Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > New edition creates new book?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rui (new)

Rui Dantas (ruidantas) | 11 comments Hi,

I am trying to add a new edition, but it creates a new (separate) book instead. Anything I am doing wrong?

Also, afterwards I tried to combine the editions but that seems to take forever (I saw that mentioned in another thread, it seems to be a known bug).

These books should be combined:
Il passeggiatore solitario
O Caminhante Solitário

And also these two:
Unheimliche Heimat. Essays zur österreichischen Literatur
Pátria Apátrida

When I had no librarian status it would create a new edition of the same book, but it is now creating a different book.

Thank you.

message 2: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 2702 comments You're not doing it wrong, it's the "add a new edition" link that's deceiving: you still have to manually combine your edition with the existing ones.

Right now I see there are problems with the combine though, so you may not be able to do it immediately.

message 3: by Rui (new)

Rui Dantas (ruidantas) | 11 comments Thank you for quick answer.
It would be good to have separate links to "add new book" and "and new edition"... :S

message 4: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments Technically there is, but they do the same damn thing at the moment (except the Add New Edition enters the author and the title in for you).

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Rui wrote: "Thank you for quick answer.
It would be good to have separate links to "add new book" and "and new edition"... :S"

It would also be helpful if people checked the help section. Especially since all librarians are expected to be familiar with the manual.

http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/23...

message 6: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 2702 comments To be fair, the Help section is not the manual. :-)

Speaking about the manual, it should really be updated, especially re: adding a series

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Moloch wrote: "To be fair, the Help section is not the manual."

Actually, the manual is a subsection of the help portion of the site. Also, searching either will bring up results from both.

In terms of updating the manual, we have a folder for suggesting changes and additions.

message 8: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments There is a lot of additions posted in this forum, but that is an excellent lead in to the question: Who is responsible for updating it and when, if ever, are they going to?

message 9: by Voula (new)

Voula  (otl1987) (otl1987) Shouldn't all those things be mentioned to the GR development team?
As for the librarians should know the manual, as a new one, I have to say that I have read the manual, and still do when in doubt, but experience is what's important. That's why if something isn't clear to me, I ask other librarians. The goal is for GR to get better and better, right? So, maybe some slack would be nice!

message 10: by Voula (new)

Voula  (otl1987) (otl1987) Krystal109 wrote: "There is a lot of additions posted in this forum, but that is an excellent lead in to the question: Who is responsible for updating it and when, if ever, are they going to?"

the official GR feedback group: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Otl1987 wrote: "Shouldn't all those things be mentioned to the GR development team?"

Programming and feature issues, yes. Librarian policies, not usually.

I am the primary person who updates the manual. I also work only a few hours a week for GR; much of what I do in this group is on a volunteer basis.

message 12: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments Good to know rivka. Thanks!

message 13: by Rui (new)

Rui Dantas (ruidantas) | 11 comments rivka wrote:It would also be helpful if people checked the help section. Especially since all librarians are expected to be familiar with the manual."

Thank you for the reply. I did read the manual, of course, though not, I confess, the entire help.

It was the different behavior before and after librarian status that confused me, and also the fact that combining was not working yesterday. Actually the help link you sent is not clear to me: for non-librarians this is not an issue, since a (combined) edition is created by default.

By the way, combining is now working well.
Thanks.

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Rui wrote: "It was the different behavior before and after librarian status that confused me"

That's actually not possible. Whether the user is a librarian or not, add new edition ALWAYS creates a new, separate, book. It is a programming limitation. And while making it auto-combine has been explored several times, thus far our developers have not come up with a solution that works consistently enough to be worth implementing.

message 15: by Gene (last edited Sep 13, 2012 10:46AM) (new)

Gene Ruyle (plainsmann) | 11 comments A little work I wrote years ago (Use Guide for Christian Believing) currently shows up as "another edition" for the book "Christian Believing" (the first volume in The Church's Teaching Series, published by Seabury Press in 1979). I think these two need to be separated instead of combined. I made this notation in the "librarian's comment" box accompanying the work's detail information yesterday -- but didn't want to go further without checking with someone else first.

message 16: by Gene (last edited Sep 13, 2012 11:16AM) (new)

Gene Ruyle (plainsmann) | 11 comments Rui wrote: "rivka wrote:It would also be helpful if people checked the help section. Especially since all librarians are expected to be familiar with the manual."

Thank you for the reply. I did read the manua..."

Hello, Rivka ~ This is good to know (about your currently being the principal updater of the manual). May I add you as a friend as a quick way to keep the link handy for future reference? Anyway, I'll go ahead and send the request. If you'd prefer not to to do this, I'll certainly understand. -G.R.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I only add friends who I know IRL or with whom I have book genre preferences in common.

message 18: by Gene (new)

Gene Ruyle (plainsmann) | 11 comments I certainly understand. Thank you.