75 Books discussion

Archive (2009 Completed!) > mggoertzen's 2009 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelegg (last edited Feb 04, 2009 11:40AM) (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #1 Blood Rites (The Dresden Files) by Jim Butcher

I like living in Harry's world.

#2 Keepsake by Tess Gerritson
I read this one in a little over one sitting. So good! Josephine and her mother Medea are running. But from who? It's a very interesting whodunit.

#3 Bulls Island by Dorothea Benton Frank
I so loved this book. Betts McGee was a terrific heroine.

#4 Hide by Lisa Gardner
I enjoyed this spooky book. As I have enjoyed all Ms. Gardner's books.

#5 Shelter Me by Juliette Fay
I so loved this book. Janie's emotions are so raw, and the author gets them dead on. I was sad, sweet, angry and in the end, so happy!

message 2: by *Nan* (new)

*Nan* (Nan4471) Michele Good to see you here.

message 3: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Nan wrote: "Michele Good to see you here."

Hi Nan! It's nice to run into old friends again.

message 4: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #6Crisis by Robin Cook
Not one of my favorite Cook books. The story was good, but the book just felt "pompous". Does that make sense? Jack's relationship with his fiancee is just weird. He's always so worried he's gonna be in "trouble" with her. It's like she's his mommy. So I'm a little iffy on this one!

#7 The Bride's Baby by Liz Fielding
This was a free download from Kindle. Just a light bit of fluff and I wasn't expecting much from it, but I actually liked it. It was a very sweet romance, about a wedding planner who falls in love with the fiancee of one of her brides. The twists and turns that the book takes to the happy ending were so good.

message 5: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #8 Strangers in Death by J.D. Robb
It took me awhile to get to this book and to really get into it, but it was worth the trouble. As always, I enjoy Roarke and Eve and their relationship. The mystery was a good one.

#9 The Host by Stephanie Meyer
What to say? It was hard to get into this one, but I perservered through the first 120 pages. The middle was interesting but there was a lot of middle. The ending was AGGHHHH!!!!! I have no words. So did I enjoy it or not? I don't know! Probably.

message 6: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1725 comments Michele, geez, I missed it when you started posting. Hello, hello! (I used to post on the booklovers' thread on WW - I think you are the Michele I know from there . . . yes? Glad to see you!

message 7: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Kay wrote: "Michele, geez, I missed it when you started posting. Hello, hello! (I used to post on the booklovers' thread on WW - I think you are the Michele I know from there . . . yes? Glad to see you!"

Yes Kay, it's me. It's been such a treat to be here posting with you and all my favorite WW booklovers once again! Thanks for providing this meeting place!

message 8: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #10
Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris
I love, love, love this new series. Well it's new to me anyway. Can't wait to get going on the next one.

Model: A Memoir by Cheryl Diamond
This memoir of a 16 year old model on her own in New York just blew me away. It was riveting, but very scary from a parents point of view. Good thing she had her head screwed on right. I don't think her parents had theirs anywhere near daylight!!

message 9: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #12
Scent to Her Grave by India Ink
I enjoyed this "cozy"! Just discovered that there was a genre known as "cozy"!! Where have I been? Anyway, Persia and her Auntie run a bed and bath store where they sell bath salts and perfumes, etc that Persia creates. The mystery was good, the characters were good. Very enjoyable.

message 10: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1725 comments Michele,

I feel a little less out of the loop to see that I'm not the only one who didn't discover the cozy genre until recently. It is amazing, considering that my favorite TV shows were things like Murder She Wrote, Diagnosis Murder, McMillan and Wife, etc.

For some great information on the Cozy genre, check out "The Cozy Mystety List" at http://www.cozy-mystery.com/ It is a great place to find all the titles in a particular series, find new authors to read, etc. It's overwhelming, though, in that it's one of those spots that makes you think, "So many books, so little time". I also have a favorite blog by some cozy authors - check out http://www.cozychicksblog.com/

message 11: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Kay thanks for the websites. YUM can't wait to check them out. Glad to know that I wasn't the only one to know about cozys till recently. What fun to have so much to catch up on, huh?

message 12: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #13
The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister

Definitely my favorite book of the year so far. This one just curled around my heart and continues to stay there. The food was yummy, who knew Tiramisu could be so sensuous, and the characters were so real. I loved this book.

