UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Love them? Hate them?

Do they make you ache for the next book or feel cheated?

message 2: by Kath (last edited Sep 12, 2012 11:12AM) (new)

Kath | 1965 comments definitely cheated unless specified in the blurb then it is my choice to read or not.

message 3: by Pat () (last edited Sep 12, 2012 12:46PM) (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments I think I like them, but I also think that it depends on whether I have the next book or not. If not, how long do I have to wait before I can continue with the story. If it is over a year, I am not so happy, if longer than that then I will hate them.

Edit to say if the book is good enough, I will grab it as soon as it comes out anyway!

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments If I know there's a next book, and it's already been written, and available through one-click, and I enjoyed the story, then I don't mind a cliffhanger.

If I have to wait a year for the next book to be written, then not so much.

I have to say though that if I don't like the book, a cliffhanger is definitely NOT going to make me buy the next one.

message 5: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Bloody hate them in books, love them in shows!

message 6: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments It depends on if it was a well written book to begin with and the cliffhanger fits. I despise when a book ends on a cliffhanger being the author cannot be bothered to think of an ending!

I love cliffhangers in tv shows though!

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments My favourite cliffhanger was in the Kenny Everitt Television Show where he strung up Mr Richard at the back of the set and announced: "look, a cliffhanger!"

And here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY7Ulg...

Don't you just love YouTube?

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments they hurt so good in tv shows!

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments I hate them in books. I feel it's laziness on the part of the author. They're supposed to make me love their characters enough to want to stay with them for another story, not just leave me in suspense. Leaving the story on a cliffhanger requires no drawing together of the plot. Lazy.

message 10: by Kath (last edited Sep 14, 2012 04:59AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25062 comments I've read some belting cliff-hanger books, some from our authors here. I know in advance that the story is part of a longer tale so I know (in fact I desperately hope) that all will not be resolved at the end of the current book. MT McGuire's second book has had me hanging on a cliff which I know I will inhabit for some time but I so love her stories and characters that I wouldn't be anywhere else!

Andy Barrett's Dead Trilogy left us hanging but all the books were there when I bought the first so I didn't hang around for long. I absolutely couldn't not have (double negative- see me!) read on as soon as possible.

The great one is Words to the Wise book 3 - by our own dear strange but wonderful Cornelius. I can perhaps confess that I'm currently previewing this and by hell, it's worth waiting for!

message 11: by Jud (last edited Sep 13, 2012 01:30AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments WHAT!!!!!

YOU ALREADY HAVE BOOK 3, IGNITE!!!

WAIT TILL I GET MY HANDS ON HIM, THIS IS NOT FAIR

message 12: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments What I truly detest though is the "reset to default" ending, where everything's more or less back where it started, and you can pretty much pick up the books in any order. That just stinks so much of cheap episodic TV...

message 13: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Tim A wrote: "What I truly detest though is the "reset to default" ending, where everything's more or less back where it started, and you can pretty much pick up the books in any order. That just stinks so much ..."

You mean like the Kathy Reichs books? Find dead body, find 2nd dead body, find 3rd, enough clues to narrow down bad guy, go after bad guy, get yourself caught, nearly die, save the day and bad guy goes down.

message 14: by Kath (last edited Sep 14, 2012 05:07AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25062 comments Jud, do you think I'm just here to enjoy myself? He's making me work for this privilege!

message 15: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments To be fair I would be rubbish as a proof reader. And at least this way I get to read the perfected article and not a rough cut one... I think I win in this situation.

message 16: by Jay-me (Janet) (last edited Sep 13, 2012 03:56AM) (new)

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments Ignite wrote: "Jud, do you think I'm just here to enjoy myself? He's making me work for this privilage!"
Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "To be fair I would be rubbish as a proof reader. And at least this way I get to read the perfected article and not a rough cut one... I think I win in this situation."

I have spotted a few typos recently amongst the many books that I have read. A couple were so silly I highlighted them and made daft comments. I don't know whether I should pass them on to the author or just leave them. Perhaps they should be Ignited.

**Cliffhangers**
Good if you have the next book, or know that you can get it easily.
Bad If you didn't realise the book was part of a series, or the next book is out of your price range.
Very Bad if there isn't a next book in existence at the moment and you don't know when it will be available.

message 17: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I don't mind a cliffhanger so long as the book you have been reading is resolved and has an ending.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments I've just had another thought about cliffhangers - it depends on how big the cliff is and whether it is the main character(s) who have an unresolved ending.
I do like the current crisis to be resolved, & the cliffhanger to be something which leads into the new book - leaving you wanting more, but satisfied as well.
When I read David Eddings for the first time I was always waiting for the next book in the series to be published - then the final book supposedly tied up all the loose ends, but in my mind there were still more questions. My friend read the book at the same time & now when a book has some unresolved issue (& no sign of a sequel) I always think of the question we asked then "What happened to the goat?"

message 19: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Jay-me (Janet) ~plum chutney is best~ wrote: "I've just had another thought about cliffhangers - it depends on how big the cliff is and whether it is the main character(s) who have an unresolved ending.
I do like the current crisis to be res..."

Jay-me explains what I mean better than I do.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "Jay-me (Janet) ~plum chutney is best~ wrote: "I've just had another thought about cliffhangers - it depends on how big the cliff is and whether it is the main character(s) who have an unresolved en..."

& I thought I waffled.

message 21: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 114 comments I like being left with something to ponder. My favourite ending was in Better than Life... I loved the way it left the story (you'll have to read it to find out more).

message 22: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25062 comments Even in a book where the entire story is finished I really don't mind if I'm left thinking things over. See, I wouldn't mind of I didn't know what had happened to the goat! Real life doesn't tie ends up.