Classics Without All the Class discussion

General > Feedback

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments We are always down for feedback on how to made out group the best it can be! You can post here or you can email us at feedback.classics@gmail.com

message 2: by Glen (new)

Glen Anderson | 4 comments I think... Cupcakes. yes

message 3: by Angie Downs (new)

Angie Downs I can't find the link to the map you created to show where the members are. Can you remind me of the link?

message 4: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) I'm on my phone so can't get to the link, but its under General -> Where we all are (active members)

message 5: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments I hope this works.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ll=43...

If a discussion ever disappears it's just because goodreads only allows so many discussions to show, but you can find them by clicking on the more discussions button, or the read all discussions button. For instance there are 17 discussions in the "General" forum, but goodreads only shows 5 of them on the main page.

message 6: by Angie Downs (new)

Angie Downs Thanks, so much! I knew there was reason why I couldn't see the original discussion, but just couldn't find it. :)

message 7: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Thanks Jeane!

message 8: by HeatherIlene (new)

HeatherIlene (heather_ilene) | 91 comments Oh that's pretty neat! Thanks for doing it :)

message 9: by Sandye (new)

Sandye Corcoran Amazing to see where we're all from! Thanks for posting the link!

message 10: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Sandye wrote: "Amazing to see where we're all from! Thanks for posting the link!"

HeatherIlene wrote: "Oh that's pretty neat! Thanks for doing it :)"

Tha map is ALL Karena! She is awesome for doing it! We're discovering places that we didn't even know were on the map!

message 11: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) It would be kind of neat if there was a yearly challenge. One of those things where you could say I want to read x number of books and then you make a shelf to place those books in to be counted. So many have goals of reading however many classics it would be a way for people to keep track of how many classics they read in relation to their goal. There aren't really any overall winners its more of personal challenge for the individual person.

message 12: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Travis of NNY wrote: "It would be kind of neat if there was a yearly challenge. One of those things where you could say I want to read x number of books and then you make a shelf to place those books in to be counted. ..."

Spooky, Travis! We are addressing reading challenges in the next podcast. We'll see what we can come up with!

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) Karena wrote: "Travis of NNY wrote: "It would be kind of neat if there was a yearly challenge. One of those things where you could say I want to read x number of books and then you make a shelf to place those boo..."

Great minds think alike. they say

message 14: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Just wanted to say I like the way y'all are running the group. I belonged to another group last year and I could never quite figure out when the book discussions actually happened with regard to the reading. There were too many books, too many options, and I am (apparently) easily confused! I like that you've set this up very clearly. It helps me make better use of my personal reading time, if that makes sense! So thanks!

message 15: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Margaret wrote: "Just wanted to say I like the way y'all are running the group. I belonged to another group last year and I could never quite figure out when the book discussions actually happened with regard to ..."

Definitely makes sense Margaret! Thank you so much! I'm glad you like our set up, we wanted a pretty easy to use format as well so it's good to see that it's working! :)

message 16: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (infiniteink) | 87 comments I am completely addicted to this group. I have always enjoyed reading classics, but in college I hated my literature classes because there was so much pressure and competition, not to mention that the professors usually pushed their own bias on the students.

I am grateful for this group because we're just reading for fun, and there's no shame in saying that you hate a certain hailed work or that you don't understand it. And if we hate the book, we can quit reading it. Excellent!

message 17: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Crystal wrote: "I am completely addicted to this group. I have always enjoyed reading classics, but in college I hated my literature classes because there was so much pressure and competition, not to mention that..."

Thanks so much, Crystal! We work really hard to make sure this is a place where people can't help, but log in and see what discussions are going on and not feel like we are shoving the book selection down their throats. Your words encourage us to keep it up!

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 28 comments Where can I find the March read, since we're voting on April now?

message 19: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Sandra wrote: "Where can I find the March read, since we're voting on April now?"

Hi Sandra! For March we are reading the The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Thanks for asking!

message 20: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Sandra wrote: "Where can I find the March read, since we're voting on April now?"

Also if you ever need to check, go to our home page and scroll all the way down. There is a section labeled Upcoming Reads. :)

message 21: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Adam wrote: "I will second Crystal's comments. Here we can enjoy the Classics without pretentions or any hesitation to say what we really think.

It is literature for our enjoyment and subject to our diverse t..."

