Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Cover Help > cover image size problem

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello librarians,
we have a small issue with our book covers. The image for The Ward (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...) is displaying smaller than normal thumbnails and the image for The Mall (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97...) a bit bigger in thumbnail. The main images are the right size. It's not a big issue, but might you help?
Thanks,
L

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I fixed the issue with The Ward - the image that was uploaded had large white borders on the left and right sides, making it appear smaller when it was sized down to the standard size. I cropped it and re-uploaded it.

I'm not sure what you're seeing for The Mall - the image looks ok to me?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Many thanks, Jennifer. If you look at the 'Books by S.L. Grey' section on the right navigaton, the Mall's jacket is higher than the others.

message 4: by Krystal109 (last edited Sep 12, 2012 12:36AM) (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments There is no way to fix this manually due to the thumbnail sizes being based on the full image dimensions.

It actually looks like the image is thinner in width than the others and that is why it looks that way. I really can't see a way to make this uniform.

message 5: by ❂ Murder by Death (last edited Sep 12, 2012 12:52AM) (new)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) S.L. wrote: "Many thanks, Jennifer. If you look at the 'Books by S.L. Grey' section on the right navigaton, the Mall's jacket is higher than the others."

Ok, I think it's fixed. Your The Mall image was just slightly more narrow in width than the rest so it resized taller. I've added the missing pixels to the image so it's the same size as The Ward. Take a look and let me know if that's acceptable.

ETA: I still have the original, just in case. :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

That's super, thanks, Jennifer. I appreciate it - and thanks for doing it so quickly!

message 7: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments Okay, using Jennifer's idea I did some testing. It was the width vs height that was causing the issue.

In this case, I downloaded the other book (for size reference) and a large version of The Mall and took them into Photoshop. I copied The Mall cover into a new layer and sized it to the exact height of the other book.

After that there are 2 ways to fix the width. Either, add white/black space on each side with the image centered (similar to what amazon does) or widen the image a little (depending on how much thinner the cover actually is).

In this case, I widened the image just a tiny bit and then Clone Stamped the right side so that the text was centered and it wasn't an obvious solid black line for the additional space.

Thanks for the idea Jennifer.

message 8: by ❂ Murder by Death (last edited Sep 12, 2012 02:28AM) (new)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Actually Kyrstal that's exactly what I had already done. Did you replace the cover image?

ETA: I see that you uploaded over my image. I spent a bit of time working on it and would have appreciated you reading my post a bit more closely to see that I had already fixed it.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) S.L. wrote: "That's super, thanks, Jennifer. I appreciate it - and thanks for doing it so quickly!"

You are very welcome. :)

message 10: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments Um... okay no need to get defensive. The object is to get the best looking photo up there. I appreciate the work you put into it.

When I looked, the image was small, about half the size it is now and still a little larger than the other books. I simply upgraded the image size while checking that it was the width issue.

If you have a problem with someone taking your idea and improving upon it then you can attack that person in private in the future instead of insulting them on a public forum. I DID read your post. It just could have been a higher quality, less fuzzy image (since you were already editing it).

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) There was no attack, it was a polite request. The image looked very crisp and clean when I uploaded it. Nobody likes to have their work undone - you too would have been less than pleased if the situation was reversed. It was an observation and I'm not feeling the slightest bit defensive.

message 12: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments I reverted my change. Please click on the full size image and you will see that it is actually really fuzzy and pixelated.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97...

That is the only reason I changed it.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I just took a look and compared it to the original image I still have on my machine. I see a bit of jpeg compression but nothing is fuzzy or pixelated.

And honestly, all you had to do was mention that you had concerns about the image quality. It would have gone a long way.

message 14: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments OK, stop there.

The Goodreads cover system DOES crap all over uploaded images.

Look at this one:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...
I scanned the book myself and it was crystal clear. Resized it to EXACTLY the 293 * 475 size that it is now. Then when I uploaded it the image was resampled to the quality that is there now. Not resized, but resampled very badly.

message 15: by Krystal109 (last edited Sep 12, 2012 03:13AM) (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments Considering that it is okay to upgrade image quality and size I didn't think it needed to be commented on.

Just because your image is close to the original in size and quality, does not mean that a higher quality resolution and size needs to be commented on every time an original image is changed. People get their edits overwritten all the time with other work. If it is for the better, then I don't see a reason to talk to the librarian who is having their work overwritten.

