The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > Arrested Development, anyone?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
I just wanted to see if any of you are Arrested Development fans and if not introduce you to one of the most hillarious well-written tv shows of all times. Unfortunately the show was cancelled after 3 seasons - my opinion on why is that FOX did a poor job of marketing - it received critical praise galore - the series received six Emmy awards, one Golden Globe, copious critical acclaim, a cult fan base, several fan-based websites, and a spot on Time Magazine's 100 Greatest Shows of All Time.

Ok here's a brief review:
Arrested Development was a character-driven American television comedy series about a formerly wealthy, habitually dysfunctional family. The plot of Arrested Development revolves around the members of the Bluth family, who generally lead excessive lifestyles. At the center of the show is the relatively honorable Michael Bluth (Jason Bateman), who strives to do the right thing and keep his family together, despite their materialism, selfishness, and manipulation. His teenage son, George Michael (Michael Cera), has the same qualities of decency, but feels a constant pressure to live up to his father's expectations, and is reluctantly willing to follow his father's plans, which do not always agree with his.

Michael's father George Bluth Sr. (Jeffrey Tambor) is the patriarch of the family. At times dictatorial, George Sr. goes to considerable lengths to manipulate and control his family. His wife, and Michael's mother, Lucille (Jessica Walter), is equally manipulative, as well as materialistic, and hypercritical of every member of her family. In particular, she has a tight grip on her youngest son Byron "Buster" Bluth (Tony Hale), who, as a result of his mother's dominance and sheltering, is unstable, socially inept, and prone to panic attacks.

Michael's older brother G.O.B. (an acronym for George Oscar Bluth II but pronounced Job, as in the Biblical figure), played by Will Arnett, is an unsuccessful professional magician whose business and personal schemes usually fail. He uses a Segway for transportation, and sometimes converses with others from it while stationary, as if it were a pulpit. GOB is used by his father to undermine Michael's control of the family business. Michael's twin sister Lindsay Fünke (Portia de Rossi) is flamboyant and materialistic, continually desiring to be the center of attention and attracted to various social causes, usually for a week or so. She enjoys being objectified, but also protests it. She is married to Tobias Fünke (David Cross), a discredited psychiatrist, aspiring actor, and "never-nude", whose language and behavior have homosexual connotations. Their attention-starved but sweet daughter Mae "Maeby" Fünke (Alia Shawkat) is the polar opposite of her cousin George Michael—skipping school, cheating on homework, and stealing money from the family's banana stand business. The ever-rebellious teen, Maeby's chief motivation is going against her parents' wishes.

Several other characters regularly appear in minor roles. George Sr.'s identical twin brother Oscar (Jeffrey Tambor) is a lethargic ex-hippie seeking the affection of George's wife Lucille. The family's lawyer, Barry Zuckerkorn (Henry Winkler) is an incompetent sexual deviant, who often hinders the family's legal battles rather than helping them. Lucille Austero, or "Lucille 2", played by Liza Minnelli, is Lucille's "best friend and chief social rival" as well as Buster's love interest. Carl Weathers plays a parodic version of himself as an unemployed, ultra-cheapskate actor.

Ok, I've turned all of my family and friends on to this show and I have never found a person who didn't love it. It has a major cult following for a reason. I think Gilmore Girl fans will especially enjoy the show because of the layer upon layer jokes that only get better and funnier with each following episode. Seriously, when I am having a bad day or I'm sad depressed, whatever I pop in an episode of AD and laugh my ass off and feel so much better. I didn't think anything could be this funny.

And... even though this wonderful show has been cancelled - they are working on a possible movie - which may in turn bring this wonderful tv show back. Seriously if you have not watched this show give it a chance - you will not be disappointed.

message 2: by Rauf (new)

Rauf

I'm a big arrested development fan.

It's hillarious. Some of the things coming out of Tobias's mouth ... 8) have mercy.

message 3: by Megs (new)

Megs | 3 comments Shannon your synopsis of the show and characters is the BEST! I've tried explaining it to people but its almost impossible to get across just even the humor in their names alone. Just reading your description makes me laugh!

Anyways, you are right it is one of the best shows ever. And no matter how many times you watch it you always stumble upon a joke that you missed before. GOB on his Segway! hahaha

I seriously recommend this show to everyone. Especially GG fans. The humor is obvious yet not so at the same time.

3 Seasons was not enough!!

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin | 47 comments Shannon--I am so glad you watch this show! Buster is my favorite; have you seen the episode where they throw him the going away party and the banner reads"You're Killing Me Buster!" It's my favorite! Bob Loblaw (Scott Baio) the family lawyer is fantastic too. I wish they made more episodes.

message 5: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments great topic. :)

i was just recently thinking of breaking out my AD dvds for some marathon watching. definitely one of the funniest shows ever on tv.

message 6: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Sorry I have to admit - I lifted the synopsis from wikipedia.

Glad to see so many fans!!! Originally I would say my favorite character is GOB. A few months ago my husband and I rented segways and it was amazing I think I channeled GOB the entire time. Now I want one for myself, seriously.

As for the movie news, MTV recently did an interview with Jason Batemean and Michael Cera (who will always be George Michael too me) on their new movie Juno - which looks pretty good by the way - and I try support all AD alumni in every way. Apparently they are trying to get Hurwitz to write the movie during the writer's strike. http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/12/06/...

Maybe something positive will come out of the strike. My husband and I decided last night to cancel our cable until the strike is over and new shows are back. We will be reading, working on various other projects, and renting for tv entertainment.

