day tanked at 84. I just did my third promo yesterday and took the advice from other threads by advertising on different blogs. I had over 1400 downloads in one day from that. I'm still waiting to see the residual effects. So far I had one borrow but it's still early. At this point, I'm going to expand my horizons and go to iBooks, and Nook. It was worth a shot as I just published the book in June. No complaints on my end but definitely going to move forward with other options. I will follow up with any jumps in my numbers. Hope this helps!

message 5: by Intisar (new)

Intisar Khanani (intisar_khanani) Katja wrote: "Intisar wrote: "For my second promotion, I informed 3-4 websites that post information on free books on Amazon, and had a ..."
Thanks so much Intisar. It's good to know that it's worth having anoth..."

Definitely let us know how it goes! I was able to inform the relevant websites about two weeks in advance, and I think that also allowed them time to process my request, so if you don't get as much response this time and intend to try again, definitely allow processing time for your outreach venues. :) Good luck!

message 6: by Katja (new)

Katja Willemsen (katjaw) | 27 comments Larissa wrote: "Hey Katja,

I think genre has a lot to do with it. Mine is Self Help/Death/Grieving/Motivational so I'm humble with the fact that it's no..."

HI Larissa,

Your second promo experience is exactly like mine. I was going to do a last two day promo this week as I thought that my KDP Select ended on 21 Sept, but it turns out that for some reason, I'm no longer enrolled. So I lost my two days, altho I am following up with them.

I think I'll stick with KDP as for now, I feel I want to focus on one selling site, and have the time to focus on other sites to promote the book.

I've been fascinated by how helpful bloggers generally are. It's so refreshing compared to the cynical world of publishers an agents.

As for Goodreads... I'm still new here, but I love the fact that I have my own passion for reading and a whole network of writers on the same site!

message 7: by Katja (new)

Katja Willemsen (katjaw) | 27 comments Intisar wrote: "Katja wrote: "Intisar wrote: "For my second promotion, I informed 3-4 websites that post information on free books on Amazon, and had a ..."
Thanks so much Intisar. It's good to know that it's wort..."

Thanks for the encouragement Intisar. Your experience means it CAN work!

message 8: by Intisar (new)

Intisar Khanani (intisar_khanani) Larissa wrote: "Hey Katja,

I'm trying to get my bearings as well as I'm a new author. I think genre has a lot to do with it. Mine is Self Help/Death/Grieving/Motivational so I'm humble with the fact that it's no..."

Hi Larissa, I've been thinking about your note. Genre definitely has a lot to do with it. I write YA Fantasy, and there's clearly a big market for that right now. I think your market is more of niche, and you'll meet with the greatest success seeking out those who cater directly to your target audience. Can you find / google book bloggers (or bloggers generally) who write about death and grieving? Again, give them enough time and they might be interested in doing an author interview or just a promotional spot--generally or during your free day promotions. Non-profits and social services agencies that work with people dealing with death and grief would be a good connection--so who/what do their staff read and how can you get your work in front of them? It will definitely be harder, and you'll have to think creatively, but I think you can find ways to build word of mouth about your book. Best of luck!

message 9: by Intisar (new)

Intisar Khanani (intisar_khanani) PS - just because you opt out of KDP select Does Not Mean you can't offer your book for free; it's just a little more challenging. If you publish via Smashwords and use them to distribute to, say, Barnes & Noble, you can set your price to $0.00 in Smashwords. Then inform Amazon that your work is available for a lower price elsewhere (Barnes & Noble! Oh no!) and they will price match it. Clearly, you can't set this up to run for just one or two specific days, but you can do it as a time limited offer and let Amazon know when the price "bumps back up" at Barnes & Noble. Just take into account that all of these changes take time.

message 10: by Grant (new)

Grant Morris (grantmorris) | 14 comments I'm getting ready to offer another free promo for my book, Deacon Leeds. My last one resulted in nearly 7,000 downloads. The key was submitting the promo ahead of time to sites that list them. Does anyone know of any good sites that'll feature free kindle books? So far this is my list:

http://www.pixelofink.com/
http://www.theereadercafe.com/
http://ereadernewstoday.com/
http://thefrugalereader.com/
http://www.worldliterarycafe.com/

If you can add to the list it would be appreciated!

message 11: by Katja (new)

Katja Willemsen (katjaw) | 27 comments Grant wrote: "I'm getting ready to offer another free promo for my book, Deacon Leeds..."

