City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5) City of Lost Souls discussion

Every time I hear this song, I automatically think CITY OF LOST SOULS! (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been wanting to share this amazing connection that I meant for a while now, but very very sadly, since none of my friends have read TMI, I couldn't do that, until GoodReads came to my rescue and became my savior (lol :P).

Anyways, I'll get to the point:

Every time I head the song Dark Side, by Kelly Clarkson, I think of CoLS! I mean, they're like the perfect words to describe Jace and Clary's relationship! Because, I mean, it's got that perfect dark and dreary sound to it.
And when it says,

“If I show it [my dark side] to you now,
Will it make you run away,
Or will you stay,
Even if it hurts.
Even if I try to push you out will you return?
And remind me who I really am,
Please remind me who I really am...”

And so you know how when Clary follows Jace into the other dimension and they're in Valentine's house, well Jace has a dark side to him; it's the side that's strongest because he's under Sebastian's control. So Jace's dark side is basically Sebastian. So Jace is telling Clary, "I want to take you to the house I'm sharing with Sebastian (the "dark side")" and he's asking her if *showing her his dark side will make her stay, even if it hurts (even though she hates Sebastian), will she stay? And she in turn is trying *remind him who he really is* by speaking to him and reminding him that he loves her and because love can overpower anything, she’s trying to make him feel an overwhelming sense of love that can help him break free of Lillith’s hold (even if it’s momentary, like at the end of City of Fallen Angels before she cuts the mark off of him)
And then the song says,

“Everybody's got a dark side,
Do you love me,
Can you love mine?”

So, Jace (the possessed one) is asking her if she can learn to love Sebastian (his dark side, even though he doesn’t know that) by telling her that Sebastian’s really not as bad as she thinks he is.
And then the song says,

“Like a diamond, from black dust,
It's hard to know what can become
If you give up.
So don't give up on me
Please remind me who I really am.”

So it's as though the “real Jace” inside the “possesed Jace” is trying to tell Clary not to abandon him and trying to ask her not to give up trying to *remind him who he really is* and help his love outdo the power of the rune.

So what do you guys thing? Isn’t the connection between Dark Side and City of Lost Souls remarkable? I mean, if I didn’t know better, I would have thought that Kelly Clarkson wrote the song with Clary and Jace in mind!

Gabby Hmmm, an excellent connection to the song. I don't get many of these ideas. I should.

Clara Whoa... That is awesome!!

Antonia i don't know why but every time i hear summer paradise by simple plan i think of city of bones

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

You should explain it! I've never heard that song before.

Christina so cool i didnt think of that

Roselinta OMG! I love this song and I never thought of it like that. Now every time I hear this song I'll think of CoLS.

message 8: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana Wow i never realised it with this song before! but I do always like it when the lyrics of a song can be related to something that happens in a book like Whenever I hear Bloodstream by Stateless I think of the attic scene with Will and Tessa:)

message 9: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah That is completely true! I never thought of it before o-o Now I will always think of CoLS when that song comes on.

Valencia Cain Yah thats good.

Inês yes that true XDDDD

Beatrice That's cool! That's REALLY cool! :D

Hannah thats so true. that song relates so well!

Roselinta Also, there was this song on TMI Source I saw that suited the song really well:

it's called 'Devil's Tears'

He said “I am the devil, boy, come with me
And we’ll make many storms”
He offered me the universe
But inside my heart there’s a picture of a girl

Some call love a curse, some call love a thief
But she’s my home
And she’s as much apart for this broken heart, but see
Broken bones always seem to mend

I’ll taste the devil’s tears
Drink from his soul, but I’ll never give up you

He said “I am the devil, boy,
Come with me and we’ll break many laws”
He offered me eternal life but inside my heart there’s a picture of a girl

Some call love a curse, some call love a thief
But she’s my home and she
And she’s as much apart for this broken heart, but see
Broken bones always seem to mend

Gabby Awww, that's really cute. (In a weird way...)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

That's really cool!

GinAndCats I totally agree with you. A wont that makes me think of the mortal instruments is 'I will not how's by Breaking Benjamin

GinAndCats **song

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Er...was that supposed to be "I will not **bow**? lol :P

message 20: by Nur (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nur love it <3