Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Book Chat > Favorite witchy books?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:26AM) (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) What are your favorite books on paganism and witchcraft?

I tend to like reference books more than anything, and I'm always on the lookout for a good, useful reference. A few of my favorites are Cunningham's encyclopediae (herbs, stones, etc) and I'm really fond of Dorothy Morrison's Everyday Magic. It's a great reference for building your own spells.

I also like Ellen Dugan's Garden Witchery and Cottage Witchery... too bad I live in an apartment, ha! I'd love it if she wrote a book on balcony garden witchery. ;)

message 2: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Laura (LauraStamps) My favorite nonfiction Witchy books are:

1.) The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft
2.) The Complete Idiot's Guide to Spells and Spellcrafting
3.) The Elemental Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells

That's one of the things I love about Wicca and Witchcraft...spellcrafting. So in my series of novels about modern-day Witches I not only entertain with a fictional story about these awesome women, but I also include all kinds of info Witches love, like real spells, chants, and rituals that work. As well as lots of Green Witch and Earth Witch stuff (herbal healing, vegetarian recipes, etc.)

My Witch readers have said my novels are like mini Books of Shadows. Others have told me they read my novels with a yellow highlighter. I consider both compliments (grin)...it means I achieved my goal.

By the way, I made lots of changes to my novel website last week and now all the first chapters of my novels are posted as well as two chapters from my currnt novel-in-progress THE FAERY WITCH. Check it out when you have a chance at
http://www.KittyfeatherPress.blogspot...

BB
Laura

message 3: by Anne Kelleher (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Anne Kelleher | 3 comments my favorite witchy books currently are those dealing with tree magic. i like tree wisdom by jacqueline someone.

message 4: by Gwyndyllyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Gwyndyllyn | 1 comments If you have not looked at Plant Spirit Shamanism, I heartily recommend it. Not just trees...but a really good book for learning to commune with plants.

message 5: by Anne Kelleher (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Anne Kelleher | 3 comments that book caught my eye the other day and i have it on hold at my local witchy-book store!... i will go pick it up as soon as they reopen from vacation! thanks for the recommend.

message 6: by Ancestral (last edited Apr 06, 2010 12:37PM) (new)

Ancestral Gael My list is kind of long beginning with:

"The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft" by Professor Ronald Hutton, quickly followed by his other works including "The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles: Their Nature and Legacy" and "Stations of the Sun"

Celtic/Brythonic Paganism

"The Ancient Celts" by .Barry Cunliffe
"The Celtic World" by Miranda Aldhouse-Green
"The Gods of the Celts" by Miranda Aldhouse-Green
"Irish Witchcraft From An Irish Witch" by Lora O'Brien
"The Keys of Knowledge - Ogham, Coelbren and Pagan Celtic Religion" by Kevin Jones
"The Sacred Isle: Belief and Religion in Pre-Christian Ireland" by Dáithí Ó hÓgáin
"Early Irish Myths and Sagas" by Jeffrey Gantz
"Tales of the Elders of Ireland" by Ann Dooley
"The Voyage of Bran" translated by Kuno Meyer
"The Mabinogion" by Sioned Davies
"The Making of a Druid: Hidden Teachings from the Colloquy of Two Sages" by Christian J. Guyonvarc'h
"Trioedd Ynys Prydein: The Triads of the Island of Britain" by Rachel Bromwich

Witchcraft/Magic

"Creative Visualization: Use the Power of Your Imagination to Create What You Want in Your Life" by Shakti Gawain
"Art & Practice of Creative Visualization" by Ophiel
"Art and Practice of Astral Projection" by Ophiel
"Liber Noctis: A Handbook of the Sorcerous Arte" by G. St. M. Nottingham
"Natural Magic" by Doreen Valiente
"13 Moons: A Journal of a Natural Witch" by Fiona Walker-Craven
"Treading the Mill: Practical CraftWorking in Modern Traditional Witchcraft" by Nigel G. Pearson

But, I have many books on the myths, legends, nature guides and folklore, history and archaeology that I dip into from time to time, too.