Book Talk with Kealan Patrick Burke discussion

Movies: What Are You Watching?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 303 (303 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I don't go to the movies. Haven't been in a theater since the opening of the original HALLOWEEN.

The last great movies I watched on DVD were NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, SESSION 9 and UNFORGIVEN.

message 2: by Char (new)

Char The Unforgiven was awesome, wasn't it?

message 3: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Yes, it was.

I almost forgot GRAN TORINO.

message 4: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I stumbled onto that one, bought it on a whim.

Great movie.

message 5: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Love a quietly atmospheric film.

The only special effects were David Caruso's toupee....

message 6: by Keith (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) Watched District 9 which I have seen time and time again. Works on all levels. Also watched 'Gone' with Amanda Seyfried, Wes Bentley, and Jennifer Carpenter. Not a bad film and though I thought it was going to be a paint by number film, it had a few twists and turns with the ending totally surprising me. I had it totally wrong. Overall a good film night.

message 7: by Char (new)

Char GlenGarry GlenRoss was an excellent film. I thought Alec Baldwin and Jack Lemon both did fantastic jobs.

message 8: by Keith (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) Kealan wrote: "I liked DISTRICT 9. GONE, not so much, but that has more to do with the fact that I can't stand Seyfried than anything else."

I have to say that Seyfried - I failed to see the attraction. I found that she looks like a human goldfish with legs. Her acting is nothing special but I did like the way it was filmed and how they didn't play to form, like they normally do. I will definitely watch out for this director.

message 9: by Keith (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) Can you imagine what their love children would bring to the table. Darwin would have been proud.

message 10: by Keith (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) Watched Bernard (Candyman) Rose's Paperhouse. A very interesting 80's fantasy/horror about a girl who draw things that come to life in her dreams. Beautifully film and extremely British but upper crust accents aside, it flows very well and interesting independent film that could have been on the Palace label in its day.

message 11: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments It would please Dr. Moreau

message 12: by Keith (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) It is probably an image that Clive Barker could do something with.

message 13: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Well, yes, but Clive is crazier than a halibut in a privet hedge.....

message 14: by Keith (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) and most definitely turn it into some crazy sexual S&M bipolar creation

message 15: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments We already have enough of those running around loose.

message 16: by Keith (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) True - so very very true.

message 17: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Sometimes I wonder why I bother being normal anymore....

message 18: by Char (new)

Char *snort*

message 19: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments See what I mean?

Nothing but abuse from the loonies......

message 20: by Keith (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) Normality is way over-rated. Have you ever seen what constitutes normal? You’re safer and a better person to be on the outskirts of that crap. The world is richer with true originals than normality.

message 21: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments My normal is not normal to anyone but me.

And I'm not only an original, I'm a limited edition original.
#1 of a series of one.

message 22: by Chris (last edited Sep 14, 2012 04:26AM) (new)

Chris Bowsman | 191 comments I need to watch it again to be sure, but I thought THE WOMAN IN BLACK was pretty great. After seeing him as Harry Potter eight times, I figured Daniel Radcliffe would seem typecast, but he fit the old-school horror setting very well.

THE GRAY with Liam Neeson is another recent favorite. I started watching it on my phone on a plane earlier this year (first time flying) and had to shut it off at the plane crash scene :)

message 23: by Keith (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) The Woman in Black is well done. It is part of the new Hammer Horror film company who have come back with a vengence. They also did the English remake of 'Let Me In' which not as good as the original but an interesting look at it.

If you are ever in London - check out the West End production of Woman in Black - very scary and frightening. Everyone screams and comes out petrified.

The Gray - I really liked that film and it wasn't overly done. They kept it pretty much in reality and thankfully - no hamming it up or chewing of scenery anywhere. Beautifully filmed as well.

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman | 191 comments I was surprised that all the Hollywood-BS about the wolves didn't ruin THE GRAY for me. I don't mind demonizing something for a film, ala JAWS, but all the wolf "facts" were absurd. Still, I think it's a fantastic movie, and I think Neeson is one of the most underrated actors in the US.

LET ME IN was great. I went into it expecting to write it off as Americanized-fluff, but wound up enjoying it more than the original.

message 25: by Keith (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) I think the two films 'Let Me In' and 'Let The Right One In' strangely complimented each other.

Hammer Film is doing a sequel to Woman in Black and a remake of Gaslight - could be interesting.

We didn't get the wolves stuff over here with the release of The Gray. Probably good I missed that one.

message 26: by Chris (last edited Sep 14, 2012 08:03AM) (new)

Chris Bowsman | 191 comments I meant the statements in the movie, like wolves holding grudges and sending in weaker pack members to feel out a potential enemy. All of that was BS.

In JAWS, they never try to make you think the movie shark's behavior is typical of real great white sharks.

message 27: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I don't think Liam Neeson could survive being stranded in a strong drizzle surrounded by ducks...

message 28: by Keith (last edited Sep 15, 2012 08:44PM) (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) Tonight I watched 'PIECES OF APRIL' with Katie Holmes before the Tom, and Patricia Clarkson - nice little movie that gets better with each viewing. The acting is so perfect except for Sean Hayes, he kind of slightly jars the piece.

