Pottermore discussion

The Casual Vacancy (J.K. Rowling's new book)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryanna (new)

Bryanna (bryanna_) Who is excited for J.K. Rowling's new book? I gotta say, I definitely am. (For you guys who don't know, The Casual Vacancy is a new series outside of Harry Potter and mostly directed towards adults.) What do you think it is going to rate? I know for sure she is going to get HIT sales, but do you think it will be good? Give me your thoughts and we can talk about it. :)

message 2: by Minh (new)

Minh (cassandrale179) | 19 comments Yeah, I have known about the book long ago, and I was pretty excited. When I heard about the content, I didn't think it was interesting, but well, it's J.K.Rowling, so I want to give it a try. She was my favourite author, and I think she had the talent of turning the most boring topic into a very excellent story. I want to read it!

♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties (NotJustAnyOrdinaryGirl) | 17 comments I'm kinda queasy about J.K Rowling going from a kid's writer to an adult writer... it feels strange, but knowing her, it'll probably be good. *shrug*

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May I don't know if I want to read another book by J.K. Rowling, outside of Harry Potter - which was a brilliant series for people of all ages. I'm sure it will be an excellent book because she is an excellent writer, but I'm not sure I have the strength to move outside Harry Potter in regards to her writing.

message 5: by Bryanna (new)

Bryanna (bryanna_) Becca wrote: "I don't know if I want to read another book by J.K. Rowling, outside of Harry Potter - which was a brilliant series for people of all ages. I'm sure it will be an excellent book because she is an e..."

I hear ya! But I heard that The Casual Vacancy wasn't as good as people anticipated. They said it was a major flop in all. The storyline wasn't even interesting. I wonder where that leaves her. :?

message 6: by Viky (new)

Viky I wonder how many people read that book only because it was written by her and were disappointed. But I think that even if people were interested about its content they always think of her as the author of Harry Potter.

message 7: by Bryanna (new)

Bryanna (bryanna_) Viky wrote: "I wonder how many people read that book only because it was written by her and were disappointed. But I think that even if people were interested about its content they always think of her as the a..."

For sure. At first I was kinda surprised that she was going to write another book since she was already so rich off her HP franchise, but I was kinda shocked that she would move into the adult genre of things.

message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison (AllisonTrotter) | 1 comments I'm about half way through the novel. The First 50 pages were dreadfully painful but not I'm pretty into it. It is definitely strange though: reading the crude humor and shocking langauge and then remembering that this is the same author that brought us so much magic before.

message 9: by Aliya (new)

Aliya (aliyabaca) | 1 comments I finished it a couple days ago, it's good, really good (for me). But be sure you read it not only because you like Harry Potter because the story is very different, but is Jo Rowling's book! Haha yeah really a good story, and if you love Jo Rowling, likes her writing style, her way in making characterization, I think you will enjoy Casual Vancancy. For me its 4 of 5 stars :))

message 10: by Bryanna (last edited Oct 28, 2012 09:46PM) (new)

Bryanna (bryanna_) Aliya wrote: "I finished it a couple days ago, it's good, really good (for me). But be sure you read it not only because you like Harry Potter because the story is very different, but is Jo Rowling's book! Haha ..."

Allison wrote: "I'm about half way through the novel. The First 50 pages were dreadfully painful but not I'm pretty into it. It is definitely strange though: reading the crude humor and shocking langauge and then ..."

Wow! That sounds pretty good so far. I'm definitely going to read it, hopefully sometime in the future. I heard some mixed reviews about it but I'm going to give it a go. Do you guys think it's a good book after the HP one? Or for adults at least? :)