Keep us posted Grant, your situation makes for a fascinating case study as you had such an exceptionally successful run the first time.

what about:

http://www.allthingskindle.com/
http://www.kindleboards.com/
http://digitalbooktoday.com/
http://addictedtoebooks.com/
http://authormarketingclub.com/

Good luck!

message 12: by Grant (new)

Grant Morris (grantmorris) | 14 comments Katja wrote: "Grant wrote: "I'm getting ready to offer another free promo for my book, Deacon Leeds..."

Keep us posted Grant, your situation makes for a fascinating case study as you had such an exceptionally s..."

Thanks! I will add those to my list!

message 13: by Keith (new)

Keith | 15 comments New to this thread, so apologies if I say anything that's already been said. I applied my first KDP free promotion some months ago and 'sold' almost 7000 of my book. The second time it was closer to 400. I'm just concluding the third round (one day to go) and it's about the same. I haven't used any other sites that promote free books (my thinking is, I don't use them, why should others? I've got google to help ... ) but I have posted extensively on Twitter this time around. I'm building a Twitter followership but evidently not selling that many more books.

I think it's a question of keeping on keeping on, building those contacts, writing those comments on others' posts and writing and promoting my own blog.

Incidentally, the genre is crime writing and the free book is available here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00361ENWG#_

message 14: by Katja (last edited Sep 18, 2012 04:09PM) (new)

Katja Willemsen (katjaw) | 27 comments Keith wrote: "New to this thread, so apologies if I say anything that's already been said. I applied my first KDP free promotion some months ago and 'sold' almost 7000 of my book. The second time it was closer t..."

Thanks for the input Keith. With the exception of Intisar's experience, most of us have had disappointing results with a second or third promos. Intisar planned her 2/3rd promos well ahead across other sites - that seems to be the biggest difference.

But her target mkt is Young Adults who are probably the most geared to electronic media.

I agree with your comment about keeping on going. Without a big name publisher's marketing clout, we have to build layer upon layer and be in this thing for the long run.

message 15: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Marvello (drmarvello) | 48 comments I'll contribute my theory on KDP Select giveaways. It worked for me, but your mileage may vary.

1. Evidence shows that books have a "natural" sales level related to how well that book appeals to its target market.

2. Your book can't reach its natural sales level without some kind of promotion. There's too much other noise in the system. It needs some kind of boost to even become visible to prospective readers.

3. Your book's metadata acts like a filter between the content of your book and readers who would enjoy it. This filter affects your natural sales level. The better your metadata, the better the conversion rate from prospects (those who visit your book page) to buyers.

4. The FIRST free campaign helps you establish a baseline sales level.

5. Subsequent free campaigns may temporarily increase sales, but after about 2 weeks, the residual effect of a free campaign is exhausted. Your sales will most likely return to their previous natural level at that point.

6. The best use for free campaigns is to test metadata tweaks. Even if a book is selling poorly, a free campaign gives you a new chance to give your book the visibility it needs to find a new natural sales level based on its shiny new metadata.

The metadata I'm talking about includes your cover, your description, your categories, and your price. Use your own instincts and the feedback you get from other writers and reviewers to decide what to change. Price is always a good thing to experiment with.

Another recommendation: Do your free campaign as part of a larger promotion event with other authors in your genre. You will get more publicity leverage and the cross-promotion helps everyone involved.

message 16: by Katja (new)

Katja Willemsen (katjaw) | 27 comments Daniel wrote: "I'll contribute my theory on KDP Select giveaways. It worked for me, but your mileage may vary...."

Apologies for the late reply. Thanks very much for the input. I know very little about the metadata aspect so will look into it ASAP.