Chicks On Lit discussion

Spookey Reads for October! Suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Sep 12, 2012 08:32AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I want to get cracking on some spookey reads for October & seem to be having trouble this year finding them so before I take a trip to B&N Fri and the annual library book sale on Sat, I wanted to see what my fellow Chicks suggest!

I'm talking ghosts/hauntings (or the chance that there is a ghost/haunting but no one can ever prove it) but *not* outright horror/gore. (Less is more for me there lol) Novels set in the Autumn or at Halloween. Big old houses etc! Magical Realism would work too perhaps. (I'm an Alice Hoffman fan and have read Blackbird House, Practical Magic and Here On Earth). Maybe set in Salem MA. (I've read The Heretic's Daughter and The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane already).

(No Stephen King! I've done many a SK over the years when I was younger and while he's still a favorite author, I'm not going in that direction now).

Any suggestions would be appreciated! :o)

message 2: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Jo, I'm hoping to finally get to The Phantom of the Opera, as I didn't read it when it was a Classics Club choice. Have you read The Thirteenth Tale? There's a big old house where things are not as they appear. I'll try to think up some more.

I'd be interested in what you find, I'm a "less is more" in the scary department, too.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Phantom of the Opera, good classic choice! I have Dracula & The House Of The Seven Gables as well. I read Frankenstein last year as a Classics read.

I read The Thirteenth Tale a few years ago, half hated it half loved it lol!

I have a list here someplace, I'll have to find it.

message 5: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy (chrissyfair) | 5 comments Years ago, I read Superstition and I highly recommend it. Although I don't remember the actually ghost story itself very well, the ideas it explores about group subconscious, the nature of reality, and the power of the mind have really stuck with me.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Great suggestions Jenny & Chrissy! Thank you :o)

message 7: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Let's see...when you say ghosts/hauntings and scary houses I think The Amityville Horror.

For just general scary, I would say maybe by Edgar Allan Poe, like The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I have The Amityville Horror but because the last time I watched the original movie it spooked me pretty bad, I can't read the book! LOL!

I read that Poe last year around October but didn't remember until you just suggested it!

message 9: by Petra (last edited Sep 12, 2012 06:07PM) (new)

Petra Both The Monk and The Castle of Otranto may fit the bill. They are fun, gothic style books.

message 10: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
LOL Jo! Truthfully, I don't know that I'd be brave enough to read Amityville either. :o) I know the movie was scary.

You could always try Poltergeist, though that movie was pretty scary too! :o)

message 11: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 487 comments I'm always on this hunt around September--this year, it's not going so well, but it's early yet. I just finished one set in Salem called The Lace Reader, and it was weird but good. I also saw one at the bookstore today that I'm interested in--it's called Inamorata. That looked intriguing though I haven't read it yet...

message 12: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
I don't know if it's as scary as the others mentioned. It's rather light but still a nice ghost story The Graveyard Book is a great book. I actually found it in the Juv section in my library (not even YA) but it was really good.

message 13: by Petra (new)

Petra I'd forgotten about The Graveyard Book. It's a good option for October reading. I listened to the audio, narrated by Neil Gaiman, and thought it was really well done. It's a young book but so well done and a very good story.

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan Underwood | 267 comments Thanks for starting this discussion. I would suggestThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. They were pretty creepy books and would be great for Halloween.

message 15: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments The Graveyard Book was fun, and Jack was kinda creepy, in my opinion.

I haven't read it, but they sound like they could be good stories, The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton.

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise I loved The Graveyard book - and Coraline!

There's the "Spooky" series - with various spooky tales from different areas of the U.S. an example;
Spooky New York Tales of Hauntings, Strange Happenings, and Other Local Lore by S.E. Schlosser

Other ideas :
The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers The Greatcoat by Helen Dunmore
And one ya series I love reading this time of year!
The Spook's Apprentice by Joseph Delaney

message 17: by Donna (new)

Donna | 31 comments Rebecca

The Shadow of the Wind

I read them both this year and loved them. Both great books with just enough spookiness to keep it interesting.

message 18: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (travelswithboooks) | 20 comments Ruined by Paula Morris. YA but very good!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Petra wrote: "Both The Monk and The Castle of Otranto may fit the bill. They are fun, gothic style books."

Liking those suggestions, thanks so much!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Sheila wrote: "LOL Jo! Truthfully, I don't know that I'd be brave enough to read Amityville either. :o) I know the movie was scary.

You could always try Poltergeist, though that movie was pretty scary too! :o)"

Not touching Poltergeist LOL! Movie didn't scare meso much but reading it may be another story.

