Beyond Reality discussion

123 views
General - Group Business > Nominations for December 2012!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (last edited Sep 17, 2012 02:36PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Hi everyone,

It’s time to open nominations for our December 2012 Books of the Month. Each group member can make 1 science fiction and/or 1 fantasy nomination in this thread. If you would like to make a nomination, please reply to this post with the title and author of the book(s) you would like to put forward for the group’s consideration.

Telling us a little about the book and why you think it would be a good group read can help get other members interested in reading (and voting for) your nomination. You can also check the group bookshelves for previous Books of the Month to see if your nomination has already been read by the group. (Being chosen as a past BotM does not necessarily disqualify a book from current consideration, but be aware that it may hinder your nomination’s chances at the polls.)

General guidelines:
• Feel free to re-nominate a book that didn’t win in the polls in previous months!
• For questions regarding specifics such as book formats, books in series, etc., please see the group FAQ.
• Seconding isn't necessary in this group.
• Friendly discussion & debate is strongly encouraged, but let's please keep things civil.

Poll schedule:
• Nominations will remain open through Monday, September 17.
• The first round of polls will open Tuesday, September 18, and will run through 11:59PM PST, Sunday, September 23 (closing Midnight PST September 24.)
• The run-off polls go up Monday, September 24, and will be open through 11:59PM PST Saturday, September 29 (closing Midnight PST September 30.)

Thanks!


NOMINATIONS SO FAR:

FANTASY:
Hogfather by Terry Pratchett (Nikita)
Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti by Genevieve Valentine (Shel)
Dreams Underfoot by Charles de Lint (Maggie)
The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kevin)
Legend by David Gemmell (Pickle)
The Etched City by K.J. Bishop (Paul)
The Silent Gondoliers by William Goldman (Richard)


SCIENCE FICTION:
Lord Valentine's Castle: Book One of the Majipoor Cycle by Robert Silverberg (Kevin)
The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds (Jim)
Invader by C.J. Cherryh (Shel)
Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky & Boris Strugatsky (Maggie)
The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl & C.M. Kornbluth (Pickle)
Pasquale's Angel by Paul J. McAuley (Paul)
Permutation City by Greg Egan (Richard)


message 2: by Kevin (last edited Sep 14, 2012 07:59AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I would like to nominate Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg for science fiction because just got reprinted, plus its both fantasy and science fiction mixed together.


message 3: by Nikita (new)

Nikita (nikita42) Since it's December, I figured I would go with a holiday theme. But I could only really think of a good fantasy nomination. So, for fantasy, I'm nominating Hogfather by Terry Pratchett. If I think of something in scifi, I'll add it later.


message 4: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Kevin wrote: "I would like to nominateLord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg for science fiction because just got reprinted, plus its both fantasy and science fiction mixed together."

This looks interesting! I was stuck on whether to call it science fiction or fantasy, and while more people on Goodreads have shelved it as Fantasy, I disagree. Everything suggests to me that it's science fiction with fantastical elements, as technology is behind everything. The fact that some people think it's magic doesn't change that. So I agree with you that it's more of a sf nom. :)


message 5: by Kevin (last edited Sep 14, 2012 07:58AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Candiss wrote: "Kevin wrote: "I would like to nominateLord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg for science fiction because just got reprinted, plus its both fantasy and science fiction mixed together."

This l..."


I think just for the fact for a book set on a another planet makes it science fiction.


message 6: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2174 comments Mod
Nikita wrote: "Since it's December, I figured I would go with a holiday theme. But I could only really think of a good fantasy nomination. So, for fantasy, I'm nominating Hogfather by Terry Pratchett. If I thi..."

I *love* Hogfather :)

Can't think of any particular recommendations right now, but if I think of something else I'll come back and nominate!


message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Kevin wrote: "I think just for the fact for a book set on a another planet makes it science fiction. "

Not necessarily, Friedman's Coldfire series is Fantasy but it takes place on another planet. Anyway this is a conversation for elsewhere


message 8: by Jim (last edited Sep 14, 2012 07:08PM) (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments I'd like to submit a nomination for Science fiction: The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds. Ostensibly it's the fifth in the Revelation Space series, but in reality is a prequel to the whole set (You can see the author's own thoughts about reading order here: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...). The novel provides a great story describing how things got so messed up in the Glitter Band. The characters are engaging and the suspense is palpable. Just my not so humble opinion. :)


message 9: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2174 comments Mod
I'd still call Coldfire SF, because of some revelations later in the trilogy, but that's neither here nor there :)

Came up with some nominations:
Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti by Genevieve Valentine for fantasy (I'm told it's sort of like HBO's Carnivale in book form - anyone else watch that show? I was bummed when it was cancelled after only 2 seasons!).

Invader by Cherryh for SF, since we all enjoyed Foreigner so much when we read it a while back!


message 10: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I miss Carnivale!