Anyways, the image was fixed and I am going to put the larger resolution and sized image back. I'm sorry this means that your work is being overwritten, but the idea was yours and because of it the image is now enhanced and the problem is solved.

EDIT: Also if someone used my idea and improved upon it I would go, "Why didn't I think to get a higher resolution and image size when I was working on it?"

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Thanks for that Banjomike - I was beginning to wonder as this isn't the first time I've noticed my very nice, high quality scans and uploads going pear shaped. I'm using photoshop for what little work I do to images so I can't blame cheap image software. Glad to know I can blame it on the GR cover system. ;)

message 17: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments Oh, I am not blaming her for the image. I am simply saying that the ONLY reason I upgraded it was because the quality could have been better.

Yes the system does dumb crap sometimes.

message 18: by ❂ Murder by Death (last edited Sep 12, 2012 03:20AM) (new)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Krystal109 wrote: "Considering that it is okay to upgrade image quality and size I didn't think it needed to be commented on.

Just because your image is close to the original in size and quality, does not mean that ..."

*sigh* I'm not going to sit here and debate this with you ad nauseum.
It's fine to replace an image with a higher quality one, but if you don't see the rudeness in doing in within mere minutes of someone else posting they'd done it without mentioning *why* you were doing it - but taking the time to describe exactly what you'd done - then honestly there just isn't anything more to say.

As to your edit, I did, in fact, use a high resolution image to start with - which you would have known had you asked, instead of assuming.

(edited for grammer)

message 19: by Krystal109 (last edited Sep 12, 2012 03:33AM) (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments Okay. Well, sorry I edited the image within minutes without mentioning why. I don't think it is rude. It was a matter of timing and the book being brought to GR librarian's attention due to the OT. Whether I did it now or tomorrow would not make a difference. I will say that if I was going to bring attention to overwriting your image I could have stated why. That was my bad.

Also, when a final image is only about 300 pixels high, I just assume that the original image was not HR 600-1000. I mean, why would you downsize it to 300 pixels (this is more about size than the pixelation), if GR's allows around 600 pixels? That was why I made that assumption.

I am not trying to argue or debate, I am just wondering.

Edited for spelling.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Krystal109 wrote: "I mean, why would you downsize it to 300 pixels (this is more about size than the pixelation), if GR's allows around 600 pixels? That was why I made that assumption.

I am not trying to argue or debate, I am just wondering.
...."

Fair question - I didn't downsize the res. but I downsized the image dimensions (proportionally) so that it would match the same size dimensions of the other image I was trying to match it to (forget the name of it). I downsized the height then added the extra pixels to the width on the right side, then used the clone tool, as you mentioned you used as well in your post.

Honestly, I was trying to get out of doing too much math.

message 21: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments Downsizing an image actually effects the resolution a little, but shouldn't have enough to make it come out the way it did (as stated it was probably on GR's upload side). Then you have the issue with jpgs not being lossless and what resolution you saved it at (depending if that little slider for quality comes up when you save as).

I hate math, that is why I used the one book as a layer and pasted the HR image into it. Then I just used that canvas size as what I needed to downsize to.

I don't even think the final "size" has anything to do with the thumbnails. It has to do with the dimensions of width vs height (instead of purely x pixels tall). It appears that there are 3 sizes, each with their limit. If you meet or exceed that limit it crops it to that size for the thumbnail.

I don't know why the difference in width made that one book (only in that 1 area) so much taller than the others though, since the maximum height should have been met. It was just a weird issue in the first place.

message 22: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Guys, instead of continuing this thread lets blame it on Alice/Heather. It seems to be what we do around here nowadays. ;)

message 23: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments I am just wondering why the thumbnail for only that area was affected. The thumbnails on the author page and everywhere else was capped at the maximum height...just that 1 section wasn't.

That's what boggles my mind.

Also, I blame lafon!

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Krystal109 wrote: "Also, I blame lafon!"

I'm good with that. ;)

message 25: by Alice (new)

Alice Kay (alicekayromance) | 6 comments When I first uploaded my book to Amazon, we found out the cover was too small and fixed it. Now I need to fix it on Goodreads. How should I correct it?

message 26: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Alice wrote: "When I first uploaded my book to Amazon, we found out the cover was too small and fixed it. Now I need to fix it on Goodreads. How should I correct it?"

Do you mean Runaway Hearts?

I've added a larger image.

message 27: by Alice (new)

Alice Kay (alicekayromance) | 6 comments Thank you!

message 28: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44591 comments Mod
Please start new threads, rather than bumping up ones which are years old.

Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.