It took me 6 years to read The Exorcist LOL! I kept picturing the movie and would have to stop reading.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Cassie wrote: "I'm always on this hunt around September--this year, it's not going so well, but it's early yet. I just finished one set in Salem called The Lace Reader, and it was weird but good. I also saw one a..."

I really enjoyed The Lace Reader! Weird yes, but in a good way :o)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Tera wrote: "I don't know if it's as scary as the others mentioned. It's rather light but still a nice ghost story The Graveyard Book is a great book. I actually found it in the Juv section in my library (not..."

Sounds good Tera, thank you!!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Megan wrote: "Thanks for starting this discussion. I would suggest The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. They were pretty creepy books and would be great ..."

That's the Shirley Jackson novel I've been trying to remember the name of! Thanks so much for mentioning it. And I'll look into the Agatha novel too :o)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Donna wrote: "Rebecca

The Shadow of the Wind

I read them both this year and loved them. Both great books with just enough spookiness to keep it interesting."

I swear I've read Rebecca, I'll have to double check my lists.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Jennifer W wrote: "The Graveyard Book was fun, and Jack was kinda creepy, in my opinion.

I haven't read it, but they sound like they could be good stories, The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton."

I have The Ghost Stories Of Edith Wharton and love it! I re-read "All Souls" every year, my favorite of all of her short stories.

message 27: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I plan on reading Wicked Autumn
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4844 comments Jo wrote: "Sheila wrote: "LOL Jo! Truthfully, I don't know that I'd be brave enough to read Amityville either. :o) I know the movie was scary.

You could always try Poltergeist, though that movie was pretty..."

I refuse to read The Exorcist. The movie was bad enough.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Rebecca wrote: "I plan on reading Wicked Autumn
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10..."

I'm not usually one for mysteries but I do enjoy English mysteries, thanks for mentioning this one!

message 30: by Megan (new)

Megan Underwood | 267 comments Jo wrote: "Donna wrote: "Rebecca

The Shadow of the Wind

I read them both this year and loved them. Both great books with just enough spookiness to keep it interesting."

I swear I've read Rebecca, I'll have..."

I really need Rebecca to come out via Kindle. I have been waiting to read this book forever.

message 31: by Megan (new)

Megan Underwood | 267 comments Misery by Stephen King was very scary. I thought the book was better than movie.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Read just about every Stephen King there is so that's why I mentioned no SK in my initial comment :o) With Misery I preferred the movie :o) To each her own!

message 33: by Terri (new)

Terri Bruce (terribruce) Ooh, good topic! Let's see:

I recently read Whisper (Whisper Trilogy, #1) by Chelsea M. Cameron which features a ghost (YA paranormal romance) (this was a good read!)

Anna Dressed in Blood is on my list to read. Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake

Hereafter by Tara Hudson also features ghosts(I haven't read it) Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson

Milk Carton People is creepy - about people who turn invisible and who may or may not be dead Milk Carton People by Sally Franklin Christie

For some literary fiction Autum Bridge and Peony in Love Peony in Love by Lisa See both feature ghosts.

James Joyce's Turn of the Screw is "possibly ghosts that can't be proved real"

The Canterbury Ghost, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and also Wuthering Heights (might possibly feature a ghost or not).

Er, my own novel (Hereafter) features ghosts, is set in the fall, and takes place in Salem, MA (at the beginning of the story at least) but it's not spooky :-)

Haunted: Ten Tales of Ghosts (collection of short stories)

Skeletons in the Swimmin' Hole: Haunted Tales of Disney World by Kristi Schoonover Petersen

To Love a London Ghost (paranormal romance, not really spooky) by Maeve Alpin

Haunted by Alma Alexander (collection of short stories)

And anything by Renee Mallet (collection of "true" folk tales/ghost stories from different cities/towns in New England).

Whew. Hope this helps! I'll probably think of more now that you have me started thinking about this :-)

--Terri

message 34: by Terri (new)

Terri Bruce (terribruce) Jo wrote: "Jennifer W wrote: "The Graveyard Book was fun, and Jack was kinda creepy, in my opinion.

I haven't read it, but they sound like they could be good stories, The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton."

I ..."

I inherited a bunch of books (all classics) from my uncle and was going through them recently - I think I saw this book in there! Now I'll have to see if I can find it - I've never read any Edith Wharton and really should. This seems like a good place to start! :-)

message 35: by Nell (new)

Nell Rebecca wrote: "I plan on reading Wicked Autumn
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10..."

