Persuasion Persuasion discussion

Have you seen the Movie??

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Versha Have you seen the movie based on this novel starring Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones??

Its beautiful...

Kate I loved that. It's one of my favourite Jane Austen adaptations.

message 3: by Irm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Irm Mine too. It isn't brilliant film but I really, really like it. It has some kind of magic which bewitched me everytime, especially when I'm in bad mood.

Janet Chen It's not my favourite adaptation of the novel, but I do like it

Versha I agree with Irm. This film just touched my heart specially the scene where Anne crosses the bridge and nobody is there to help her and she falls I was almost in tears :'( then

message 6: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen I found the first kiss scene to be very awkward! Not only did it take forever for their lips to meet, it happened right on the street in full public view, which I don't think would have happened. Just my opinion. *shrug*

Ericka Scott Nelson I've seen the one with Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root, I believe from 2000. I use it in one of my classes. I didn't know there was this other version, but now I'm going to check it out. Might be a good one for class! =)

Elizabeth I much prefer the version with Amanda Root and Ciarán Hinds. It is one of my favorite of the Jane Austen adaptations. Ciarán Hinds is the perfect Captain Wentworth.

Versha Hmm...i guess i should see the earlier version too

Goddess Of Blah The book was good enough for me. I generally don't like film adaptions (exception being BBC's P&P).

Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel.

message 11: by Elif (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elif I loved the movie, it was good like the other BBC adaptations. But I didn't like Anne there. İn the book Anne is altruistic and helpful but in the movie she's kind of shy, slight character. And she is supposed to be pretty, just not shining from happiness. I think they did her injustice in the movie.

message 12: by Kat (last edited Sep 16, 2012 08:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat I saw the Amanda Root one also and at first was skeptical, but the movie turned out to be very charming and endearing. It is one of my favorites. Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root relay so much emotion and say so much with their eyes and expressions. Love it!

Lesley Miller Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes. Persuasion is one of my favourite Austen books and the Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root version is restrained and beautiful.

message 14: by Troy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Troy What I like about the Root/Hinds version is the realism: Wentworth is always a tad scruffy; Anne's dress is wrinkled and dirty at the hem--was it dragging in the muddy lanes?

Without a doubt, this is one of the finest adaptations of one of Austen's novels to date. I haven't seen the version mentioned by the OP--I'll look for it.

message 15: by Jeni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeni Well, Sense & Sensibility is my favorite film adaptation followed by Emma and Mansfield Park. I suppose I need to see this version of Persuasion, too!

It's not my favorite story of hers, but I'm all for being converted!

message 16: by Troy (last edited Sep 18, 2012 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Troy Jeni wrote: "Well, Sense & Sensibility is my favorite film adaptation followed by Emma and Mansfield Park. I suppose I need to see this version of Persuasion, too!

It's not my favorite story of hers, but I'm ..."

As I loved Frances O'Connor's Fanny Price, I'd say Mansfield Park, S&S, then Emma.

message 17: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia I didn't like the earlier version, because it didn't realy translate Anne's inner thoughts well to the screen, whereas the Sally Hawkings version did a much better job at that (narration and letter/journal writing rather than blank stares the audience needs to figure out). I was a bit sad that they changed the lettter scene (all my favorite adaptations seem to change my favorite scenes in the books, can't have everything!), but everything else was perfect.

message 18: by Elif (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elif Mia wrote: "I didn't like the earlier version, because it didn't realy translate Anne's inner thoughts well to the screen, whereas the Sally Hawkings version did a much better job at that (narration and letter..."

Yes, I totally agree with you! It was a pity that they'd changed the letter scene, it is my favourite part of the book. And the part which the Captain rescued Anne from her naughty nephew, I wish the movie concluded it, his behaviour was so sweet there. :)) In other ways, the movie is successful.

message 19: by Irm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Irm Karen wrote: "I found the first kiss scene to be very awkward! Not only did it take forever for their lips to meet, it happened right on the street in full public view, which I don't think would have happened. "

The same as her run through the whole Bath is very unlikely. But after the first watch I've got used to this scenes and accepted them.

