NYRB Classics discussion

Choosing the Book (Book Club) > Choosing a book for September/October 2012

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

New York Review Books | 212 comments Mod
Okay here's where we can discuss which book we may want to read in September/October (since Sept is already half over).

message 3: by Sasha (new)

Sasha Martinez (sashamartinez) | 8 comments Hello, I'd just bough Dead Souls, and am a little daunted that I'd even read it at all, haha. A little nudge via this group and, well, solidarity, might go a long way.

message 4: by Declan (new)

Declan | 89 comments Growing Up Absurd: Problems of Youth in the Organized Society looks like an interesting read for these times of absurdly restricted political options (always presented as 'choice'). It might be good to think about, and discuss, some real alternatives.

Having said that, as usual, I would be happy to read any of the books mentioned so far.

message 5: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 70 comments I've been reading The Old Devils (not NYRB classics edition) and i'm really enjoying it. it takes a bit of concentration for me (for some reason) but once i'm focused, i love it. But if it's not chosen, i'll try to squeeze in the book that is chosen. i seem to be starting books left and right these days (again.)

message 6: by Seana (new)

Seana | 332 comments I'm game for anything, but shorter vs. longer would be better for me this round.

message 7: by Mikki (new)

Mikki | 123 comments It might be fun to read something with a Scary or Gothic theme like we did last year with Don't Look Now: Selected Stories of Daphne Du Maurier, but I am always open and happy to read whatever we decide.

I plan on buying Tyrant Banderas (simply for the cover alone!) as well as Dead Souls and I seem to remember the book That Awful Mess On The Via Merulana coming up on a poll last year.

Declan, I recently watched a great documentary about Paul Goodman and his book on Netflix that might interest you. http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/702...

message 8: by Declan (new)

Declan | 89 comments Thanks for the link Mikki but I'm afraid that while Netflix is available in Ireland the selection of films available is an insult. I suspect I would be able to find several John Goodman films, but not one concerning Paul Goodman. I did find a couple of clips on YouTube where he seems terrifically daft and provocative.

I agree that the cover on Tyrant Banderas makes it an essential purchase and, to judge by the blurb, an interesting read too.

message 9: by Mikki (new)

Mikki | 123 comments Declan, the documentary is available on youtube in 14 parts. Here is the first and then you'll be able to go from there. Maybe not as relevant to our current times, but it's still worth a watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHB6CC...

message 10: by Declan (new)

Declan | 89 comments Unfortunately Mikki, that turns out to be a trailer with a link to a streaming service. Anyhow, from what I've seen my enthusiasm has waned somewhat and as you say it doesn't seem very relevant now. His ideas about literacy in particular are simply ridiculous. I think Ill Fares the Land is the book I would propose as a guide for how we need to change our society and system of government. If only......

message 11: by Seana (new)

Seana | 332 comments On the scary or Gothic theme that Mikki brought up, I thought John Collier's collection Fancies and Goodnights looked promising.

message 12: by Mikki (last edited Sep 17, 2012 02:52PM) (new)

Mikki | 123 comments Declan wrote: "Unfortunately Mikki, that turns out to be a trailer with a link to a streaming service. Anyhow, from what I've seen my enthusiasm has waned somewhat and as you say it doesn't seem very relevant now..."

Oh, sorry about that, Declan. I read part 1 of 14 and assumed that the full documentary was able to be viewed. From what I remember, his views on literarcy and the youth culture were dated and somewhat misogynistic in thinking. He seemed to also be more concerned with creating a provocative stance -- spouting the most outlandish theories-- whenever interviewed which turned me off quickly. Though the book you've linked looks to be interesting.

Also, I don't seem to be receiving notifications for this thread. Anyone else having that problem?

message 13: by Mikki (new)

Mikki | 123 comments Seana wrote: "On the scary or Gothic theme that Mikki brought up, I thought John Collier's collection Fancies and Goodnights looked promising."

Seana, that looks great!

Okay. I'm making a poll of any book that got mentioned twice in this discussion.

Nick

message 15: by Guy (new)

Guy | 138 comments I read Dead Souls not too long ago, and I agree with the commenter above, it's one of the funniest books I've read. Didn't expect that.
My vote goes for Lucky Jim. This would be a reread.

message 16: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 120 comments I could definitely do a reread of Lucky Jim, and I would follow along with a discussion of Cassandra at the Wedding too.

If you could post in this thread when the poll goes up that would be great because I rarely ever check my email.

Yes, sorry. The poll is up.

Nick

I'm going to leave the poll up through the weekend just in case, but so far it looks like Dead Souls is the winner. Our editor thinks the Rayfield translation is superior to the others, but I don't think it matters too much which one is read for this group's purposes.

Get ready to tackle a real Russian classic, but a very funny one I gather.

Nick

message 19: by Seana (new)

Seana | 332 comments I'm happy enough to finally read Dead Souls, but as Lucky Jim looks to be such a close second--I mean if I changed my vote right now, they'd be tied--that maybe we should just pick it as the one to follow the next month. Any thoughts?

message 20: by Mikki (last edited Sep 29, 2012 06:34PM) (new)

Mikki | 123 comments Seana wrote: "I'm happy enough to finally read Dead Souls, but as Lucky Jim looks to be such a close second--I mean if I changed my vote right now, they'd be tied--that maybe we should just pick it as the one to follow the next month."

I like that idea, Seanna, and it worked well when we did it before. It gives people plenty of time to get the books into their possession.

message 21: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 70 comments Lucky Jim is really fun.

But i'm also totally game for Dead Souls. :)

Works for me. I want to read both books. Both funny, but different. Anyone object to this?

Nick

p.s.
I'll start a new discussion chain for Dead Souls. Can't wait.

message 23: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 11 comments I like this idea. Haven't read either book before.

message 24: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 70 comments I read Lucky Jim last year and really enjoyed it. i'll join the discussion. I'm pretty excited about Dead Souls. somehow i have never had read Gogol even though i have a lot of Gogol in my house!