Blood and Ice by Robert Masello
I thought I was really going to love this book, but!! The beginning was great, the middle got really slow and lost me for awhile, and towards the end was awful. Good thing for a happily ever after. Just not my cup of tea, I guess. Loved the descriptions of the South Pole, though. If the book had just been about that, it would have worked for me.

message 13: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #15
Casting Spells by Barbara Bretton
I really liked this little cozy. A good romance, pretty good mystery, lots of knitting and some adventure. Couldn't ask for much more.

message 14: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #16
A Year on Ladybug Farm by Donna Ball
Another book I really, really enjoyed. Gotta be up there on my list for the year. Just a feel good book. A few tears, but lots of joy and I really came to love the three older women who decide to leave their comfortable lives and go on an adventure together. Truly delightful.

When Darkness Comes by Alexandra Ivy
A new vampire series to enjoy. It was pretty good. I enjoyed Dante, he was a decent, good vampire. Will definitely read #2 in the series.

message 15: by Michelegg (last edited Apr 21, 2009 12:47PM) (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #18 Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson

I'm not sure what to say about this book. It was beautifully written. I could see the farm where the old Trond lived, I could hear the river where the young Trong lived. I felt his heartbreak over his relationship with his father, and all the questions that relationship brought up.

But what the heck was up with that ending. It's like all of a sudden we're just done, with no questions answered and nothing wrapped up. Still, I did truly enjoy this book.

message 16: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1725 comments Michele wrote: "#16
A Year on Ladybug Farm by Donna Ball
Another book I really, really enjoyed. Gotta be up there on my list for the year. Just a feel good book. A few tears, but lots of joy and I really came..."

Michele, I hadn't heard of "Ladybug Farm" - I've just added to my "To Read" list. It sounds very good!

message 17: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Kay I hope you enjoy it. It was a good one!

The Diary by Eileen Goudge
This was such a sweet book. I loved the daughters and their confusion about a "love" in their mothers life that they hadn't known about. It all ended so sweetly!

The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted
Elizabeth Berg

This book just spoke to me, as do all her books. I'm not usually a short story reader, but I have to say that I enjoyed most of the stories in this collection. Face it, I just love this authors voice. It says the things I feel!

message 18: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #21
Nantucket Nights by Elin Hilderbrand

I enjoy Ms. Hilderbrands books, and I enjoyed this one. I love the descriptions of life on Nantucket. I wasn't expecting a mystery, which this turned out to be. Kept me guessing and didn't have a clue where it all would lead. Good book.

Reunion by Sharon Sala
I always love Ms Sala's books and this was no exception. This was about Gabriel who keeps having visons of a killer, and Laura who is a psychic and trys to help him. There was a great twist at the end!

The Lost Recipe for Happiness
Barbara O'Neal

I started this book and didn't want to stop reading. I loved the cooking and the recipes. I loved the story of Elena and her struggles with her arthritic body and memories of a car crash that took so many of her friends and loved ones. I loved the restaurant she and Julian open in Aspen. I really loved cranky Ivan who turned out to be such a lost soul but so good. I enjoyed Julian and Elena's love story. A good one!

message 19: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #24
Darling Jim
Christian Moerk

This was a good book. It was very dark and creepy. A great Irish story that was threaded throughout added much atmosphere. Enjoyable.

One Fifth Avenue
Candace Bushnell

I ripped right through this one. Not many loveable characters, but it was like a car wreck in that I just couldn't look away.

Tutu Deadly
Natalie M. Roberts

This was a sweet little cozy. Set in Ogden UT, not far from home. It was filled with lots of funny "mormonisms", that I enjoyed! The main character is not Mormon, so it was fun seeing Utah from her view point!

message 20: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1725 comments Michele,

Thanks for all these great comments. I'll steer away from "One Fifth Avenue" but I'll definitely take a good look at Elin Hilderbrand's "Nantucket Nights". Sounds right up my alley.

message 21: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #27
The Sleeping Beauty Proposal by Sarah Strohmeyer
Love this author and this book.

Snowbound
Janice Kay Johnson
Sweet little book with a good happily ever after.

Swimsuit by James Patterson
Couldn't put it down but it was very gory and confusing.

The Warrior
Sharon Sala
I love her books, this was no exception.

Heroic Measures
jill Ciment
I loved this book. Don't know how a book about an elderly couple looking for an apartment in New York works but it did. I couldn't put it down.

Crazy for the Storm
Norman Ollestad
This is another one of my favorite books of the year. It was tragic and heroic and I just bawled for Boy Ollestad, as his dad called him. Amazing writing!

The Time Traveler's Wife
Audrey Niffenegger
I didn't want it to end. Nough said!

Easy on the Eyes
jane Porter
I've read all her books and loved them all. I'm sure this is one I'll read again, slower next time to savor it all.

Girls in Trucks
Katie Crouch
A lot of small stories all connected in someway, and a book I couldn't put down.

