Books Without Borders discussion

Monthly Book Discussion > Embrace Me-week 2

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maranda (addlebrained_reader) (mannadonn) | 367 comments Mod
Hi Lady Day! I hope you don't mind me starting this thread! I tend to have thoughts about things as I'm reading them and need to share! I look forward to this week's questions but I had to say this because this occurred to me in Chapter 6! I think Valentine is Daisy. There. I said it. Who knows if I'm right or not. I don't. I haven't gotten far enough to know...but that's my theory. LOL! Anyone else see this???

message 2: by Lady Day (last edited Sep 15, 2012 08:30AM) (new)

Lady Day (LadyDay) | 228 comments I had the same thought Maranda. I knew it was Daisy once Charmaine began her dialogue with Valentine.
================================================
1. What does Charmaine Hopewell and Augustine add to the storyline?

2. How is Valentine encouraged to look beyond her physical scars?

3. How true is Lella’s remark, “There’s more to offer people than good skin and arms and legs? I mean, how many times do you make a friend based on their skin, or if they have arms and legs?” [pg. 77]

4. “We’re [sideshow] the place for folks who don’t have a chance in the real world.” Thought?

5. “My face is the greatest filter imaginable. I screen out the superficial, the easily sickened, and the self-proclaimed superior……” Can you relate to Valentine’s?

6. Have you ever experienced a personal Pentecost, like Father Brian described? Does talk of the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues seem like hocus pocus to you?

7. How/When have you felt the Love of God?

8. Why did Drew seem astonished when visiting the Hopewells’ home?

9. What does the concept of “seeing God in fresh new ways” mean?

10. Why do you suppose Charmaine never revealed what she knew about Valentine?

11. Can you imagine having a mother like Trician?

12. What do you think Monica’s sorry for? Do you think she left Drew’s father of her own accord?

Maranda (addlebrained_reader) (mannadonn) | 367 comments Mod
Lady Day ~ Yay!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that! The moment she started talking about the horrible Drew Parrish and that poor Daisy girl who disappeared I immediately thought that she was Daisy! I can't wait to finish this section and dive into the questions!

message 4: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (LadyDay) | 228 comments Maranda wrote: "Lady Day ~ Yay!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that! The moment she started talking about the horrible Drew Parrish and that poor Daisy girl who disappeared I immediately thought that s..."

Ditto! I can't wait to find out where Drew's mom has been doing all this time.

message 5: by Lady Day (last edited Sep 15, 2012 12:13PM) (new)

Lady Day (LadyDay) | 228 comments 1. Charmaine and Augustine bring a sense of balance to the storyline.

2. Charmaine and Augustine accepts Valentine and her friends...flaws/disfigurements and all. As a matter of fact they desire to involve them in community outreach efforts.

3. I thought Lella's remark was so profound. When one chooses a friend, the physical attributes are not given much consideration. People usually connect with others on more substantial levels i.e. trials we've faced, personal journeys, shared interests etc.

4. If only our world could be more accepting of those that fail to fit into the "box" of what is or isn't acceptable. I often challenge myself to avoid drawing conclusions about people, places or things based on what I see.

5. I can relate to Valentine's statement. As an adult, I believe our intuition serves as a similar filter in life. However, in Valentine's case, there's a judgement that's closely linked to the filter. For instance, if someone appears shocked by Valentine's disfigurement, she may misinterpret their response as them lacking a desire to befriend her.

6. I experienced a "personal Pentecost" as an adult. I can recall the moment that God became REAL to me.
Speaking in tongues, does not seem like hocus pocus to me at all. As a matter of fact several people in my church have that gift. I think once an individual gains and understanding of speaking in tongues, the hocus pocus factor is removed.

7. I feel the love of God most often during prayer, meditation,praise and worship. Like Daisy, I feel it as a warmth that gradually consumes me. There's nothing like being in the presence of God.

8. Drew's visit to the Hopewells' showed him how the believer could be transparent,shortcoming and mistakes, yet lead normal lives.

9. Seeing God in fresh new ways, in my opinion, challenges an individual:
~to see God without pre-conceived notions
~to get to know His true nature despite what you've "heard" of him
~to see Him as the glass half full instead of half empty
~to see God outside the box of "religion" to garner a personal relationship with Him
~to see Him in an "open" manner

10. Charmaine respected the friendship that was developing with Valentine. She always valued Daisy and wanted to gain her trust; which is something she hadn't valued in the past.

11. I can't imagine having a mother like Trician. As a mother, you do what you know to do when it comes to raising your children and insuring their well-being. Trician did NOT do any of these things. Some might say, they expected Trician to do exactly what she did based on family dynamics growing up. Hogwash! Trician did nothing short of pimping her daughter out as a means of trying to fulfill her own dreams of Power & Wealth. I'd have a tough time forgiving my mom, if she were Trician.

12. I think Monica's sorry for leaving Drew. I do believe it was Monica's idea to leave Drew's father. I think she was concerned for her safety and thought it to be the best decision at the time.

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie Beard (ConnieB5254) | 51 comments I really did read the chapters this week! I just haven't had time to sit and think about the questions to try to answer them well. At this rate, I may end up answering weeks 2 and 3 at the same time.

message 7: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (LadyDay) | 228 comments Connie wrote: "I really did read the chapters this week! I just haven't had time to sit and think about the questions to try to answer them well. At this rate, I may end up answering weeks 2 and 3 at the same time."

I totally understand. I'm reading ahead to insure that I process it all. I've completed the reading for week 3, and there are MANY developments so fast that I've got to read it all again (:

message 8: by Connie (new)

Connie Beard (ConnieB5254) | 51 comments Good to know! I may have to leave myself enough time to read it twice.

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie Beard (ConnieB5254) | 51 comments Btw, I'm so glad you chose this book! I'd never heard of it, but I'm really enjoying it. Thanks!

message 10: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (LadyDay) | 228 comments Connie wrote: "Btw, I'm so glad you chose this book! I'd never heard of it, but I'm really enjoying it. Thanks!"

Oh Connie, I'm glad to hear that. There's so much to choose from in the Christian Fiction genre and the style of writing is so varied from writer to writer. I began delving into this genre about a year ago and was flabberghasted to realize that I'd looked over the genre, thinking it'd not hold my attention. I also enjoy reading stories that are not the norm. What about you...do you have a favorite genre/author?

message 11: by Connie (new)

Connie Beard (ConnieB5254) | 51 comments I have phases. For a while, I was all about romance; another time, true crime. I love legal thrillers, especially John Grisham. I'm pretty new to
Christian fiction myself. My mom gave me a Christian romance novel during my romance phase and I was not enthused. I think it's come a long way since then. My tastes in books, like movies and music, is pretty eclectic. I just read what I'm in the mood for at the time.

message 12: by Lady Day (new)

Lady Day (LadyDay) | 228 comments Connie wrote: "I have phases. For a while, I was all about romance; another time, true crime. I love legal thrillers, especially John Grisham. I'm pretty new to
Christian fiction myself. My mom gave me a Christi..."

I understand about the phases. I too, go from genre to genre based on what I'm in the mood for.