I also watched 'NIGHT OF THE COMET'. Used to watch this when I was in college all the time as it seemed to be on an endless loop on HBO. As a cult film, it still stands up but it is kind of dated. What was cute then is a bit annoying now.

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman | 191 comments Had a mini-Star Wars marathon with the kids. Watched EMPIRE, now finishing A NEW HOPE. Obviously the two best of the franchise.

message 30: by Keith (last edited Sep 15, 2012 08:44PM) (new)

Keith Chawgo (kchawgo) This evening I watched 'MASK MAKER' a slasher type horror film that had some great ideas and an intriguing back story but unfortunately it ends up a typical slasher rip off. Shame because if they thought a little bit outside the box, it could have been good.

I also watched 'AMERICAN GOTHIC' with Yvonne DeCarlo and Rod Steiger. An interesting film that has its moments and is an extremely odd film. I enjoyed it but left me wondering why I did because I actually preferred the murderous family over the victims.

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman | 191 comments What did you guys think of THE CABIN IN THE WOODS?

message 32: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Overwhelming.....too much dialogue?
Too long?
Too many special effects?
Too many boobs?
Too many musical numbers?

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman | 191 comments I'm giving it a second shot. Hated it the first time.

message 34: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Did you get your money back the first time?

message 35: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman | 191 comments No, unfortunately. And the second viewing didn't turn out much better.

message 36: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments You're a masochist, you know that?

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman | 191 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "You're a masochist, you know that?"

I know. I watch a lot of crap.

message 38: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Chris wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "You're a masochist, you know that?"

I know. I watch a lot of crap."

At least twice, apparently.....

message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman | 191 comments Any movie I hate that everyone else loves gets at least two viewings. Oftentimes, it turns out like this one. Other times, it's like when I hated THE BIG LEBOWSKI, and I wind up feeling really stupid :)

message 40: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments You could save a lot of money just accepting that most people have deplorable taste and moving on.

It works for me.

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 301 comments Wow I need to do some catching up here. I want to comment on every movie mentioned but that would take forever and be boring anyway. Suffice to say I've seen almost every title mentioned.

I love Let the Right One In; it's one of the best horror films I've ever seen. Usually I hate remakes but I had to admit, the director stayed faithful to the original.

Woman in Black was good but not great. I enjoyed it for what it was but it wasn't that memorable. I LOVED Cabin in the Woods-the ending had me laughing and jumping all at the same time. It was a glorious, over-the-top send-up of all the best horror characters that just made the movie, in my opinion. And yet it was still creepy as hell, too.

Another movie making the rounds of film festivals and also available to rent on Amazon is V/H/S. This is one fantastic anthology film. It starts with the wrap-around story of a group of punks that like to create mayhem and madness and if they can make money doing it, all the better. The losers are given a job (by whom, we never know) to go to an abandoned house and collect a VHS tape. Only when they break in, they find a dead body and a pile of tapes.

They aren't sure what they are looking for, so they need to view all the tapes to see what it might be. Each video is a horror story. It starts off with a bang, stumbles a bit on Ti West's contribution, then gets right back into things with some solid, scary stories. Since each one is only about 20-25 minutes long, it keeps the stories and pacing fresh. The stories are eerie, creepy and sometimes outright crazy. I will buy this one the minute it gets released onto DVD.

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman | 191 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "You could save a lot of money just accepting that most people have deplorable taste and moving on.

It works for me."

I don't spend a whole lot on movies. $16 a month on Netflix plus the occasional thing I wanna see right away from Redbox. The only time we go to the theater is for a movie the kids wanna see.

message 43: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Chris wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "You could save a lot of money just accepting that most people have deplorable taste and moving on.

It works for me."

I don't spend a whole lot on movies. $16 a month on Netfli..."

Okay.
I get movies free from the library.
I rarely do.

message 44: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman | 191 comments I used to get them from the library a lot. Now I don't live as close so I always wind up taking stuff back late.

message 45: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I'm not thrilled with the idea that the library has been turned into a Blockbuster outlet.
And the waiting lists are ridiculous.

message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman | 191 comments It is super depressing when you see people leave with a stack of DVDs and no books.

message 47: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments They recently increased the amount of DVDs patrons can take out at my library, and they still go over the limit.
How many can you watch in two days?

It is a damn shame. Nobody checks out books anymore.

message 48: by Sharon/ LFrog1386 (last edited Sep 16, 2012 07:35PM) (new)

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 301 comments Kealan wrote: "I hated V/H/S. I had high hopes, but I didn't find any of the stories original, some of them were downright worthless (the slasher/woods entry was atrocious), and the wraparound material was nonsen..."

I totally disagree but hey, we all know what opinions are like, right?

I liked the slasher one because of the fact that it wasn't a straight-up serial killer. The way he/it was portrayed made it clear there was something supernatural going on. It actually creeped me out pretty darn well.

And what about the Skypeing to her boyfriend short (The strange thing that happened to Emily when she was young)? You can NOT say you had any idea how that would end! It certainly was not what I was expecting! I loved it, you hated it; guess we have to let others decide for themselves.

message 49: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments The Siskel and Ebert of Goodreads.....

message 50: by Jon Recluse (last edited Sep 16, 2012 10:32PM) (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Well then, one minority to another, how about giving me a couple of film recommendations to check out? Films released in the last 5 years or so.....horror, preferably....

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7