The Gateroom discussion

Stargate General Chat > Favorite Series: SG:1, Universe or Atlantis?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terah (last edited Sep 27, 2012 08:32AM) (new)

Terah Edun (terahedun) I'm going to have to go with SG:1. I never really liked Universe, the overall production feel was too 'dark' and Atlantis didn't have nearly as adventurous or cohesive a team as SG:1.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 16 comments The order for me:

SG1
SGA (a very close second/tied for first)
SGU (not as close in 3rd)

I guess my problem with Universe is I was bummed that they were cancelling Atlantis and I was still trying to "get into" Universe. Also I kept forgetting when SGU was on or at least when the new episodes had been airing.

Atlantis - at first I was really excited about it and then I quickly got tired of the Wraith probably because of the way thy looked and the whole Vampire-type characteristic they have.

SG1 really enjoyed it love Amanda Tapping as Sam and General Hammond is truly a one of a kind. I had started getting tired of the way Daniel Jackson was "evolving" he was getting an attitude (or maybe I was just beginning to see it) just before he went on hiatus. Then I was a little undecided on Jonas and next thing I knew he was leaving and Daniel was coming back. When Richard Dean Anderson backed off a bit and O'Neill was "retiring" I thought the series would go down with a whimper, but they kicked things up with the addition of Mitchel and Vala and changing command of the SGC from Hammond to Landry.

The one thing that SG1 did that I will never "get over" is the death of Janet Fraiser. It was very well written and "Heroes" is one of my favorite stories, but I hated them killing her. Since Teryl Rothery returned in a few of the time-travel/alternate universe episodes I take it she had left the series on good terms.

message 3: by Terah (new)

Terah Edun (terahedun) Daniel Jackson is the ONLY reason I even watched the later seasons of SG:1 with the Ori. He and Vala held it together for me. O'Neill felt more absent than not even when he was there in the last few seasons, which made me sad. The original team was the best.

message 4: by Ron (new)

Ron Francis (ronfrancis32) | 5 comments Yeah, Jack definitely phoned in season eight, but he still had his moments. I thought the atlantis team was plenty cohesive once Ronan joined. I'd have to say SG1 with Atlantis a close second. The Stargate animated cartoon not a close third and Universe a distant fourth. I didn't care for that one too much.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 16 comments Ron wrote: "Yeah, Jack definitely phoned in season eight, but he still had his moments. I thought the atlantis team was plenty cohesive once Ronan joined. I'd have to say SG1 with Atlantis a close second. The ..."

I have yet to see the cartoon.

message 6: by Ron (new)

Ron Francis (ronfrancis32) | 5 comments CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian wrote: "Ron wrote: "Yeah, Jack definitely phoned in season eight, but he still had his moments. I thought the atlantis team was plenty cohesive once Ronan joined. I'd have to say SG1 with Atlantis a close ..."

I think it was only about 10 episodes or so, I purchased a homemade DVD at a comic con in Dallas 10-12 yrs ago.

message 7: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 187 comments Mod
Haven't seen the cartoons myself, just know it was called Infinity. But here's the IMDB profile: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0320969/?...

what was wrong with Universe? It was just getting good before it got cancelled. Sure it was darker in tone than SG1 and SGA, which probably was one of the mistakes. Seems like it tried being too much of a Battlestar Galactica-type to an extent perhaps.

message 8: by Ron (new)

Ron Francis (ronfrancis32) | 5 comments Anastasia wrote: "Haven't seen the cartoons myself, just know it was called Infinity. But here's the IMDB profile: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0320969/?...

what was wrong with Universe? It was just ge..."

For me, Universe just had too many characters and almost none of them likeable (except Eli).

message 9: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (castleofglass) | 2 comments I like SG1 the best, Atlantis was enjoyable, and I really did not like SGU. I thought it was too dark and dramatized. I can see how some people would like it though, the CGI was awesome.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 16 comments I liked SG:U but I agree it seemed there were too many characters. It really really reminded me of the reboot of Battlestar Galactica. I didn't see all the episodes but I am pretty sure I saw the last few. I also agree it was just getting better when they cancelled it, like Star Trek Enterprise.

message 11: by Anastasia (new)

SGU tried to be like Battlestar Galactica in mood/theme. Grittier, heavier, darker than SG1 or Atlantis. Sadly SyFy had to go and cancel it so it could air enough Ghost Hunters show. SGUs ratings didn't warrant the budget I reckon, but it wasn't a bad show, was just getting good, indeed

message 12: by Luci Ann (new)

Luci Ann Keenagh | 2 comments I really tried to like SGU but in the end, I think the lack of humour got to me. And I didn't really like any of the characters enough to care what happened to them! It just really lacked the special something that sg1 and SGA have.

message 13: by A (new)

A M H | 4 comments Stargate Atlantis is my favorite. Loved some of the characters and really enjoyed their McKay centered episodes. SG1 is second. Never really even tried to watch SGU. Only a couple episodes.

message 14: by Anastasia (new)

McKay-centered episodes are always a treat! It's so much fun watching David Hewlett in the role. Loved the dynamic between him and Daniel Jackson when he popped over to Atlantis too.

message 15: by Luci Ann (new)

Luci Ann Keenagh | 2 comments Oh yes, I loved the McKay/Jackson crossover! So very funny seeing the two of them together! And also O'Neill's episode on Atlantis was cool, his terribly dry wit in that invasion situation

message 16: by A (new)

A M H | 4 comments Yeah, Jackson and McKay where nice together. To bad there wasn't any other episodes like that.