Read It Forward discussion

The People of Forever Are Not Afraid
Book Chats > THE PEOPLE OF FOREVER ARE NOT AFRAID by Shani Boianjiu

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Read It Forward | 97 comments Mod
RIFers! Shani Boianjiu's The People of Forever Are Not Afraid: A Novel lands in book stores this week and has reviewers raving.

Recently published in The New Yorker, and the youngest recipient ever of the National Book Foundation’s 5 under 35, Shani is a writer to watch. Her debut will knock your socks off.

Check out Shani Boianjiu's Read It Forward essay on the Israeli urban legend that inspired one of the most intense moments in The People of Forever Are Not Afraid.

Reading her novel, we were shocked at how little we knew about the Israeli army and its young recruits. It made us think about other books we read and loved - books that introduced us to a topic we'd never before explored.

What are some books you've read that left you thinking, "Wow! I never realized how little I knew about ___ and now I'm completely fascinated...."

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 57 comments Two books by Richard Preston: one THE HOT ZONE and another DEMON IN THE FREEZER. You sure don't want to read either of these books if you're sick. I read DEAMON when I had the flu, and that made it even scarier. Both books are nonfiction about germs. I know that sounds dull, but they sure weren't!

Read It Forward | 97 comments Mod
Beth, I couldn't agree more about THE HOT ZONE! I haven't yet Preston's other book but based on your recommendation, I will!

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 57 comments Read It Forward wrote: "Beth, I couldn't agree more about THE HOT ZONE! I haven't yet Preston's other book but based on your recommendation, I will!"

DEMON IN THE FREEZER is probably his best book. It's scary that hardly anyone knows what he shows, that we came SO close being wiped out by the smallpox virus and still run that risk with countries that want to use biological warfare--and there are many. Read it. Its so informative, so interesting and relatively easy to read, considering its subject matter. I wish more people in the US would read it.