Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Games > You know you are Otaku when you...

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments It could be based on your experience or not!

- you literally cried when one of your favorite characters died
- you named your dog "Ichigo"

message 2: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) -accidentally open your non-manga book as if it reads from right to left

(⌒_⌒;)
based on personal experience

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Jean wrote: "-accidentally open your non-manga book as if it reads from right to left

(⌒_⌒;)
based on personal experience"

I've done this before, too. I once opened a book and thought, "Wow. I'm almost finished! It feels like I just started". I turns out that I had just started and I was reading it the wrong way.

message 4: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 35 comments You know you are an Otaku when...

-most of your Itunes songs don't show up with their names in the playlist because they all are in katakana or hirigana.

-Public speaking terrifies you, but slap a brown wig and a sailor suit on you, and you will dance the Haruhi or Lucky Star dance in front of hundreds of people you don't know at a con.

-you use the phrase "beautiful bishies" unironically and you are a guy.

-the only time you have seen Mickey Mouse is when he was holding a keyblade.

-you see a maid in real life and wonder where her cat ears are.

message 5: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2018 comments Mod
You know you're an Otaku when...

You can name every Pokemon ever created.

(Thankfully, I can only name the first 251)

message 6: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) D.M. wrote: "You know you are an Otaku when...

-most of your Itunes songs don't show up with their names in the playlist because they all are in katakana or hirigana.

So true! I couldn't stand the blanks and added the romanji to compensate for it.

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments You know you are an Otaku when...

-all of your largest shelves on Goodreads are manga genres
-you learned Japanese just to watch anime
-you have your own victory pose

message 8: by Selena (new)

Yup. Yup. Those apply to me, Kristen. lol

You know you're an Otaku when...

~you can understand what's going on in an anime scene without paying attention to subtitles

message 9: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 35 comments Selena wrote: "You know you're an Otaku when...

You can name every Pokemon ever created.

(Thankfully, I can only name the first 251)"

You've got me beat. Pokemon fans astound me sometimes with their knowledge of that series, and it's a long one too. I'm not sure even Gundam has as many things to know about.

message 10: by Amanda (last edited Sep 13, 2012 05:41PM) (new)

Amanda Mullins I can only name all the pokemon in 1st and 5th generations

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 378 comments you know when you are a Otaku when...

someone say animes are cartoons and you get mad then correct by saying "They are not cartoons, they are animes"

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

-when it bothers you that people call Avatar: The Last Airbender anime (technically, the animators are Korean and were influenced by Japanese animation style).

-when you write random English words in Katakana.

-when most of the books you check out from the library are manga.

message 13: by Selena (last edited Sep 14, 2012 05:04AM) (new)

- you wrote a college essay about or somehow relating to anime

(guilty of this. Romeo x Juliet has literary value. XD)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Doing just that. Writing about shoujo manga cliches.

message 15: by Jean (new)

Jean (otakumom) Wednesday wrote: "-when it bothers you that people call Avatar: The Last Airbender anime (technically, the animators are Korean and were influenced by Japanese animation style)."

That's so true. It gets my goat a lot. The creators aren't even Asian-American so you can't even make the stretch. Just because it is set in an Asian based world with some stylistic themes, doesn't make it anime. Ugh.

message 16: by Nightcore (new)

Nightcore The | 1 comments You know you're an Otaku when...

-You dream about buying a Higurashi manga and setting it down on your bed before going o sleep, then waking up and feeling sad because it's gone.

-You hear parts of anime opening themes in metal music. (Just listen to Majesty, by Blind Guardian. Part of the first Shingeki no Kyoujin opening theme is in it, played three times throughout the song. I've noticed references to video game music in other songs by the same band as well, and most of their songs all have lyrics based off of books. They're all such bookworms, just like me. Lol.)

-You have a moment of victory by finding a Blu-Ray DVD with season one of Strawberry Panic, realizing, that your mother would freak out if she found it, and then waking up and finding out it was all a dream. (This was in the same dream as the Higurashi one. XD Also, is it weird that I'm a yuri fangirl? ._.)

message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments -you read manga that are about manga *cough*Bakuman*cough*Dramacon**coughcough**

-you correct people's pronunciation of Japanese words, even though you don't speak Japanese.

message 18: by BookWonder* (new)

BookWonder* (bookwonder) | 40 comments -you accidentally add "-kun" or "-chan" to your sibling's/friend's name when calling out to them.

message 19: by BookWonder* (new)

BookWonder* (bookwonder) | 40 comments -you start to bow to your teachers and sit in seika even though you're not Asian.

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna (AnnaTheHaibane) -when you tell someone to have a safe trip, you accidentally go "itterashai!"

-you read books L to R by accident

-you have watched 200 episodes of Pokemon (which i have)

message 21: by Ipshita (last edited Apr 28, 2014 11:34PM) (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 37 comments - when you see a handsome guy in glasses and think 'megane bishie', even if you don't speak Japanese

- when you start imagining the chibi-forms of your friends and family

- when you try eating with a chopstick even though you have a fork.

message 22: by Ash (new)

Ash | 42 comments I catch myself calling my mom mama-sama, & my sisters get a chan or san @the end of their names a lot. I even call my dog Lexi chan or Lexi san sometimes. Just can't help it.

lil' Lily [ filled with DETERMINATION ] (runelily) When the first thing that comes to mind when someone says fruit basket is the manga Fruits Basket instead of a basket of fruits XD

message 24: by Selena (new)

When you recognize incorrect translations and it really bugs you for some reason

message 25: by Ilias (new)

Ilias (illias) When you ditch your friends just to watch the new aired episode :<

message 26: by Aurora (new)

Aurora When you can talk for hours about how canon ships suck and how your ships are better.
(I actually stayed up until 3 am once arguing about ships with my sister ^.^' )

message 27: by Selena (new)

When you follow a couple Youtube channels just for anime reviews and cultural analysis.

When you take the time to think up exactly how you would fix the problems with a broken/cliche/insulting anime plot