Everything Literature discussion

Gone Girl
This topic is about Gone Girl
Gone Girl

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tana (wanderingalice) | 75 comments Mod
I started reading "Gone Girl" a few days ago. It is an interesting read so far. Join me in discussing this contemporary novel about a modern dysfunctional marriage and strange happenings therein.

Jordan (jordan_hickman) | 15 comments Ahhhh! I'm so excited you're reading this!!!

It's good so far. I'm so mad at Nick, that sleaze. I had a feeling though. I mean, who carries around a disposable cell if they aren't up to something. What do you...or you all...make of Go & Nick's relationship. Significance? Any?

Amy is psychotic.

OK, so I finally finished the book. Terrible ending...at first glance. After thinking about it though, I kind of liked it. The ending was shocking and unsettling, but after thinking about it, it became refreshing. Finally, an ending I didn't predict. A horrible, twisted, sick ending...like real life, unfortunately. I mean, how many people stay w/their abusers in co-dependent, parasitic relationships? Millions! So sad, but so true. So, Amy & Nick are an extreme example of such twisted real-life relationships. And nothing changed in the end, much like real life. While there was much self-actualization in the end, it was not the type that served as a catalyst for positive change like most stories. Instead, it was what it was...dysfunctional from beginning to end.

message 6: by Jordan (last edited Oct 02, 2012 12:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jordan (jordan_hickman) | 15 comments I too was disappointed in the ending...at first, but honestly, it's the only ending that would have worked. I sort of want a follow-up about how Amy is as a mother, because if I were Nick I would not let my child anywhere near her.

I thought it was pretty great storytelling. I expected some of the twists, but a few were pretty shocking. I enjoyed the different point of view, too. It was great hearing both sides. Also, is Amy one of the most twisted narcissistic fictional characters you've ever read?

If the story would have ended differently, that would have made it like almost every other story out there.

And yes, Amy is now #2 on my most evil villainesses (I made that word up) list. #1 is Cathy from East of Eden. I can so draw parallels between the two evil Jezebel's.

Excuse my bad grammar please.