Elif wrote: "And the part which the Captain rescued Anne from her naughty nephew, I wish the movie concluded it, his behaviour was so sweet there. :)"
I think instead of this scene we've got Captain rescuing Anne afert her fall during the walk and I like this scene better. It's more significant.

Mitali I recently watched a bit of the movie with Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones, but I simply couldn't sit through it fully. It stuck to the book quite faithfully, but other than that I couldn't see anything positive in it. The acting was lacklustre, and the direction/cinematography was terrible: so many extreme close-ups! Were we supposed to be watching the actors or their pores?!

Nuša The book is so elegantly transformed into a movie, so you can truely disregard the details which were excluded from the adaptation.

message 22: by Olga (last edited Sep 27, 2012 12:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olga The 1995 adaptation is the best by far because it's much closer to the letter of the book. In addition, one can feel Anne's despair and sadness through the movie which I believe was a richer production. However, I find actors' and actresses' age more suitable for the story in 2007 adaptation. It's not that I don't like this 2007 one but we have to admit that the other is more accurate.

message 23: by Yue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yue I agree with Olga; the 1996 version is much better. The 2007 one may have the most handsome Captain, but IMO, there was no chemistry between he and Sally Hawkins. In fact, the times he glanced at her were with pure disgust, whereas when Ciaran did look at Amanda with more passion.

Also, the kiss in the 2007 version... hmmm no, no... and when Anne ran across all the town to find the Captain (when he just left like 1 minute ago... how far could he go?)

Brolie This was my least favorite Austen novel and my least favorite adaptation. Sally Hawkins did not appeal to me in the very least. I thought the novel lacked a back story that would have helped carry the plot a lot better, especially since this was her thinnest novel. Feels like a filler. Someone commented on the final kiss about how it took forever and was awkward and I thought so as well. I might not have liked Sally Hawkins though, because of her role in the new Jane Eyre. Kind of stuck with me :\

message 25: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Hamric Vash wrote: "Have you seen the movie based on this novel starring Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones??

Its beautiful..."
YES!! I loved it. I loved the entire adaptation.

Lilyan Grubach-hambrook Ciaran Hinds did it for me

Julian Griffith 1995, all the way. Amanda Root's inner thoughts were SO clear on her face, and Ciaran Hinds did a wonderful job of having Wentworth's emotions come out as stubbornness and harshness until the end. Especially when he was being a jealous ass during the concert scene. And can we talk for a minute about Samuel West? He was actually smooth and charming, which is how Jane Austen's cads should be (okay, maybe not Captain Tilney, but certainly Wickham and Willoughby) and they're too often cast with someone who's kind of skeevy from the start. I would have been very tempted to permit him to flatter and adore me for the rest of his life. Plus there was the brilliant available-light shooting, so you got to see just how dim a dinner by candlelight was, and even a brightly-lit (for the time) concert or card-party was still soft and hazy. It may be my favorite of all the Austen adaptations, even more than the 1995 Pride and Prejudice, and that's saying a LOT.

Lilyan Grubach-hambrook Julian wrote: "1995, all the way. Amanda Root's inner thoughts were SO clear on her face, and Ciaran Hinds did a wonderful job of having Wentworth's emotions come out as stubbornness and harshness until the end. ..."

I absolutely totally agree. The adaptation and the casting was timeless.

Denise Julian wrote: "1995, all the way. Amanda Root's inner thoughts were SO clear on her face, and Ciaran Hinds did a wonderful job of having Wentworth's emotions come out as stubbornness and harshness until the end. ..."

I agree the movie was wonderful. The emotions were coming out in all the right spots, even when no words were said. This is one of my all time favorite movies.

kellyjane I enjoyed the movie although Sally Hawkins' portrayal of Anne Elliot seemed a little off to me, a little too diffident and 'shrinking violet', or something like that. In reading the story I never got the sense that Anne was generally shy, nor that she was often at a loss for words, even though Anne was quite modest and unassuming by nature, and very discrete in choosing whether and what to say in conversation with others.

