Reviews for the Literary Inclined discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month > October Book of the Month Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (last edited Sep 13, 2012 05:15AM) (new)

Jessi Overton (pixibell) | 281 comments Mod
Nominate a book that you would like for us to do a group review on. The first 15 additional suggestions will be put into a poll for the group to vote on.

I'm nominating "The Mating" by Nicky Charles

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo Michaels (jomichaels) | 0 comments I saw this one in one of the threads and the synopsis looks FAB!

Aerenden: The Child Returns by Kristen Taber

My nomination!!

message 3: by Karine (new)

Karine (rhea46) Can you mention that it should only be a book by an author in this group

message 4: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (last edited Sep 13, 2012 05:19AM) (new)

It can be any author. Our authors will usually get prime status with most stuff but I don't want to limit anyone to a specific group of authors especially if they aren't familiar with their work.

message 5: by Karine (last edited Sep 13, 2012 05:21AM) (new)

Karine (rhea46) Diary of a Part-Time Ghost (Ghosts & Shadows #1) I nominate Vered's book Diary of a Part Time Ghost, it looks good

message 6: by Karine (new)

Karine (rhea46) Jessi wrote: "It can be any author"

Oh! I thought the point of this BOTM was to showcase authors who are an active part of this group, to help them gain reviews and exposure. Which makes this group different from other groups who all do a book of the month.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Michaels (jomichaels) | 0 comments Rhea wrote: "Jessi wrote: "It can be any author"

Oh! I thought the point of this BOTM was to showcase authors who are an active part of this group, to help them gain reviews and exposure. Which makes this grou..."

That was the idea so we would not only not have to buy the book in question, but we could also talk with the author about it...

message 8: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

It is but it's also to introduce new authors & books (or new-to-you authors & books) that others haven't read before

message 9: by Karine (new)

Karine (rhea46) Jo wrote: "Rhea wrote: "Jessi wrote: "It can be any author"

Oh! I thought the point of this BOTM was to showcase authors who are an active part of this group, to help them gain reviews and exposure. Which ma..."

That's what I also thought, I just don't like the idea of opening it up to any book out there. I don't want to sound like a baby, but I almost feel like I won't read it unless its an author that is a member of this group. I don't care if I'm not familiar with their work, that's how you discover new authors.

message 10: by Karine (last edited Sep 13, 2012 05:30AM) (new)

Karine (rhea46) Jessi wrote: "It is but it's also to introduce new authors & books (or new-to-you authors & books) that others haven't read before"

To me there are 10 million other book groups out there that do that. We could be different here and just do our own authors.. We already have more than 20, and most of them have more than 1 book.. Already that is more than a years worth of BOTM. We should be limiting ourselves to them. For authors who are not part of our group, that's what people's individual reviews are for.

message 11: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (last edited Sep 13, 2012 09:27AM) (new)

Most of those other groups only do certain genres this group does all. The point is to support all authors by [for example] introducing Kevin Hearne to someone who's only read Ilona Andrews & vice versa. The only real way to do that is to not limit the nominations pool to just authors in our group. Besides the final decision is going to be from the group poll so it's up to at least 15 people to nominate someone to make it up there. Authors can even nominate themselves in self-promotion.

message 12: by Karine (new)

Karine (rhea46) Things have changed, it is now not limited to only authors of this group. Unfortunately I might not participate in this anymore (or atleast the months when authors are not part of the group), as I saw the whole point of this, to help authors in this group gain recognition and free reviews.

The way I had understood things, was that authors interested, would let us know which book they would be willing to contribute, and then, we would pick the top choice for the month. I might be sounding like a baby whining, but I'm just dissapointed that we are now straying to any authors. If you really want that author known, then ask them to join the group. Is that not what this group is for, people who like to read and authors wanting to spread their works.
Okay im going to stop now,Obviously I'm probably the only one who thought this BOTM was going to be different, so ill let you guys go with the way you guys want.

message 13: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Well I do think that both of you have points. Maybe we can try it one way one month and the other way another month....or is that stupid? :-/

Regardless I nominate my book Fire Baptized (Habitat, #1) by Kenya Wright

If the book wins, I'll offer the ebooks to all the group members.

message 14: by Erika (new)

Erika (dailyreader41) | 6 comments Kenya wrote: "Well I do think that both of you have points. Maybe we can try it one way one month and the other way another month....or is that stupid? :-/

Regardless I nominate my book [bookcover:Fire Baptiz..."

