Fantasy Aficionados discussion

To Ride Hell's Chasm
This topic is about To Ride Hell's Chasm
Group Reads Archive > October 2012--To Ride Hell's Chasm--author-free zone

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new) - rated it 3 stars

carol. | 2616 comments This is if you would like to discuss the book without Janny stopping by. She wanted an author-free zone so that people could feel free to discuss without worrying about author response.

message 2: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new) - rated it 3 stars

carol. | 2616 comments Welcome to the To Ride Hell's Chasm read.

This book is a standalone epic fantasy, with a plot that spans only 5 1/2 days. Expect mystery, political intrigue, and once the plot reaches pitch, action adventure with the gloves off. Skimmers beware: this is a character based tale that builds and unveils - the little details and side characters will come to matter, though do watch out for the ending, folks have missed train stops and lost sleep.

Free excerpts of chapter one in text and e book formats are available at the following link, by all means feel free to give the story a try to see if you'll enjoy the style before you plunge:

http://www.paravia.com/JannyWurts/web...

Audio excerpts in MP3 Format are available for the first THREE chapters - clear and clean for listening, but not by a professional narrator. Scroll down the page on this link, you'll find chapters 1,2 and 3 as separate downloads.

http://www.paravia.com/JannyWurts/Ver...

message 3: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Janny was very kind and gave me some discussion questions for this thread.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS for TO RIDE HELL’S CHASM

1) How many themes run through the plot of this book, and what are they?

2) When do you think the spirit of the law counts more than the letter of the law? Do you think Taskin had any other choice, during the crisis at dawn on the tourney field?

3) Was there any point where you questioned Mykkael’s motives? If not or if so, what sparked your distrust?

4) Which character was your favorite, and why?
Which character surprised you the most?

5) Which was your most memorable scene, and why?
Which scene surprised or shocked you the most, and why?

6) Do you think differences matter more, or less, in small societies and in isolated settings, and during times of threat?

7) Did this story change or reinforce your concept of the interactions between humans and animals? Did you have a favorite horse?

8) Did you agree with Mykkael’s philosophy with regard to the autonomy required of the individual warrior’s decisions?

9) Given the recent emphasis on the ‘magic systems’ found in fantasy books, did you like the ‘see it as it goes’ approach, with the hard definitions in the appendix, or do you prefer a text explanation at each stage of the action?

10) Did the style add depth to your experience, or not?

11) Did you learn anything from the ‘realistic’ aspects of this book, did the depth of detail expand your awareness, and if so, how? Or do you prefer your stories to gloss over areas of expertise you may know little about, and if so, why?

12) Did you wish for a sequel, or not?

message 4: by Traci (new)

Traci I'm 37% into the book and I'm just wondering, anyone else having any trouble with it? I can't even pinpoint what it is. I like the writing style fine. The characters are good. It's slow though. I'm feeling like I'm still waiting for something to happen. The plot is a little...meh to me, to be honest. I'm not a big fan of politics. And I don't like mysteries. Which this has both of. I think it's just a matter of taste. Going to finish it though.

message 5: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new) - rated it 3 stars

carol. | 2616 comments I actually liked the plotting fairly well, although I thought that (view spoiler). I agree it can be a matter of taste :)

Maggie K | 730 comments I had a lot of trouble getting into it at first too, and I think its a matter of over-description. Sometimes, the description goes on in adjective filled paragraph after paragraph.

Dont get me wrong, I like the characters and the story well enough that Im enjoying it, but getting through all the excess words is sometimes challenging.
As we got to parts that no longer needed all the description it got much easier to read.

Weenie 10% in and I think it's great so far! Loving the politics and intrigue.

Sandra  (sleo) I love politics and intrigue, and am aware of Wurts' writing style plot-wise, which is a slow build to a climax, then a dip in tension, then gallop to the final conclusion with a gradual reduction to the final word.

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments I will start very soon, got my copy sent to my house when I was on holiday.

Sandra  (sleo) I'm 39% into the reread and finding myself unwilling to put it down in spite of the fact that I know how it all turns out. @Maggie, I'm not seeing adjective after adjective. I find Wurts' writing style rich and poetic, with adjectives adding to the atmosphere, subtly defining a character's manner, character, etc. And so far the magic is certainly there, if indefinable and very spooky.

message 11: by seak (new) - rated it 5 stars

seak | 6 comments About 100 pages from the end and this has been a wonderful read. I started off interested, then I was sucked in, and then about 300 pages in I realized I was actually sucked in.

The prose is definitely difficult at times, but I think it fits this type of story so perfectly, maybe even say that it puts the epic in epic fantasy.

I'm at a part where some of the descriptions seem unnecessary, but I think they do a really good job letting the reader get closer to the characters because I've noticed I feel really connected.

message 12: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Seak (Bryce L.) wrote: "...The prose is definitely difficult at times, but I think it fits this type of story so perfectly, maybe even say that it puts the epic in epic fantasy. ..."

It's not conducive to skimming, for sure. I've noticed that once I read one of her books, I remember it, though. That's not the case with many books today.

message 13: by seak (new) - rated it 5 stars

seak | 6 comments Jim wrote: "It's not conducive to skimming, for sure. I've noticed that once I read one of her books, I remember it, though. That's not the case with many books today."

Exactly. I noticed it took me about twice as long to read as any other book of the same size. I'm not even joking, I can usually dust one of these types off in a couple weeks (not fast by any means), but this one took me a whole month.

And you're right. I can never get them out of my head, not that I'd want to.

message 14: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) Can't believe that I just didn't have time to pick this up during October. So far it is a fantastic read.