Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Front Parlor > Tudor fans?

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jla525) | 15 comments Curious if you all have an opinion about the accuracy of the Showtime series about Henry VIII? Other than the obvious fact that not everyone in Europe was quite so attractive.

I'm not much of a fan of that particular time period (I prefer the Plantangents, lol.)but I do enjoy the show.

message 2: by NayNay (new)

NayNay It's not very accurate at all, there are many, many, mistakes here is a link if you would like to know them

http://www.thetudorswiki.com/page/His...

But it was still a very entertaining series.

message 3: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) | 615 comments I also thought it was very entertaining. I have reached an age where I go with the flow. Less critical and trying to enjoy life more.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Purcell I agree - if it's entertaining and gets people interested in history it can take a few liberties :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 388 comments Fan of the Tudors, but not "The Tudors." (We don't get HBO.) LOL

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana | 51 comments I tried watching but was never really able to get too into it, to actually notice accuracy, not like I would have noticed anyway. I'm not too familiar with that time, although I would like to be.

message 7: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 778 comments Love gazing at Henry Cavill (Charles Brandon). Otherwise mostly too busy laughing at the historical howlers to hear the dialogue. :-)

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jla525) | 15 comments Thanks for the link and the info.

I admit a good deal of my enjoyment stems from watching Cavill as well. (I'd so been hoping to see him cast in Catching Fire but oh, well.)

message 9: by ceeeeg (new)

ceeeeg | 93 comments as a costume drama, it is fabulous...the production values were very high on it....

if you enjoy nighttime soap opera type shows, it ranks pretty high, especially if, like we here in this group, enjoy a historical context...

but accurate?...hardly....it has some glancing relationship with the known facts of the reign of Henry VIII, but i would not say it is well done as a historical record at all...pretty shabby on that score...

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary (Mary_Mac) I'm watching for the eye candy, yes, specifically Henry Cavill. :) It's hard to ignore the historical inaccuracies, but then again, I'm not an expert.

message 11: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 29 comments I really enjoyed watching it, especially Natalie Dormer who was fantastic as Anne Boleyn. I hated watching whenever they tortured someone and dragged it out though; all I can say is I'm glad I didn't live in that era.

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine Malec | 214 comments Lucinda wrote: "I really enjoyed watching it, especially Natalie Dormer who was fantastic as Anne Boleyn. I hated watching whenever they tortured someone and dragged it out though; all I can say is I'm glad I didn..."

No kidding: I'm shameless, I had my finger on the fast forward button when ever I could see torture scenes coming, and I'd skip right through them. I do wonder a lot about what makes one culture tolerate state use of torture on its citizens, and another culture reject it. Autocracy? life-expectentsy? The presence of mass media and mass literacy?

message 13: by Tytti (new)

Tytti Christine wrote: "I do wonder a lot about what makes one culture tolerate state use of torture on its citizens, and another culture reject it."

Are there different rules for citizens and non-citizen of the culture?

But this was about the series, not the era... I didn't bother to watch it. I thought it was so badly cast from the start, Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing Henry who was tall and athletic/fat, depending on how old he was. Totally the different type.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 388 comments Yeah, and he refused to get fat for the role. As compared to Keith Mitchell, who was a fantastic fat monster in the BBC production "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" back in the early 70s. (Production values are nowhere near that of The Tudors, but the acting is absolutely fantastic. Segues right into Elizabeth R, with Glenda Jackson as Elizabeth I, also wonderful.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine Malec | 214 comments Tytti wrote: "Christine wrote: "I do wonder a lot about what makes one culture tolerate state use of torture on its citizens, and another culture reject it."

Are there different rules for citizens and non-citiz..."

There sure are different rules for citizens and non-citizens. Scandals in Iraq regarding the U.S. military are a testament to that. At least it made a scandal.

message 16: by Tytti (new)

Tytti Christine wrote: "There sure are different rules for citizens and non-citizens. Scandals in Iraq regarding the U.S. military are a testament to that. At least it made a scandal. "

That's what I meant. For me it's more or less the same whether or not they are your own "citizens".

message 17: by D.K. (new)

D.K. Marley (theRealDKMarley) | 34 comments I think whether it is a novel or TV or film, all writers have an artistic license to use historical figures or events to create their piece of work. There is a lot about "The Tudors" on Showtime that is inaccurate, but the thread of history runs though it enough so as to make it enjoyable and might actually make someone not familiar with the history to look up some info.