The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Other Book Discussions > In Honor of Valentine's Day... Your Favorite Romantic Reads

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments This can range from Shakespeare to the classics to "pure fluff" beach reads. What stories made your heart go pitter-pat, contained the dreamy lead to make you swoon, or that really deep-and-true relationship that made you think, YE-AH, THAT'S what it's all about!

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 283 comments One of my favorite love stories is Jane Eyre. Every time I read it, I get goosebumps when Jane is about to give in and marry St. John, but hears Rochester call her name. My other favorite is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Jamie and Claire truly have a romance for the ages ;D (If you're not familiar with the books, they involve time travel.)

message 3: by Kathryn (last edited Feb 04, 2009 09:53AM) (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments The Blue Castle by LM Montgomery. It's so much more "grown up" than some of her other books (though I do love them!) in that our heroine is 29, Barney Snaith (yes, that's his name) is SO fabulous... but also, there is a lot of social critique in this book, I'd almost liken it to Jane Austen (not in terms of style, but in terms of wit and insight).

Stately Pursuits by Katie Fforde is a really fun Brit chick-lit but with some substance. Our heroine helps make over a decrepit old manor house and, what do you know, an extremely sexy and sensitive man happens to come out of the woodwork! ;-p

The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie--I know some people hated this book but I found it unbelievably sexy when I read it some years ago.

For Classics:
Daniel Deronda by George Eliot. Daniel was my dream-man for some time (helped, no doubt, by the fact Hugh Dancy portrayed him in the film!)

A Room With a View EM Forster

I also really enjoyed The Death of King Arthur for a glimpse into love in a bygone era.

The Diaries of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain. Surprisingly sensitive and achingly beautiful.

And, of course, Jane Austen's works.

(Deborah, I really liked JANE EYRE, too!)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Dream of Scipio From Amazon: Set in Provence at three crucial moments of Western civilisation (the final collapse of the Roman Empire in the fifth century, the Black Death in the 14th century, and the Second World War in the 20th), Pears presents the lives of three men. Manlius Hippomanes is an aristocrat, obsessively concerned with the preservation of Roman civilisation; Olivier de Noyen is a poet; and Julian Barneuve is an intellectual who makes the mistake of joining the corrupt Vichy government. Pears weaves his dazzling and discursive narrative through the troubled lives of each man, the common thread being the classical text which is the book’s title-- a work of challenging philosophical inquiry. The other common denominator is the love each man has for a remarkable woman.

I so loved this book! It's very beautiful and poetic indeed. Can only recommend it : )

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

romeo juliet....the death scene when he kills himself...so sad...so romantic

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 16 comments For those of you who love Pride and Prejudice, I recently read Darcy's Story - it's the same story from the view point of Mr. Darcy. It uses a lot quotes and direct references from P&P, but the writer added some interesting perspective to the man so many women love. It was also a really fast read if you're familiar with P&P - only took me a couple days.

message 7: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 04, 2009 05:56PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I love Debbie Macomber's contemporary romance novels. For historical romances I love Jude Deveraux and Julie Garwood. For classics, I love "A Room with a View".

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

People tend to have a love-it-or-hate-it relationship with LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA but I absolutely fell in love when I read it. Sweet, soft, gently unfolding, timeless love story.

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Anna,
"Much Ado About Nothing" is my favorite Shakespeare! I've seen it performed a few times, too. I think my favorite portrayal is by Kenneth Branaugh and Emma Thompson in the film version. Have you seen it? The rest of the film is just so-so in my opinion, but I love them!

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 199 comments Yeah, I've seen this film version with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson. They were both great - Branagh was perfect as Benedict. An Robert Sean Leonard as Claudio... Yummy. I loved the movie.

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 283 comments Meredith wrote: "People tend to have a love-it-or-hate-it relationship with LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA but I absolutely fell in love when I read it. Sweet, soft, gently unfolding, timeless love story. "
I agree. Although it doesn't have the scope or literary resonance of One Hundred Years of Solitude, it is a wonderful love story.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 09, 2009 06:39AM) (new)

Really, you liked Kenneth Branagh as Benedick? I loved every other cast member, but I always thought he had made a fool of Benedick. I had thought Benedick to be funny, not ridiculous - and most of the scenes with him were just way over the top.
Also I just couldn't stand his voice. It was always falling multiple tones while he was talking.

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 199 comments I liked him, but I loved Robert Sean Leonard as Claudio.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I am currently reading Dostoevsky's White Nights and I find it very sweet and romantic! I didn't even know it was a love story when I started it, but it is, and a very cute one especially. If you haven't read it yet, you should definitely check it out. Both main characters are so endearing.