Again, thank you for your kind words! We will continue to do our best to keep it running smoothly.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (lmcb) | 140 comments Sorry to post this here but I couldn't reply to the post in question and the author isn't accepting messages. In the February Classic Suggestions topic, the first rule should read later than 2003 rather than earlier (right?).

message 23: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Laura wrote: "Sorry to post this here but I couldn't reply to the post in question and the author isn't accepting messages. In the February Classic Suggestions topic, the first rule should read later than 2003 r..."

We have not opened the February thread since it's not February here on the West Coast until tomorrow, but no we are only reading books that were published before 2003. We've agreed on a ten year gap to let time determine if the books have "classic" material. "Earlier" denotes that it was published before and later would be more recently or after 2003. Hope this answers your question.

message 24: by Laura (last edited Jan 31, 2013 05:41PM) (new)

Laura (lmcb) | 140 comments Karena wrote: "Laura wrote: "Sorry to post this here but I couldn't reply to the post in question and the author isn't accepting messages. In the February Classic Suggestions topic, the first rule should read lat..."

I thought it said nothing earlier than 2003, (meaning books must be published in 2003 or later), sorry.

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 464 comments I just wanted to say...Thank you so much for providing such a great group. I joined in January. I am having fun reading and learning so much about literature. My English teachers would be so proud. You guys are great. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to read Life of Pi with everyone!

message 26: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Jessica wrote: "I just wanted to say...Thank you so much for providing such a great group. I joined in January. I am having fun reading and learning so much about literature. My English teachers would be so proud...."

Thank you! Feedback like this keeps us going. We try to keep it fun fo you guys! Life of Pi will be lots of fun, I think!

message 27: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Jessica wrote: "I just wanted to say...Thank you so much for providing such a great group. I joined in January. I am having fun reading and learning so much about literature. My English teachers would be so proud...."

Aw, Jessica! Thanks so much!

message 28: by Angie Downs (new)

Angie Downs Laura wrote: "Sorry to post this here but I couldn't reply to the post in question and the author isn't accepting messages. In the February Classic Suggestions topic, the first rule should read later than 2003 r..."

Hi Laura,

I fixed the wording on that post. I can see why it sounds confusing. Now it states, "Nothing published after 2003." I think that sounds better.

Thanks,

Angie

message 29: by Anita (new)

Anita Southall | 4 comments I checked out the map and it is super cool, I have been promoting Goodreads to many people and telling them about the group here. I have just enrolled in next session at Uni with Australian Literature for my journalism degree, would anyone recommend Australian classics?

message 30: by Anita (new)

Anita Southall | 4 comments Jeane wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I just wanted to say...Thank you so much for providing such a great group. I joined in January. I am having fun reading and learning so much about literature. My English teachers wo..."
Great Jessica nice to meet you here. I have joined the 7 other people waiting to get the Life of Pi fromthe library... might have to invest in a copy?

message 31: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Anita wrote: "I checked out the map and it is super cool, I have been promoting Goodreads to many people and telling them about the group here. I have just enrolled in next session at Uni with Australian Literat..."

Thanks for spreading the news! We appreciate it!
As for your request for Australian classics, we just opened a new folder called book suggestions. I would highly advise you to open a thread there. We have a friendly, widely read group that would probably leap at the chance to give you their suggestions. =)

message 32: by Alessia (new)

Alessia (allieonthemoon) | 59 comments Just wanted to say that the live twitter discussion was so much fun (despite - or especially because - the late hour!). Great idea and I'm looking forward to the next one.

message 33: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Alessia wrote: "Just wanted to say that the live twitter discussion was so much fun (despite - or especially because - the late hour!). Great idea and I'm looking forward to the next one."

We had a blast too! I think Jeane and I decided that we are going to do them for every podcast that we do book discussions. So I think the next one will be March 2nd. We aren't sure on a time yet, but we will let everyone know. Hopefully we can get more people and get it more polished.
Thanks for participating!

message 34: by Leora (new)

Leora (magratgarlick) | 60 comments Sometimes I can't remember the title or author of a book, and it drives me crazy! Is there a "name that book" thread for those of us with failing memories?

message 35: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) There is not, but you are more than welcome to start one. Great idea, Leora!

message 36: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Buis | 77 comments I just wanted to say I've been really enjoying reading the books for this book club and listening to the podcast. I really liked the CWAtC on the go and have jotted down some places to go in San Francisco. If you try to do another google hangout or whatever I'd love to join in.

message 37: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Lindsey wrote: "I just wanted to say I've been really enjoying reading the books for this book club and listening to the podcast. I really liked the CWAtC on the go and have jotted down some places to go in San Fr..."

Awesome Linsey! Thanks so much! We love feedback, especially when it's positive!