There are no ghosts or 'spookiness' in Wicked Autumn. It's a classic murder mystery (Agatha Christie style) set in an English village. First in a new series by G.M. Malliet. It's a very good mystery, but there's nothing spooky about it.
Wicked Autumn (A Max Tudor Mystery, #1) by G.M. Malliet

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Terri wrote: "Ooh, good topic! Let's see:

I recently read The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld, #4) by Gena Showalter which features a ghost (YA paranormal romance) (this was a good read!)

Anna Dressed in Blood is on my list to read.[bookcover:Anna ..."

Great list of suggestions!!! Thanks so much!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Terri wrote: "Jo wrote: "Jennifer W wrote: "The Graveyard Book was fun, and Jack was kinda creepy, in my opinion.

I haven't read it, but they sound like they could be good stories, The Ghost Stories of Edith Wh..."

I'm not usually a short story gal, but I love Edith Wharton's short stories, the ghost stories volume in particular. She has such a way with setting mood and letting you decide if there's something truly strange afoot or not! All Souls is my favorite of all her stories, an annual must re-read!

message 38: by Julia (new)

Julia Love love love this topic! I suggest Graham Joyce The Tooth Fairy The Tooth Fairy by Graham Joyce , also if you've not read it yet Melissa Marr's Graveminder Graveminder by Melissa Marr (actually her Wicked Lovely might suit as well). Also Charlaine Harris (of True Blood fame) had another series that I preferred, about a young woman who could see the dead, the first of those is Grave Sight Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1) by Charlaine Harris . I loved many of the books mentioned in the previous messages as well, just trying to add some new ideas to the hopper.

message 39: by Julia (new)

Julia Oh one more thought -- if you're open to YA at all, give the very atmospheric The Dark Is Rising a whirl, by Susan Cooper. The Dark Is Rising (The Dark Is Rising, #2) by Susan Cooper And also if you can find it (think it may be out of print) The Queen of Spells by Dahlov Ipcar The Queen of Spells.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Terri, do you have an author for Autumn Bridge? It's not coming up.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) And Turn Of The Screw is Henry James, not James Joyce :o)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Julia wrote: "Love love love this topic! I suggest Graham Joyce The Tooth Fairy The Tooth Fairy by Graham Joyce, also if you've not read it yet Melissa Marr's Graveminder Graveminder by Melissa Marr (actually her Wick..."

More great suggestions! Thanks so much Julia!

message 43: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 209 comments There are a few modern retellings of some good creepy/gothic stories as well. I haven't read these yet so I can't comment on their quality.

Retellings of The Turn of the Screw:
Tighter by Adele Griffin The Turning by Francine Prose

Retelling of And Then There Were None:
Ten  by Gretchen McNeil

Retelling of Rebecca:
New Girl by Paige Harbison

message 44: by Terri (last edited Sep 19, 2012 07:20AM) (new)

Terri Bruce (terribruce) Jo wrote: "And Turn Of The Screw is Henry James, not James Joyce :o)"

D'oh, I totally know that! I do that all the time for some reason - I switch the two of them. I don't know why...can we just pretend that James wrote Ulysses and Joyce wrote Turn of the Screw? It would make my life so much easier :-)

message 45: by Terri (new)

Terri Bruce (terribruce) Jo wrote: "Terri, do you have an author for Autumn Bridge? It's not coming up."

Yes - it's Takashi Matsuoka (for some reason it wouldn't come up in the "add book/author" search but in the regular goodreads search it comes up: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56...

Autumn Bridge is actually a sequel to Cloud of Sparrows and both are VERY good if you like historical fiction set in feudal Japan. I just finished rereading Cloud of Sparrows recently and actually have Autumn Bridge on my nightstand to re-read next :-)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Terri wrote: "Jo wrote: "And Turn Of The Screw is Henry James, not James Joyce :o)"

D'oh, I totally know that! I do that all the time for some reason - I switch the two of them. I don't know why...can we just p..."

LOL! No worries :O)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Terri wrote: "Jo wrote: "Terri, do you have an author for Autumn Bridge? It's not coming up."

Yes - it's Takashi Matsuoka (for some reason it wouldn't come up in the "add book/author" search but in the regular ..."

Thanks for the link!

message 48: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Librizzi I really do not have any experience with ghostly reads, but will be willing to try anything recommended for October.

message 49: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 9 comments I'm reading The Witching Hour by Anne Rice right now. It's a chunky read at over 1000 pages, but is a good spooky read!

message 50: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters..... so creepy! Haunted English manor, weird family.... it's a great October read! Also, for a classic, have you read Rebecca?

« previous 1