Tierra Encantada Charter School discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
Engl. IV > hospitality

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tierra Encantada | 76 comments Mod
The introductory section of Ch. 4 gives a long roster of those who attended Gatsby's parties. How do they behave toward their host? why, then, do they accept his hospitality?

Josh Smith | 18 comments the guests speculate about Gatsby's past saying that "hes a bootlegger" or that "One time he killed a man who had found out that he was nephew to Von Hindenburg and second cousin to the devil." I think that the guests accept his hospitality for the good time, by this i mean they accept his hospitality because they are selfish, Gatsby provides drinks, food, and entertainment and they come because all this is free.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 18 comments There were those people who were invited to the party and there they were those people who just showed up. They adore Gatsby without even knowing him. They were all clustered around him (pg. 52)

message 4: by Lyon (new)

Lyon Rivera | 16 comments The summer parties at Gatsby's house was full of people he didn't know. He invited these people to keep his sadness away. None of these people knew their host, but he thought they were "interesting people." They went to his parties because he was a good host.

message 5: by Mayra (new)

Mayra | 21 comments "On Sunday Morning while church bells rang in the villages alongshore, the world and its mistress returened to Gatsby's house and twinkled hilariously ob his lawn"(pg61)
This prase shows that alot of the people that wiuld go to his house were strangers.
most of them didnt even know Gatsby ! They Would just say that he was a good host.

"He's a bootlegger" (Pg61) People would talk bad about him but would still be ipokirtas and go to his partys.
"One time he killed a man"(Pg61)

message 6: by Mayra (new)

Mayra | 21 comments Gatsby acepts the hospatality so he wont feel lonley and he wont feel sad.

message 7: by Jesus (new)

Jesus | 21 comments The guest like to speak about romurs that the have heard of Gatsby "One time he killed a man who had found out that he was nephew to Von Hindenburg and cousin to the devil." The last sentence in paragraph 2 reveals that some guest dont know nothing of their host. The reason they go to Gatsby parties is to drunk and for the free food. "Reach me a rose honey, and pour me a last drop into that there crystal glass."

message 8: by Valeria (new) - added it

Valeria Ferrer | 9 comments Most of the people that showed up to his parties were strangers. They didn't know him but they showed up because of all the free food, drinks etc. "He's a bootlegger," said the young ladies. But I can still read the gray names, and they will give you a better impression than my generalities of those who accepted Gatsby's hospitality and paid him the subtle tribute of knowing nothing whatever about him. (pg 61) So they accepted his hospitality just because they were being hipocrites.

message 9: by Jaqui (new)

Jaqui Ruiz | 5 comments The people gatsby invites to his partys are all strangers. they are all hippocrates who go because he gives free food, drinks and he entertain's them. Also everybody would go around and spread romours about gatsby.

message 10: by Drew (new) - rated it 1 star

Drew | 19 comments The introductory section of Ch. 4 gives a long roster of those who attended Gatsby's parties. How do they behave toward their host? why, then, do they accept his hospitality?
most of them don't speak of what they really know about Gatsby they speak of what they want people to hear. lies exaggerations he treats them all as they do this not even knowing anything real about Gatsby but they all adore him and come to all his parties without even being invited. and the last part is because of the free hospitality is that not what 90% of rich people do.have a party to show off what they have