Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > NaNoWriMo 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,255 (1255 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26

message 1: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 22636 comments Mod
It's almost November and that means it's almost time for NaNoWriMo! What are you going to write about? Are you struggling with a plot that doesn't make sense or have enough substance? Are you suffering from a lack of any sort of inspiration? Are you excited are you nervous?

If you don't know what NaNoWriMo is, check out nanowrimo.org.

message 2: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
Woop! I feel like I'm stealing the virginity of all these NaNo topics.

Anyways. I've got a couple of ideas, but I'm struggling to decide which one I have the most muse for. I keep changing the idea of my "main" story, which I've been trying to write for about five years, and I always have trouble wish. I end up overthinking the drafts and losing interest 20,000 to 50,000 words into the story.

So I'm thinking I might do the very, very rough draft for that novel this NaNoWriMo, so I actually force myself to write. I've kind of got a goal of getting between 70,000 and 90,000 words this year, if muse and time prevails.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be writing a memoir with a friend of mine, which deals with how we've helped one another deal with the biggest problems in our lives -- from her boyfriend's death in a plane crash to my guilt and bitterness over something I did five years ago.

Does anybody know the rules to collaboration for NaNo?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Taylor, I have no idea what the collaboration rules are. You can visit the website (http://nanowrimo.org)and look at FAQs.

As for me... I don't know. No. Yes. Both.

I want to do NaNo with a burning passion. Unless I manage to get a job soon, I won't have anything to do in November, and it would be amazing to have that much time on my hands and use it for developing my writing talents. But I haven't felt inspired enough to write anything other than stupid irrelevant snippets for over a year now, and while I usually begin planning during the summer, I don't have any plans at all and it's mid-September. *le sigh*

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

*is reminded of The Edgeworld Chronicles*

Is this going to be a steampunk?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read #10 because it took them something like 6 years to get out.

Good luck on the steampunk. I'd definitely like to read it when you're done with NaNo -- I know a lot about the genre, so I can lend you a hand in making it something steampunk lovers will enjoy.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

*is a steampunk fan who will gladly read it*

message 8: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
I'm gonna write a story about this kid with a million siblings and then he runs around in the woods with an albino girl and people try to kill them and yeah ... I promise it will make sense.

message 9: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Poema (Elizabeth) wrote: "Interesting. Does the kid really have a million siblings? Because that's a lot of kids in one family."

Yes.

... Just kidding, it's like seven or something. I haven't decided on an exact number.

message 10: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments I'm going to write a story about bad action faeries trying to take evil down. And the two main characters won't fall in love, but will be best friends by the end of the story, because the MFC is already in love.

Yeah.

That's an extremelyyyyy short explanation for an extremelyyyyyy intricate story.

message 11: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Jayda wrote: "I'm going to write a story about bad action faeries trying to take evil down. And the two main characters won't fall in love, but will be best friends by the end of the story, because the MFC is al..."

Awesome! I've always wanted to write a story where the two main characters don't fall in love, but ... IT'S JUST SO HARD.

message 12: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Poema (Elizabeth) wrote: "Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Poema (Elizabeth) wrote: "Interesting. Does the kid really have a million siblings? Because that's a lot of kids in one family."

Yes.

... Just kidding, it's li..."

Hahaha! That's true. Although listing seven names still gives me some word boosts, I guess. ... And way more characters to develop. Blarggghhsss.

message 13: by Elliott (last edited Sep 13, 2012 02:37PM) (new)

My story this year is going to be hard to write but I want to try something besides realistic fiction.

It's about a girl who is part of a complicated network of people that are trying to take down the government. She gets arrested and then people working for the government torture her to try and get information. Her brain eventually blocks out the torture and she slips into a subconscious world where she is living a normal teenage life. She has nightmares of being tortured, which are actually the times when she is awake. There's a ridiculously smart science-y guy who works for the government and is given the job of trying to wake her up. He has a troubled past and doesn't have anyone to talk to, so he ends up talking to the girl while she is unconscious. He becomes a person in her mental world and she falls in love with him. And then... she wakes up.

And yeah. I'm not sure how it's going to work but I'm excited.

message 14: by Elliott (new)

Yeah, the reader is going to know, at least vaguely because part of it is going to be in the POV of the guy.

DO NANOWRIMO. DO IIIIIT.

message 15: by Kriss (new)

Jayda wrote: "I'm going to write a story about bad action faeries trying to take evil down. And the two main characters won't fall in love, but will be best friends by the end of the story, because the MFC is al..."

I'm so excited for yours!

message 16: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Lav [I'm still not sure what I stand for] wrote: "My story this year is going to be hard to write but I want to try something besides realistic fiction.

It's about a girl who is part of a complicated network of people that are trying to take dow..."

Whoaaaaa.