Actually I think that maybe a good solution. 1/2 of the year the focus would be authors in this group and the other 1/2 for new authors. That way both objectives are being met. Just me taking out loud!

message 15: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Wow! I said something and someone listened! WOOP WOOP!

message 16: by Erika (new)

Erika (dailyreader41) | 6 comments Lol...it probably happens more than you think! Btw book looks good!

message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Taber | 78 comments Thanks for nominating my book :).

I'd love to nominate The Baptist. It looks interesting and I saw him on the author introduction section, so I know he's in the group.

The only thing I might add is before we do the final poll, we should probably check with the nominated authors to ensure they want to participate. I'm completely game for giving digital copies away, but some authors I know aren't so willing. Hopefully everyone is, though! I'm really excited about sharing these book clubs each month :).

message 18: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (last edited Sep 14, 2012 07:07AM) (new)

Rhea wrote: "Things have changed, it is now not limited to only authors of this group. Unfortunately I might not participate in this anymore (or atleast the months when authors are not part of the group), as I ..."

It was an idea but it was never set in stone. Everything with this group is still being worked. I'm sorry that you feel the way you do and you have a right to your opinion. But the point is that if you guys nominate only authors in the group as the first 15 then that's where the poll choices come from regardless how open I let the nominations be.

There are a lot of authors out there who don't get recognition who aren't apart of this group. But the whole point of this group was to introduce new (or new-to-me) authors, genres, & books regardless if they were in the group or not.

@Kenya & Erika: Thank you

@Kristen: That's another reason why I wanted it opened up to all authors because I don't want it to just come down to the group - authors providing the books, I mean they can if they want. But for the most part we have to think how it will affect them financially speaking as well as promotion wise. So we (the group) will be have to buy our own copies of the book if we really want to support them because I don't see it as fair for them to provide copies for us when we are nominating them. If that makes sense?

message 19: by Kristen (last edited Sep 14, 2012 06:34AM) (new)

Kristen Taber | 78 comments It absolutely makes sense and honestly, I intend to buy all of the BOTM/AOTM club books, rather than accept free copies offered (if there are any). I know how expensive it is to publish a book and I want good authors to be able to keep publishing, for purely selfish reasons :). I've found a LOT of great boutique and Indie authors lately, and I want to be able to keep doing that.

Let me also say thank you for starting this. I'm excited to be able to do the book club. I can never make local clubs, since working full-time, writing (and all the design and marketing that goes with it), plus a family mean I never have time to get to any local social activities. This group means I actually get to participate and read with other people. It's really such a wonderful thing and I appreciate it so much!

I'm also really looking forward to having authors discuss their books, too, since it's always fascinating for me to see what catalyzes their writing. But I don't think that has to be limited to those authors in this group to happen. I know of several authors---even medium-sized, best selling legacy ones---who accept invitations to speak with BOTM clubs via chat or Skype if their schedule allows. It never huts to ask :). Of course, I'm also game for keeping it inside the group if that's what the majority wants. I'm happy to go along with anything, so long as I have the opportunity to get to know everyone and discuss books.

message 20: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Kristen wrote: "It absolutely makes sense and honestly, I intend to buy all of the BOTM/AOTM club books, rather than accept free copies offered (if there are any). I know how expensive it is to publish a book and ..."

Thank you Kristen. And you just gave me my next project. The group is apart of Google+ but this weekend I was also going to play around with setting up a website but I think I'll look into getting us a Skype as well even though Google+ has video chat.

message 21: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments I am nominating The Angry Woman Suite by Lee Fullbright . It's a wonderful book that won the Discovery Award for Literary Fiction AND it was runner up for Historical Fiction.

The author, Lee Fullbright, is such an excellent writer! I'd love to see her book as BOTM and I KNOW you'll love her. She is a group member. Currently she is doing a blog tour (I think that's what it's called), but that finishes the end of this month.

message 22: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Awesome! I'm getting excited to read any of the books!

message 23: by Junying (last edited Sep 15, 2012 09:27AM) (new)

Junying | 27 comments I kind of agree with Rhea, about reading authors among this group. I don't know about you, but many of us belong to several groups and they all have books to read each month. If this group wants to distinguish itself, focusing on supporting the authors within this group would be a first, making it attractive to authors already in and those who are invited to join in the future.

