English 11 1B/D discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr. (new)

Mr. Jones | 12 comments Mod
Welcome all. I hope you're reading something you truly enjoy. If you get into it and don't like, exchange it for a different book. YOUR FIRST BOOK AND ALL ASSOCIATED ACTIVITIES WILL BE DUE OCTOBER 26. That means you'll need to update your status twice, once in September and and once in October when you finish. Happy Reading!

message 2: by Cole (new)

Cole Murphy | 3 comments This book is about Affirmed the last race horse to win the coveted Triple Crown. The Triple Crown is a series of three races; the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes. So far in this book there has been a lot of background information given about Harbor View Farm, which is where Affirmed was bred, raised, and owned. Also there is background on Steven Cauthen, Affirmed's jockey and Laz Barrera, Affirmed's trainer. I am into chapter 5 which is about the 1977 racing season. So far the book has been kind of slow but interesting and I hope that as the Triple Crown races begin the story gets faster paced and more interesting.

Affirmed: The Last Triple Crown Winner

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven | 3 comments The Way of Shadows was a great book. It follows the life of a boy named Azoth as he escapes the slums of his city by becoming an assassin. It was a fantastic read and i cant wait to get the second one.

message 4: by Milo (new)

Milo Alexandra-young | 4 comments sounds interesting steven

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric Newton | 3 comments Moneyball The Art of Winning an Unfair Game is about a Major League Baseball prospect that didn't make it in the Major League, so he becomes the General Manager of the Oakland Athletics. He and his team of Major League scouts are changing the way the Oakland Athletics evaluate the talent of the players . So far in the book it has talked about how they are going to change the way they are going to draft the prospects. So far the bok has been pretty good, there have been some sections that get a slow and boring and then there are some that get intresting.

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric Newton | 3 comments The book sounds cool Cole

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin | 9 comments Yes Cole the book really sounds interesting maybe I should pick it up next time

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin | 9 comments My book A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah so far has caught me completely off guard. At first in the story everything was normal Ishmael and his siblings were going to school out of town and actually were going to a talent show. When they came back the rebels from the war came in and tore their towns apart. They were eventually forced into hiding. When they went into hiding is where I left off.

message 9: by Jordan (new)

Jordan | 3 comments Is this based off of any particular war or event? Or is it just made up?

message 10: by Drew (new)

Drew Patterson | 4 comments Eric wrote: "Moneyball The Art of Winning an Unfair Game is about a Major League Baseball prospect that didn't make it in the Major League, so he becomes the General Manager of the Oakland Athletics. He and h..."

I've seen the movie! Really great story!

message 11: by Drew (new)

Drew Patterson | 4 comments The Blind Side Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis The Blind Side is a book based on a true story. It is about a kid, Michael Oher, whose mother is addicted to drugs, he really doesnt have much going for him. A wealthy family from Memphis, Tennessee adopts him and he is bread football from then on out. He made his way through the high school and collegiate level and currently plays in the NFL for the Baltimore Ravens.

message 12: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 4 comments I've seen the movie! Its a great movie1

message 13: by Will (new)

Will Murnan | 1 comments The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom The Five People You Meet in Heaven is about a man named Eddie who worked as a mechanic at an amuesment park and dies when trying to save a little girl from a falling ride. When he wakes up, he is in the afterlife and learns that heaven is a place where your life on earth is explained by five people who had the biggest impact on it. The book is very intresting and is now one of my favorite books.

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Blackburn | 6 comments The blind side is really good!

message 15: by Jordyne (new)

Jordyne | 4 comments The blind side is such a great movie!