Sounds awesome.

message 17: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Kriss wrote: "Jayda wrote: "I'm going to write a story about bad action faeries trying to take evil down. And the two main characters won't fall in love, but will be best friends by the end of the story, because..."

AWWWW. I'm so glad! :D I'll be posting on here on GR so you guys can read it! :) I'm excited to write it, even if plotting is being kinda difficult right now :P

Which idea do you think you're gonna go with? :)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Jayda wrote: "I'm going to write a story about bad action faeries trying to take evil down. And the two main characters won't fall in love, but will be best friends by the end of the story, because..."

I totallyyyy understand! I may struggle with this, but I've made it that when faeries find their "soulmates" they never have feelings for anyone else, and Ember (my MFC) already found hers. And his name is Ash, so their names kinda go together ;) Omgosh, I'm so excited to write about their love!!!

ANYWAY. Yeah haha :)

I keep coming up with scenes and stuff for this book. And I think it could turn into a trilogy if I wanted it to. But IDK if I have that kind of patience at this point. Maybe... but I'd have to do a loooooot more plotting and side plots and stuff to make that happen. If not, though, it's gonna be a long book I think

message 18: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Lav [I'm still not sure what I stand for] wrote: "My story this year is going to be hard to write but I want to try something besides realistic fiction.

It's about a girl who is part of a complicated network of people that are trying to take dow..."

:O MIND = BLOWN. That sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!

message 19: by Jayda (last edited Sep 13, 2012 04:50PM) (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Guys. I'm seriously so excited for NaNo right now.

Do we know when they're relaunching the site?

message 20: by Kriss (new)

Lav [I'm still not sure what I stand for] wrote: "My story this year is going to be hard to write but I want to try something besides realistic fiction.

That sounds unbelievably complicated and amazing, Lav. I WILL STALK THIS STORY IF YOU POST IT.

message 21: by Kriss (new)

Jayda wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Jayda wrote: "I'm going to write a story about bad action faeries trying to take evil down. And the two main characters won't fall in love, but will be best friends by the end of the ..."

AWESOMEEE. I will definitely read it when I'm not writing 8D <3

And I think I'm planning to work on a story I keep struggling with, Saints of Our City, which is a futuristic negative-utopia. Basically, its a "perfect city". People have very few choices and very little freedom. The main plot of the story focuses around three completely different boys: Matthias Junger, who is an "immigrant" from the closest nearby city, which hasn't ever happened before, but he comes to this City telling the people there about a civil war and revolt and all that good stuff. Then there's the Saint, who is a vigilante killer that is trying to liberate people, when some of them don't want to be liberated. And then there's Kierlan, who is the son of a major politician and is being raised to follow in his footsteps.

But yeah. A lot of it is about Kierlan trying to figure out who the Saint is, and revolutions, and yada yada.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah! I remember when you got some of that idea! It was in the Creepypasta topic, right?

message 23: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments I JUST BOUGHT SCRIVENER :D

I think that plotting will be a lot more organized nowwww.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

message 24: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Jayda wrote: "Guys. I'm seriously so excited for NaNo right now.

Do we know when they're relaunching the site?"

I think they usually do it on October 1st (MY BIRFFDAY!) but I could be wrong.

message 25: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Jayda wrote: "I JUST BOUGHT SCRIVENER :D

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

OOOOOH.

I need to buy it. But I might wait until I found out if I got a job first ... meep.

message 26: by Elliott (new)

Jayda wrote: "Lav [I'm still not sure what I stand for] wrote: "My story this year is going to be hard to write but I want to try something besides realistic fiction.

It's about a girl who is part of a complic..."

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Lav [I'm still not sure what I stand for] wrote: "My story this year is going to be hard to write but I want to try something besides realistic fiction.

Aah, thank you. I doubt I'm going to be able to pull it off but the idea was too intriguing to pass up. xD

Kriss wrote: "Lav [I'm still not sure what I stand for] wrote: "My story this year is going to be hard to write but I want to try something besides realistic fiction...

I shall post it when I am done! :D

Maxy wrote: "Lav [I'm still not sure what I stand for] wrote: "My story this year is going to be hard to write but I want to try something besides realistic fiction.

Yes ma'am! I decided I'm finally going to write it. Goodness, I am so grateful to Josh for accidentally helping me get this idea. xD

message 27: by Elliott (new)

Kriss wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Jayda wrote: "I'm going to write a story about bad action faeries trying to take evil down. And the two main characters won't fall in love, but will be best friends by t..."

Ah, this sounds interesting. Have you posted chapters of this before? I think I might've read some of it, but I might be thinking about something else.

message 28: by Elliott (new)

Jayda wrote: "I JUST BOUGHT SCRIVENER :D

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

LUCKY DUCK.

message 29: by Kriss (new)

Lav [I'm still not sure what I stand for] wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Jayda wrote: "I'm going to write a story about bad action faeries trying to take evil down. And the two main characters won't fall in love, but will be bes..."