But I don't mean to overly criticize Sally Hawkins performance: Anne Elliot seems probably a challenging role to play, just because so much of her story must be conveyed non-verbally; and Sally Hawkins did seem to capture the quiet grace and dignity of Anne Elliot very well.

message 31: by B.T. (new) - rated it 5 stars

B.T. Clifford I had my introduction to Persuasion with the 1995 film, and Ciaran Hinds is Wentworth. All others come up short, literally and figuratively. The film is brilliant. Amanda Root captures the character perfectly. Even the performances of the supporting cast were strong, especially Sophie Thompson.

Joyce The first time I watched the Amanda Root version was the first adaptation of Persuasion I had seen. I didn't really care for it that much. But since then, each time I watch it, I appreciate it more. I've also seen another adaptation, I think it must have been the Sally Hawkins version, but I don't remember it very well, so that in itself must say something!

Nathalia I loved the 2007 adaption. I thought Wentworth and Anne missed a bit of chemistry, but Anne was exceptionally well played and Wentworth was very lovable. I cried when Anne cried and since I barely cry when I already know the story... Besides I think Anne was not shy, she was subdued and introverted, and that was portrayed very well.

message 34: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi yes and I LOVED IT . one of my fav of jane austen novels

message 35: by inga (new) - rated it 5 stars

inga I hate the 2007 version, but like the 1995 one. The 2007 version is downright laughable, and ridicules the book for me. I mean, Anne running through Bath for five minutes? That was redundant, let alone not appropriate for the time period and out of character for Anne, and the time spent on that could have been used better.
And the kiss? I mean, come one, it was so awkward how they took ages to kiss, it looked excruciating. Who does that? I also disliked some of the liberties they took with Harville. I do, however, like Tony Head as Sir Walter.

message 36: by Hunter (new) - added it

Hunter Everything Inga said goes for me, too!

Hunter

Chatita It's my favorite Austen adaption.

Lynsey Vash wrote: "Have you seen the movie based on this novel starring Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones??

Its beautiful..."

I have not, but Rupert Penry-Jones is HOT. I would watch it just to see him play Captain Wentworth (who, by the way, I find to be more of a likable male lead than Mr. Darcy...).

Rosemarie Love the Hinds/Root version. When their hands touched near the end---so much passion in that small gesture.

Joyce Persuasion is not among my favorite Jane Austen works, so I don't really notice the differences between the book and the movie adaptations. I wasn't enamored of the Hinds/Root version, mainly because Ciaran Hinds didn't do it for me (acting aside). However, I just finished watching the Rupert Penry-Jones version and I really liked it. I think because it is a little lighter and Penry-Jones is so hot. I agree with previous statements about the kiss being ridiculous.

Craig Lenaghan I'm thinking of seeing the 2007 version one day, as I like Sally Hawkins... *blushes*

Sandra Hutchison I couldn't stand the 2007 version, although the leads were well-cast. It seemed to make the whole story be about getting to keep your fine real estate. The running and the kiss were cringe-worthy. Henrietta was downright weird rather than just funny/awful. The Hinds/Root version is a little slow and dreary out of the gate, but remains much truer to the spirit of the novel.
I think Persuasion is a novel you can appreciate better as you get older. For younger people I can see where it might seem quite dreary.

message 43: by Noirfifre (last edited Nov 06, 2013 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noirfifre The 1971 series is the best film adaptation for Persuasion. It is also one of the best film adaptation for any of Jane Austen novels. I liked how the actors just filled out their roles so nicely. Anne did justice to her character!

1995: Hinds just did not suit me for Captain Wentworth (besides that he is not a bad act). Roots as Anne was just too emotional for me. The girl sharply inhales I felt it, Anne should be more than just emotional. PLus, the others were just too aware of her feelings. Now 2007, Anne and Captain W had potential but some of the scenes were just too awkward especially that first kiss.

Rebecca I really enjoyed Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Wentworth! Also, the re-imagining of Anne's character as really put-upon and timid (she certainly did seem easily persuadable!) was quite interesting; moreso, I thought, than the novel.

I thought the kiss was quite awkward though, and I found the scenes where Anne stares straight at the camera to quickly lose effect by repetition.

All in all, I felt it went a bit downhill towards the end, but to my mind so did the book...

Online Eccentric Librarian The editor of the movie should have been shot along with the director. The whole ending of her running ... endlessly. The random 'Shakes The Cameraman' scenes, the extreme close ups on Anne.... UGH.