As for free books from authors or buying them each month, I have one suggestion: perhaps the nominated author can offer a number of books, a number the author is happy to give away, say 10, 20 or whatever, first come first served, then the rest of the group will have to buy their own. This way, the authors feel supported and their books get a few sales :)

There is also another way - the author can make their books cheaper - many e-books are already fairly cheap - my two books are listed at $2.99 so they are very affordable. For example, the author can generate a code and make it $0.99 for a specified time for the group members. This way, everyone is happy.

Personally, if my books get selected, I'm happy to supply either a number of free or discounted books to group members.

Also as a reader, I think if I am given a free or discounted book by the author featured each month, I'm more likely to read it, especially if they're not my usual genre, but I'd like to show support to them.

My two pence today :) Happy weekend, everyone!

Junying, author of The Same Moon, Trials of Life

message 24: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments I also agree that it would be awesome to use our own author members as BOTM and AOTM as a show of support. Being exclusive will draw more authors. I assume most authors would also love to share their books via posts, answering questions, etc. even if they are not author of the month, especially if they are the only authors we consider to give those honors.

Janying has a superb idea for how to help support our authors via sales and some freebies as well. Great idea, Junying!

message 25: by Junying (new)

Junying | 27 comments Vicki, glad you agree with me :)

Sarajayne, yes, I understand that you have a lot on your list already, as most of us do, being GoodReads readers :). I can't guarantee that I'd participate all the time, but I'd definitely make an effort.

Any other suggestions?

message 26: by Karine (new)

Karine (rhea46) I think we may want to take a poll or figure out the full on parameters of what the BOTM/AOTM will be.

On a side note, I am also willing to pay for the book each month it doesn't have to be free.

message 27: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Poll is up.

message 28: by Junying (new)

Junying | 27 comments voted. thanks for setting it up, Jessi :)

message 29: by Monica Porta (new)

Monica Porta | 196 comments voted :)

message 30: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments voted :o)

message 31: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Taber | 78 comments Likewise :)

message 32: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Where is the poll? I shall explore.... ;-P

message 33: by Marjorie (last edited Sep 26, 2012 02:36AM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 62 comments Rhea wrote: "Jessi wrote: "It can be any author"

Oh! I thought the point of this BOTM was to showcase authors who are an active part of this group, to help them gain reviews and exposure. Which makes this grou..."

That was the idea so we would not only not have to buy the book in question, but we could also talk with the author about it... "

This is definitely what made my group read in June with Conditioned Response so "successful." I only got 4 or 5 reviews, not a huge number but the GROUP got a lively and fun discussion that brought in new members. It was a win/win. Plus free books are good for everyone (the author included if they get reviews out of it)

I'd like to nominate my short story/novella When Minds Collide (A Phoenician Series Short Story) by Marjorie F. Baldwin . It's a Dystopian SciFi. Although there is NO SEX and it was never intended to be a "love story" there ARE gay male characters who are married and one reader already has said she thought it was a wonderful love story. Since their marriage ends, I dunno about that (LOL) but some people are against reading anything with homosexuality even mentioned in it so I figured I should forewarn. Again, there is no sex, just love and a marriage that is about to end like some marriages do after 100+ years (haha) Actually the love is still there, but as many heterosexual married folks know, sometimes love is just not enough. As I illustrate in my story, people are people, no matter what their gender or sexual orientation. That's kind of my POINT in telling such character-centered stories.

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 34: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 62 comments Oh wow, I just realized, I'm way too late to this party to nominate, huh? Can I please be considered for next month, then?

My short story/novella is FREE now anyway (except at Amazon where they charge 99c)

message 35: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright woop woop I would love to check it out thanks.

message 36: by Marjorie (last edited Sep 17, 2012 10:34AM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 62 comments Oh kewel, Kenya, you have MADE my day. I was so bummed I totally missed the poll--and worse, didn't even notice it until after I'd written that long post nominating it :) It's a pretty quick and easy read and since you commented, I now realize I forgot to provide links/info on where to get it. Oops.

Read it embedded in your web browser here on Goodreads (ePub format I think)

Get Kindle, Nook, iPad and other formats from Smashwords:
http://bit.ly/WMC-Smash

I think the Apple Store has it free now: http://bit.ly/WMC-iTunes

and I think the Nook Store has it free, too: http://bit.ly/WMC-nook

I have no clue what Kobo has done to or with the book. It keeps disappearing there. I think Kobo needs to rethink how they set up book pages in a more permanent kind of address way.

message 37: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Taber | 78 comments Marjorie, I downloaded it. Looks very interesting.

message 38: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Hmm... Interesting conversation that Rhea and Jessi started. I think it is lovely that several of you have said you'd like to support authors in this group. I also get that we want to read from a wide pool.