Yeah. I've posted chapters of it like a thousand times. BUT I KEEP CHANGING MY IDEAS AND STUFF. I faillll.

message 30: by Kriss (new)

Lav [I'm still not sure what I stand for] wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Lav [I'm still not sure what I stand for] wrote: "My story this year is going to be hard to write but I want to try something besides realistic fiction.

It's about a girl who is par..."

Good. I shall read it.

message 31: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments GUYS. If you won NaNo last year you get Scrivener for $20 instead of $40. Which is the only reason I bought it :P But the coupon expires October 1st (I think?)

Soooo basically I recommend getting it asap, if you can :) I've used it before and it's AH-MAZING. It makes organizing my stories so much easier.

message 32: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Guys. I'm seriously so excited for NaNo right now.

Do we know when they're relaunching the site?"

I think they usually do it on October 1st (MY BIRFFDAY!) but I could be wrong."

YESSSSSS. I hope sooo! :) And happy early birthday! Though I'll most likely tell you the day of, too :)

message 33: by Elliott (new)

Jayda wrote: "GUYS. If you won NaNo last year you get Scrivener for $20 instead of $40. Which is the only reason I bought it :P But the coupon expires October 1st (I think?)

Soooo basically I recommend getting ..."

I think I might get it. I had a trial version of it once upon a time and I really liked it. And even if I don't end up using it as much as I should, $20 isn't bad at all.

message 34: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Jayda wrote: "GUYS. If you won NaNo last year you get Scrivener for $20 instead of $40. Which is the only reason I bought it :P But the coupon expires October 1st (I think?)

Soooo basically I recommend getting ..."

Aw yeah! That's why I wanted to buy it. Pretty awesome deal.

message 35: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Plotting problem:

Should I give my characters last names? I just don't know how to give faeries last names... If so, how should I do it? Within human last names, or making them up?

message 36: by Elliott (new)

I think it would be pretty awesome if you made up the last names.

message 37: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments See, I think it'd be awesome too... but I always feel like my made up names are awful, and I run out of them really fast :/ GAHHH. So complicated :( I don't know what to doooo

message 38: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

I always like to give characters last names even if I don't ever refer to them in the story. Because, I guess you never know when a character's full name will come up somehow. :P Making up names is hard though, I agree. But there are a lot of fantasy name generators on the Internet. ;)

message 39: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Or just use more unusual/ancient names ... like, I dunno, stuff in Greek or Latin or whatever. :P

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Jayda, if there is one thing I feel confident with in writing, it is names. If you need help coming up with names, PM me character info and I can help walk you through my process for selecting names for characters.

message 41: by Kriss (new)

Jayda wrote: "See, I think it'd be awesome too... but I always feel like my made up names are awful, and I run out of them really fast :/ GAHHH. So complicated :( I don't know what to doooo"

There's a lot of Gaelic names that seem very "fantasy-ish". Every time I ever see one I just can't help but think of faeries.

Examples: Gaothaire, Siaibhin, Siolat, Ruailidh, Aodh

message 42: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Ah yes, Gaelic is the best. Says the girl with a Gaelic name.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Gaelic, however, does not follow many of the rules for English phonetics. So you would have tons of readers pronouncing the words incorrectly.

message 44: by Kriss (new)

Taylor Mefford wrote: "Gaelic, however, does not follow many of the rules for English phonetics. So you would have tons of readers pronouncing the words incorrectly."

I'm pretty sure that goes with a lot of literature. I mispronounce names all the time XD

message 45: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Taylor Mefford wrote: "Gaelic, however, does not follow many of the rules for English phonetics. So you would have tons of readers pronouncing the words incorrectly."

Pronunciation guide! Problem solved.

message 46: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Hahaha I love you guys :) I don't know what I'd do with you all!

I'm definitely going to be thinking a lot about whether or not to actually give them last names, but if I decide to I will definitely be taking all of your advice :)

message 47: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Yay! :D

I finally bought Scrivener today ... since I found out I actually got a job. (YAAY MONEY.) I've been outlining like crazy. And by "outlining" I mean finding pictures to use as references for all my characters. Aw yeah.

message 48: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 20 comments Has anyone started planning out there nanowrimo plot and all?

message 49: by Elliott (new)

Yue [Wonder of living] wrote: "I have a (sort of) plot for Nano!

After years of war and recession, things begin to look up in America. Everyone is hopeful, except for a group of people, known as the Conspirators. They don't th..."

AWESOME. THIS SOUNDS EXCITING.

message 50: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Rishika wrote: "Has anyone started planning out there nanowrimo plot and all?"

I started like a month or two ago. It isn't going so well, but that's exactly why I started so early :P

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 25 26
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.