Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

Heather McCorkle
This topic is about Heather McCorkle
Author Interview of the Month > Indie Author Interview with Heather McCorkle

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia  | 17307 comments Mod
Okay members this is our 4th Indie Author Interview for September and it's with the wonderful and talented Heather McCorkle, author of The Secret Of Spruce Knoll (Channeler, #1) by Heather McCorkle Channeler's Choice (Channeler, #2) by Heather McCorkle To Ride A Puca by Heather McCorkle Born Of Fire (A Channeler Story) by Heather McCorkle. This is our 22nd Author Interview and it is conducted by one of our moderators. Please read this interview and we hope you will be able to pick up lessons about her experience. If there are any questions you would like to ask Heather McCorkle please post any comments you wish. Thank you!!

1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 
When I was twelve, yep, really. I didn't like the way a book ended and I figured I would just have to write a better ending. It grew from there.  

2. How long does it take you to write a book? 
It takes me about four months to get a first draft done, but then of course there is a mountain of editing to do after that! 

3. What do you think makes a great story?
Great characters! Of course I also love rich description that puts me in the book, but in the end it all comes down to the characters.  

4. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
Unfortunately I still have a 'day' job that I have to do, so I write every free moment I get, on breaks, on the way to work (don't worry, I carpool!), in the morning, and at night.  

5. How do you balance family and writing?
I'm extremely lucky to have a wonderful, supportive husband who encourages me to write. I make sure I spend as much time with him though as I do writing.  

6. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
Everywhere! People inspire me, movies, songs, nature, animals, everything.  

7. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? 
That there are amazing people out there that care about books, authors, animals, and the environment just as much as I do.  

8. How many books have you written? Which is your favourite? 
I've written ten, currently. Oh no, you're going to make me pick?! LOL! Okay, if I have to, I'd say To Ride A Puca, my historical fantasy. That novel came from a deep part of my soul. 

9. Are your characters based on anyone you know?
They aren't actually. I know a lot of authors do that and I've always meant to try it, but characters come to me often fully formed with personalities all their own.  

10. Do you have a favourite place you love to write?
I don't, but I just bought a new home so I'm hoping to have one soon. :) 

11. How hard is is to get published?
Monumentally. In fact, it has never been harder. But my advice to writers is; don't let that discourage you. Keep improving your craft, attend workshops, retreats, use beta readers, critique partners, and don't give up. Remember, in the end, there are more options now than ever when it comes to publishing.  

12. What do your family and friends think about your books?
They are some of my biggest fans, and I love that. :) 

13. What do you like to do when you are not writing?
I'm an outdoorsy gal. I love hiking, kayaking, swimming, horseback riding, pretty much anything outdoors! And I'm a volunteer for the IS Foundation (Ian Somerhalder foundation, yep that Ian) so I also love to donate my time to great causes.  

14. Do you have any suggestions to help aspiring writers better themselves and their craft? If so, what are they? 
Read craft books, attend workshops, retreats, join a critique group, and find great beta readers.  

15. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? 
An author of course. That or an archaeologist.  

16. What are your favourite books and which authors inspire you?
There are so many! I love Karen Amanda Hooper (Grasping At Eternity and Tangled Tides), Saundra Mitchell (The Vespertine, Breathkept), Elana Johnson (Possession), Judith Graves (the Skinned Series), and Kitty Keswick (Freaksville). Just to name a few!

17. For an aspiring writer what do you feel are certain do's and don’ts for getting their material published?
Do edit your own work thoroughly, do use good critique partners and/or beta readers, and if it comes down to it, do use a great editor who understands your vision.  

18. What are you working on now?
I'm currently working on my first epic fantasy novel. Think E.E. Knight (Dragon Champion) meets Rachel Hartman (Saraphina). Oh, and the third and final novel in my channeler series, Rise of a Rector, is due out at the end of September! 

message 2: by Sylvia (new)

Thank you Heather for doing this interview for us and I love reading your book To Ride A Puca by Heather McCorkle and I can't wait to read the others :)

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine Fonseca (Christine_Fonseca) | 240 comments AHHHHH!!!! My Publishing mate and cover designer extra-ordinaire...HEATHER! Just stoping by to say HI!!! Love the interview

Brooke (The Cover Contessa) (TheCoverContessa) | 4591 comments Mod
Thanks for the interview Heather! You rock! I love your books. Can't wait to read The Secret of Spruce Knoll!

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Reece Hi,

Thanks for the great interview! I'll have to start wirh 'To Ride a Puca' since it was special to the author :)

message 6: by Sylvia (new)

Julie wrote: "Hi,

Thanks for the great interview! I'll have to start wirh 'To Ride a Puca' since it was special to the author :)"

You'll love it Julie...it really is a gem !!

Brooke (The Cover Contessa) (TheCoverContessa) | 4591 comments Mod
Julie wrote: "Hi,

Thanks for the great interview! I'll have to start wirh 'To Ride a Puca' since it was special to the author :)"

It's really a great book. So different!

message 8: by Nickle (new)

Nickle Love (nicklelove) | 22 comments Hi Heather! Welcome and great interview! :)

message 9: by Sylvia (new)

Brooke (The Cover Contessa) wrote: "Julie wrote: "Hi,

It's really a great book. So different!"

I agree, very different indeed :)

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather McCorkle (HeatherMcCorkle) Christine wrote: "AHHHHH!!!! My Publishing mate and cover designer extra-ordinaire...HEATHER! Just stoping by to say HI!!! Love the interview"

Hi Christine! Thanks for dropping by. :)

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather McCorkle (HeatherMcCorkle) Brooke (The Cover Contessa) wrote: "Thanks for the interview Heather! You rock! I love your books. Can't wait to read The Secret of Spruce Knoll!"

That's so sweet, thank you Brooke! The interview was a blast.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather McCorkle (HeatherMcCorkle) Julie wrote: "Hi,

That's so sweet, thank you Julie! I hope you enjoy it. :)

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather McCorkle (HeatherMcCorkle) Nickle wrote: "Hi Heather! Welcome and great interview! :)"

Thank you Nickle! :)

message 14: by Dre (new)

Dre (drewolf) Heinzypop wrote: "Okay members this is our 4th Indie Author Interview for September and it's with the wonderful and talented Heather McCorkle, author of The Secret Of Spruce Knoll (Channeler, #1) by Heather McCorkle[bookcover:Channeler's C..."

Hi Heather! It was a treat reading the interview :)
I am looking forward to reading your books.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 45 comments Hello Heather I read To Ride A Puca by Heather McCorkle and it instantly became my favorite book cant wait to read more from you. and great interview!!!

message 16: by Marni (new)

Marni (WonderWmn999) | 3771 comments Great interview!

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina (frogluv3r) | 301 comments Nice interview. I look forward to reading your work!