Erin - yes I love Buster. My family is really into the show - we've adapted making banners for family functions. At the afterparty for my wedding, my sister made a banner that said "I've made a huge mistake." An absolute inside joke for AD fans and a lot of confused looks and questions from the outsiders. Also for the very last song played at our reception during the cleanup phase was the ending theme song from the show. I love AD!!!

message 7: by Rauf (new)

Rauf Not the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner? 8)

"We demand to be taken seriously"

message 8: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

LOL - yeah that would have been a good one!

message 9: by Savannah (new)

Savannah (tigermilk) I love AR! I'm so upset that they canceled Arrested Development, but Two and a Half Men is still on the air. What is that?

I've gotten my whole family into the show and my brother and I often quote it randomly. My mother was so amused when she asked him where something was and he responded with, "Don't ask me. I'm just the boy's father."

message 10: by Rauf (new)

Rauf Savannah, that is so true. I also dislike the fact that boring and formulaic Two and a Half Men are still around while shows like AD or Futurama got nixed.

BTW, Which lines do you often quote?

I think the magic of arresed DEVELOPMENT's lines is...most of them are brilliant but some lines are so ordinary but it keeps repeating so they're stuck in me brain.

Some of the lines I tend to blurt out in a conversation:

"I just want my kids back."

"We demand to be taken seriously."

"And I'm OK with that."

"Return from whence you came."

"COME ON!"

message 11: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Oh the frozen banana hut...how I miss thee!

My favorite character was GOB. But it was brilliant casting and brilliant writing and brilliant acting. But unfortunately, most tv viewers don't want brilliant. They want easy-to-digest, frozen tv dinner kind of shows. I don't mind a little mindless humor now and then, but why-oh-why must all the smart shows be so poorly viewed? And how can you not love a show that has Julia Louis-Dreyfus portraying a blind attorney who's pretending to be blind?

Season 3 is on my Christmas List!

message 12: by Savannah (new)

Savannah (tigermilk) WH:
"STEVE HOLT!" With the arms as well!
"I've made a huge mistake."
"I'M A MONSTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!"
"Marry me!"
"Babysit me!"
"No touching."
"You must teach me the ways of the secular flesh."

And I often talk about getting alligators in spelling and "whitey", which cracks my mother up.

message 13: by Meghan (new)

Meghan What about the seal?

And the mother/son talent competition.

message 14: by Rauf (new)

Rauf Ah yes 8)
I forgot STEVE HOLT! Of course when I said it it's W.H!.

Marry me, no touching and he's really good are also a classic.

Yeah. The seal bit Buster's hand. Then the seal's flipper got bitten by a shark.

message 15: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments "I already have a little Lucille in my life."

God I love this show! I've been watching my dvds this week. can't get enough of it!

message 16: by Ed (new)

Ed | 48 comments One of the greatest shows to grace the airwaves and it's a shame showtime or some network would not or could not pick it up.

message 17: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Yay more AD fans!!

Meghan on the frozen banana note - this year for Halloween I dressed up as a banana. Man that was a funny experience, especially when I ran into a gorilla who decided to follow me around the entire night.

message 18: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
My cousin who knows my tastes really well said I would love this show. But have never seen it... bummer.

message 19: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments Luckily they have DVDs at Blockbuster for usually at least Seasons 2 and 3. I think I have seen the entire show 3 times. One of the wittiest and most hilarious shows ever.

message 20: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Okay, I didn't know where to post this and didn't want to start a new thread. But to keep this in line with the topic...there's rumors again that there's a movie deal in the works for AD! YAY!

But also, there's a 3D movie of the Christmas Carol in the works AND Tim Burton is doing a 3D version of Alice in Wonderland. I think that story is SO up his alley! But how weird will be to have the Mad Hatter coming straight at you! And can you picture Marley's Ghost in 3D!?

Plus, Perfect Strangers Seasons 1 & 2 came out on dvd. As I've been to Mykonos now, it puts Belki's whole life into new perspective.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) I love this show. I was so sad when it went off the air. I just read that Will Arnet, who played Gob, will be the voice of Kitt in the new Knight Rider series.

message 22: by Arctic (last edited Feb 23, 2008 09:37PM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments RE all of the above news:
Let us do the dance of joy!

*does dance of joy*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPg5L...

message 23: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Olive that's so weird... I just finished watching that new Knight Rider and then read your post. Trippy!

message 24: by Meghan (new)

Meghan oooohhhh thanks for the memories Heather!

message 25: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jordieheartsbooks) Will Arnet actually had to back out of voicing KITT because it's a Ford Mustang and he has a contract with GMC. Here's a link to an article from Entertainment Weekly (where I get all my pop culture news & gossip).

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20176...

message 26: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

I really hope the movie deal goes through!! Bummer that Arnett couldn't do the voice for Kitt. I am waiting for Arnett to really break out in a role outside of AD. While I love all the AD characters - he is probably my favorite.

message 27: by kate (new)

kate (kadence) | 15 comments i've recently become highly addicted to this show, it's on every day on a canadian network. i only wish i knew of it when it was actually on!

message 28: by Audreedee (new)

Audreedee | 47 comments Oh I love this show..My most oft quoted lines are
"I've made a huge tiny mistake"
"Shouldn't you be filming in a cave?"

I loved Anne Veal. The episode where George Michael is talking about running for student president and the two of them get all worked up about what their wedding night will be like is genius..

message 29: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Arrested Development? Soooo funny. My whole extended family has a tradition of watching the DVD's over the holidays up at my sisters in Park City.

message 30: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

The movie is up on imdb as in production. Joy!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0901469/