One Second After
William R. Forstchen
This book scared the heck out of me. I had nightmares for days! That said, it was an amazing and interesting look at what the world would be like if we suddenly had no electricity at all. It took days for me to feel "normal" again after I finished it.

Salvation in Death
JD Robb
Not my favorite, but I still love Roarke and Eve.

The Wildwater Walking Club
Claire Cook
I loved this book. It made me want to buy a pedometer and get out and walk again. A good one.

Best Friends Forever
Jennifer Weiner
Such a good book. Funny, sad and so enjoyable.

The Ex-Mrs. Hedgefund
Jill Kargman
A cute quick read.

In the Heart of the Canyon
Elisabeth Hyde
A group of people go on a guided raft trip in the Grand Canyon. Great descriptions of the scenery. I liked it alot.

Olive Kitteridge
Elizabeth Strout
It's been over a month since I finished this book and I still think of it. It will be my favorite book of the year, I'm sure. It just resonated in my soul.

Henry's Sisters
Cathy Lamb
Oh how I loved this book. Another of my all time favorites this year. No words to describe it except it was amazing!

Life on the Refrigerator Door
Alice Kuipers
I bought this one when I was in Canada. Took me an hour to read and days to stop thinking about it. I shared it with my daughter, she came in crying and said, "thanks alot!! NOT!" lol It was pretty powerful for such a little book.

The Weight of Silence
heather gudenkauf
A great book. One I couldn't put down.

Vanished
Joseph Finder
Loved Nick Heller, he was a great hero. Good book.

Virgin River
Robyn Carr
Great book, can't wait to read more in the series.

Moon Called
Patricia Briggs
Took me forever to get through this one. Not sure I was gonna have a good review, but I think I'll move on to the next one in the series, so I must have liked something about it.

Very Valentine
Adriana Trigiani
Loved Valentine, loved this book!

message 22: by Merri (new)

Merri #42
Olive Kitteridge I am so glad to hear you enjoyed this I have it waiting on my TBR shelf!

message 23: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #50
The Art of Racing in the Rain
Garth Stein
I loved looking at life through the eyes of Enzo. I really liked this book. It just seemed to speak to me.

Breath by Tim Winton
This was a really dark story about a teenage boy in Australia and the man who teaches him to surf. It was about abuse and recovering from it. But the descriptions of the surf and beauty of Australia were amazing. Very haunting and very R rated!

My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent
Good short story.

Penny Pinchers Club by Sarah Strohmeyer
A really cute story about a woman who loves to shop and the club she joins to get out of debt. Good happily ever after.

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews
I LOVED this book. My very favorite fantasy/romance this year. It was a great story, with really great world building descriptions. Can't wait for the next one.

In a Perfect World
Laura Kasischke
This was another apocolyptical story that left me scared. This one was a quick read and I actually enjoyed it. Kind of a what if scenario about a flu epidemic.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
by Mary Ann Shaffer
By far my pick for best read of the year. Not sure why I waited so long to read it. And it was nothing like I expected. I thought light, quick fluff. Yeah, that was so not what it was. It affected me so much. I thought I'd never stop crying. So glad I finally read it!

13 1/2
Nevada Barr
This was a really creepy book, about a boy who woke up covered in blood and accused of killing his family. Kept me up till all hours finishing it. A good one.

hush, hush
By Becca Fitzpatrick
I read this in one day, couldn't put it down. There will be a tendency to liken it to Twilight, but I almost liked it more. Patch is a great fallen angel. Very enjoyable!

message 24: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1725 comments Really enjoyed reading all your comments, Michele. "The Penny Pinchers Club" sounds like one I should read, as I'm going through the "Total Money Makeover". I could use something lighthearted!

message 25: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #59
Vision in White by Nora Roberts
This was one I finished on a sweet sigh. So mushy and romantic. Mac, the photographer and Carter, the professor were so lovely together. Yummy!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
by Stieg Larsson
Oh how I enjoyed this book. It was odd, but so fascinating and I didn't want to stop reading. I was sad when it was through. And of course it's one that just stays in your thoughts for days. So glad I got past those first 150 pages, it's worth perservering!

Ice by Linda Howard
A quick read about a woman who is attacked by meth addicts during an ice storm and the man who saves her. Enjoyable.

The Christmas Lamp
by Lori Copeland
A free Kindle download. It was okay. Kind of disjointed and just never really came together for me.

Grave Surprise
by Charlaine Harris
#2 in the Harper Connelly series. I so love Harper and her brother. This mystery was a good one. I so enjoy this series.