How about this: I know there's a lot of authors on GR (not just on this group) who probably would be quite happy to give out copies of books for reviews (or do what Junying suggested). So we could even approach authors of books we're interested in and see if they're game to participate. I'm pretty darn sure a lot would jump on the opportunity.

message 39: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) And now I'll shut up and head on over to the poll. Thanks, Jessi, for setting it up!

message 40: by Junying (new)

Junying | 27 comments I second Vered's suggestion of approaching other authors :) Great idea, if we want to cover a wider range of authors and get our hands on books we really want to read :)

message 41: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Marjorie wrote: "Oh wow, I just realized, I'm way too late to this party to nominate, huh? Can I please be considered for next month, then?

My short story/novella is FREE now anyway (except at Amazon where they c..."

It's not too late to nominate for BotM...the poll is just to settle a debate.

message 42: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Junying wrote: "I second Vered's suggestion of approaching other authors :) Great idea, if we want to cover a wider range of authors and get our hands on books we really want to read :)"

I like that idea.

message 43: by Jo (new)

Jo Michaels (jomichaels) | 0 comments Marjorie wrote: "Oh wow, I just realized, I'm way too late to this party to nominate, huh? Can I please be considered for next month, then?

My short story/novella is FREE now anyway (except at Amazon where they c..."

No, you aren't too late. The poll was to decide whether or not the group was going to do authors from the group or not. It's still up, click on polls on the right hand side.

message 44: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Marjorie wrote: "Oh kewel, Kenya, you have MADE my day. I was so bummed I totally missed the poll--and worse, didn't even notice it until after I'd written that long post nominating it :) It's a pretty quick and ea..."

I am a cover FREAK!!! This cover captivated me and I LOVE it! And thank you so much! I was able to download your book from B&N for my NOOK.

message 45: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 176 comments Sarajayne,that is SO me! If I LOVE the cover, it's almost a given that I'll read it! LOL Weirdo! (me that is)

message 46: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 62 comments Vicki wrote: "I am a cover FREAK!!! This cover captivated me and I LOVE it! And thank you so much! I was able to download your book from B&N for my NOOK. "

I'm not sure I'm following the conversation correctly BUT if you're saying you love the cover to my short story/novella, When Minds Collide:

When Minds Collide (A Phoenician Series Short Story) by Marjorie F. Baldwin

then I really must say thank you, thank you, thank you! Why a triple thanks?

1) I designed it, I created it, I battled with 3 "professional" graphics designers who told me how everything about it was wrong and it would never work that way and how I should "fix" it. So far, I have gotten more compliments on this one cover than I have on anything else.

2) I love it :)

3) It's a totally relevant cover instead of just being a pretty one. That's William's eye and reflected in it is the fatal car crash that changes the course of human history in my series. He doesn't actually SEE the crash in the story but ... let's not get bogged down by reality of our fiction, shall we? LOL

Now, if you were talking about some other cover entirely - seems like you're talking about someone else's books? - then....never mind :) but I think the WMC cover is awesome even if no one else likes it. Crizzans, the DeviantArt artist whose actual eye I used to make the cover really likes what I did to his eye photo, too, so everyone involved is happy :)

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 47: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 62 comments Kristen wrote: "Marjorie, I downloaded it. Looks very interesting."

Thanks! Look forward to reading your review remarks.

message 48: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Well, I really really like that cover. Way better than the other one. It demands an answer to questions like "Whose eye" and "what is he watching so intensely" etc. So good on you, lady!

message 49: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Taber | 78 comments Marjorie wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Marjorie, I downloaded it. Looks very interesting."

Thanks! Look forward to reading your review remarks."

Be patient with me :). I'm in editing mode right now and reading's on the back burner until my book is launched (except for the BOTM books here, which I'll be sure to do). It'll likely be toward the end of this year or after the baby's born at the end of December (BF=reading time...).

message 50: by Marjorie (last edited Sep 19, 2012 05:01PM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 62 comments Vered wrote: "Well, I really really like that cover. Way better than the other one. It demands an answer to questions like "Whose eye" and "what is he watching so intensely" etc. So good on you, lady!"

Thanks, Vered!

Kristen, when you have an hour, that's about all it'll take. It's a (long) short story but reads quickly, like a short story without the "long" :-) Whenever you get to it, 'll STILL be psyched to read your review :-)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.