I have been wanting to read Roadside Picnic for sci-fi and Dreams Underfoot for fantasy


message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments For fantasy, I would like to nominate The Black Prism again, since last time it only lost by one vote because the group seems to have a liking for Roger Zelazny.


message 12: by Pickle (last edited Sep 16, 2012 05:20AM) (new)

Pickle | 202 comments sci-fi: The Space Merchants


fantasy: Legend


message 13: by Tim (last edited Sep 16, 2012 04:52AM) (new)

Tim | 19 comments A Cosmic Christmas
A Cosmic Christmas by Hank Davis edited by Hank Davis

This could fall under sci fi and fantasy since its a collection of short stories by authors such Mercedes Lackey and George O. Smith and others. It won't be released until nov 10th on amazon, but it would definitely fall into the holiday theme. Another bonus is people with little free time due to the holidays could read one or two of the short stories and still participate in the discussion.


message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 218 comments Hi everybody

for fantasy, let's go for (wait for it) The Etched City, a dark techno-fantasy that should appeal to fans of Stephen King's Dark Tower, China Mieville, and anyone who likes a good story.

In SF, how about some alternative history? Paul McAuley is one of the most under-rated writers around. Pasquale's Angel is a 1994 steampunk novel set in 16th century Florence, where Leonardo da Vinci has begun the industrial revolution.


message 15: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Tim wrote: "A Cosmic Christmas
A Cosmic Christmas by Ken Sobol edited by Hank Davis

This could fall under sci fi and fantasy since its a collection of short stories by authors such Mercedes Lackey and George O..."


Tim, while I agree that this would be perfectly-themed for winter holidays, we have a long-standing guideline and precedent that a book must be currently-available when it is nominated. Even though it will be released by the time it would be read (assuming it won in the polls,) due to quirks of publication there is no guarantee that it will be available everywhere, and we have members from all over the globe. Furthermore, things are known to happen that delay publication past the expected date.

Long explanation short - Unfortunately, this book won't work for our purposes this time. Perhaps next year?

Do you have another book you'd like to nominate?


message 16: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments All nominations that qualify up to this point have been added to the list. If your nomination didn't qualify and you have another suggestion, or if anyone else has a nomination, please let us know ASAP. This is the final day to make suggestions!


message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 136 comments Not nominated for a while, so I'll chuck a couple in to try to bend you all to my will and reduce my TBR list.

For Fantasy The Silent Gondoliers by William Goldman, he of Princess Bride fame, surely that's enough to make everyone want to read it straight away.

For SF Permutation City by Greg Egan. This is recommended in one of those little must read books that I've found to be rather good at picking next reads for me. Written by a Hugo winning Aussie to boot, sure fire winner!


message 18: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Richard wrote: "Not nominated for a while, so I'll chuck a couple in to try to bend you all to my will and reduce my TBR list.

For Fantasy The Silent Gondoliers by William Goldman, he of Princess Bride fame, sure..."


Richard - Permutation City shows as #2 in a series. Are these standalone works in the same universe? If they are in fact sequential, do you want to nominate #1 in the series? Since the group hasn't read book 1, this one will only qualify if it's a shared world in which one doesn't need to read the books in order. Let me know. :)


message 19: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 136 comments Candiss wrote: "Richard wrote: "Not nominated for a while, so I'll chuck a couple in to try to bend you all to my will and reduce my TBR list.

For Fantasy The Silent Gondoliers by William Goldman, he of Princess ..."


I don't think Permutation City is part of a series. My copy makes no reference to a series, and my 'Good Reading Guide' also makes no allusion to any series.
I think the 'cycle' may refer to the subject matter of virtual reality and the idea of 'subjective cosmology' which might tie the mentioned three books loosely together.
Not having read any of these books (or in fact anything else by Mr Egan) I will of course bow to the superior knowledge of those familiar with them.


message 20: by Candiss (last edited Sep 17, 2012 02:36PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Richard, I've done a bunch of research on the books this afternoon, and only on Goodreads do I even find these books listed as part of a series. Elsewhere they are treated as standalone works or shared universe novels. The characters are different, and the timeframe of each novel goes back and forth over several overlapping decades. Hence, it appears that these are similar to Banks's Culture novels - a series for their shared universe but not specifically sequential.

I'll add this one to the nomination list. :)


message 21: by Candiss (last edited Sep 18, 2012 05:16PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Nominations are closed, and the first round of polls are going up now.

Go vote!

SF: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/71...

Fantasy: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/71...


message 22: by Candiss (last edited Sep 24, 2012 12:41PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments The run-off polls are up and will be open through 11:59pm PST Saturday, September 29. Get your votes in now!

Fantasy: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/71...

Science Fiction: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/71...


message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Hopefully, both of my nominations will win.


message 24: by Helen (new)

Helen Got to love an optimist.


back to top