12 books left to read by the end of the year. Can I do it? I'm in the middle of reading Stephen Kings new one, that won't help me get there. lol

message 26: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (StacieH) | 1115 comments Michele wrote: "12 books left to read by the end of the year. Can I do it? I'm in the middle of reading Stephen Kings new one, that won't help me get there. lol ..."

I know what you mean... I had a vague hope of maybe hitting 100 this year- I'm only about 10 away- but then I started Under the Dome (1,000+ pages) and I think that goal is shot all to pieces!

message 27: by Merri (new)

Merri Michele- you are way ahead of me! I haven't hit 50 books yet- between moving and not feeling well last summer- i hit a road block! I am hoping for at least 55 to 60 and will try again next year for more!

I loved Visions in White by Nora Roberts- every once in a while you need a book like that just to warm your heart! I have swimsuit on my TBR shelf!

message 28: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Stacie are you enjoying Under the Dome. I've heard reviewers say that it his his MASTERPIECE, so far I have to agree!

message 29: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Merri you are amazing. After all you've been through this year, to have read as many books as you have is a miracle. YAY for you. Have you read Bed of Roses yet? It's on my TBR pile. I"m saving it for the winter blues which are to come!!

message 30: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #64
Run for Your Life
James Patterson
#2 in this series. I happen to enjoy it very much. Very quick read, as his always are, but I love this character and his 10 children. I hope he will flesh out some of them in the books to come. I want to know them a little better.

In Their Blood
Sharon Potts
This was a pretty intense thriller. About a boy whose parents are murdered and his journey to finding out who killed them. I liked it.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane
Katherine Howe
I really loved this book. Had a little romance, a little mystery and lots of spooky things that kept me spellbound (pun intended!) A really great book.

message 31: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #67
Hope in a Jar by Beth Harbison
This was a really sweet book about a girl who has been in love with her best friend for 20 years, and he with her, but they never admitted it. And also about two friends who lost their friendship for 20 years and then find it again. Really enjoyable!

Black Hills by Nora Roberts
Probably not my most favorite of this authors, but still a pretty entertaining read. I loved Baby, the cougar, most of all. Good mystery, good romance, lots of time spent at The Refuge, which was fun to read about.

7 MORE TO GO!! Think I'm gonna do it.

message 32: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1725 comments That's great, Michele. I'm betting you'll get to 75.

message 33: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #69
Alex Cross by James Patterson
This was a fun, quick read. Gory as most of the Alex Cross books are. But I must say that I enjoyed it very much.

Lover Avenged by JR Ward
Oh I am always so sad when a Brotherhood book comes to an end. I spent three days wrapped up in their world and didn't want to leave. Now I feel lost. Sigh! Will I live till the next one comes out?

message 34: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #71
The Twelve Lies of Christmas
Kate Johnson
Must say that I didn't enjoy this little novella so much. Just seemed disjointed and odd.

Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione
This was kind of a cross between Buffy the Vampire Slayer and ER. The demons were very enjoyable.

Mistral's Kiss by Laurell K. Hamilton
#5 in the Meredith Gentry series. I enjoy Merry's world.

A Friend of the Family
by Lauren Grodstein
This was kind of a sad story about what happens when a parent can't let go of a child and let him grow up. Was hard to put down.

Fireside by Susan Wiggs
I love this series. And this was no exception. Bo and his sons' story was such a good one.

I READ 75 BOOKS THIS YEAR!! YAY ME!!

message 35: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1725 comments Hey, there! Congratulations, Michele!

message 36: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Thanks Kay!

message 37: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #76
A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole
Obviously I've been in a Paranormal romance mood the past month. HMMM what's up with that. But this was a pretty good one, I enjoyed Lachlain as the hero. Had some humorous bits too.

Shadow Season by Tom Piccirilli
This was an amazing book. The descriptions of life as a blind man were awesome. The story goes back and forth between the present and the past leading up to his current situation. The ending was perfect. Life at the girls school and the people trying to kill him and the girls and especially the storm were described to a T. Awesome book.

An Angel in Provence by Nancy Robards Thompson
I didn't realize that this was to short stories in one book until abruptly the first story ended. Then I discovered that the second story really should have been read first. Weird. But that said, they were sweet romances about women who leave their lives in America to live abroad in France. The descriptions of France were enjoyable as were the romances.

message 38: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) #79
Perfect Timing by Jill Mansell
Last book of the year and a sweet one it was. I enjoyed quirky Poppy and her journey to finding love with sweet Caspar, the artist. This was a good one. And a good way to end up my books of the year, all 79 of them!!

It was such a treat reading with all of you this year. Can't wait to get started on 2010!