Tierra Encantada Charter School discussion

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Things Fall Apart
Engl. I(6th) > Child spirits

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tierra Encantada | 76 comments Mod
If a series of childhood deaths took place in a family it was believed that the same wicked spirit was being born and dying over and over again, spitefully grieving its parents. The tended to be apprehensive about new children until they seemed to be likely to survive, thus proving themselves not to be feared ogbanje. What role does Chielo play in the village?

message 2: by Xavier (last edited Sep 16, 2012 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Xavier Benni | 26 comments Chielo is the priestess of the oracle. She also kinda provides as role model figure to the other women. She also provides Ezinma with a little bit of extra support and acts as if she is Ezinmas second mother, she even brings Ezinma food. I like the was Kristen used my comment to add onto. Later on in the book it talked about how Okonkwo and Ikemefuna went to the most knowledgable priest about Ogbanjes and how they found the stone of Ezinma and used it to stop the cycle of the Ogbanje.

message 3: by Kai (new)

Kai | 33 comments Chielo is the priestess of Agbala, and the villagers go to her to have their questions answered. I think it's odd how Chielo's behavior differs as the kind old widow and the scary Priestess of Agbala. It seems like when Chielo is a widow she is very kind, as the book states: "She [Chielo] was very friendly with Ekwefi and they shared a common shed in the market. She was particularly fond of Ekwefi's only daughter, Ezinma, whom she called "my daughter". On the other hand, when she is the Priestess to Agbala, the Priestess seems like a terrible sight in her cave, and everyone fears the Priestess's power. In her cave, Chielo is probably very frightening, where you can only see her silhouette, and her judgement and decisions are to be feared and respected.

message 4: by Sarai (last edited Sep 13, 2012 09:09PM) (new) - added it

Sarai Cisneros | 27 comments Chielo was the priestess of Agbala. Chielo is a widowed woman and she has two children. She is a very friendly women, she was really friendly with Ekwefi Okonwo's second wife.Chielo called Ekwefi's daughter Ezinma "my daughter."She does this because she really thinks or sees Ezinma as her second daughter she is gives both Ekwefi and Ezinma some support.

message 5: by Sarai (new) - added it

Sarai Cisneros | 27 comments Samara wrote: "Chielo was "the priestess of agbala"."
I agree with Samara and also she looks at Ekwefi's daughter as her second daughter.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 14, 2012 06:25PM) (new)

I think Kai has a very good point. Chielo is the priestess of Agbala but suprisingly she is a very kind person. Also a lot of people find it hard to believe someone as ordinary as her would be the priestess with so much power, like page 49 shows: "Anyone seeing Chielo in ordinary life would hardly believe she was the same person who prophesied when the spirit of Agbala was upon her". Chielo is a widowed women with two kids who can be a normal villager but never will be because she plays a highly important role to the village, she is the priestess of Agbala whom everyone near and far goes to to consult it and ask them whats in store for them in the future or to communicate with their deceased ancestors.

message 7: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 15, 2012 07:39AM) (new) - added it

Kathryn (kathycat) | 22 comments Vanessa wrote: "I think Kai has a very good point. Chielo is the priestess of Agbala but suprisingly she is a very kind person. Also a lot of people find it hard to believe someone as ordinary as her would be the ..."

Kai wrote: "Chielo is the priestess of Agbala, and the villagers go to her to have their questions answered. I think it's odd how Chielo's behavior differs as the kind old widow and the scary Priestess of Agba..."

I believe that both Vanessa and Kai are correct. Chielo is the Priestess of Agbala. This is mentioned on page 48 " The women with whom she [Ekwefi] talked was called Chielo. She was the priestess of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and Caves." Chielo was a widow with two kids. She was very fond of Ezinma, who was Ekwefi's daughter, and called would often call her " my daughter". Chielo could be very terrifing when she was the priestess of Agbala though. On page 101 she took Ezinma away in the middle of the night "'Ekwefi' she[Chielo] called, 'Agbala greets you. Where is my daughter, Ezinma? Agbala wants to see her.'" What followed was a terrifying run through the hills to Agbala's Caves.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 16 comments Samara wrote: "Chielo was "the priestess of agbala"."
I strongly agree with samara because Chielo was a priestesses of Umofia who was also dedicated Oricle to the godesses of Agbala."Chielo is a widow with two children. "She is good friends with Ekwefi and is fond of Ezinma, whom she calls “my daughter.”

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 24 comments Xavier wrote: "Chielo is the priestess of the oracle. She also kinda provides as role model figure to the other women. She also provides Ezinma with a little bit of extra support and acts as if she is Ezinmas sec..."

I agree with Xavier. Chielo was the oracle of Agbala. She was friends with Ekwefi. She called Ekwefi's daughter, Ezinma, "my daughter"(pg. 49) and often gave her food. Ezinma was believed to be an ogbanje because her mother "had borne ten, children and nine of them had died in infancy"(pg.77).

message 10: by Zane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zane Flannery | 27 comments Kai wrote: "Chielo is the priestess of Agbala, and the villagers go to her to have their questions answered. I think it's odd how Chielo's behavior differs as the kind old widow and the scary Priestess of Agba..."

I completely agree but I would like to add that the book sais that "Anyone seeing Chielo in ordinary life would hardly believe that she was the same person who prophesied when the spirit of Agbala was upon her." This shows that the priestess of Agballa was a person who was chosen by the Agballa and possed Agballa's spirit giving that person the abillity to prophesize.

message 11: by Marianne (last edited Sep 16, 2012 02:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marianne Lara | 26 comments Kai wrote: "Chielo is the priestess of Agbala, and the villagers go to her to have their questions answered. I think it's odd how Chielo's behavior differs as the kind old widow and the scary Priestess of Agba..."

I agree with Kai. Chielo is the priestess of Aglaba, "the oracle of the hills and the caves." pg.49. She is a widow, yes, but she also has two children. She's also friends with Ekwefi, and is especially fond of her only daughter, Enzima. She calls Enzima "my daughter" and often buys beancakes and gives some to Ekwefi to take to Enzima. I also agree that she is kind in ordinary life, but as the priestess of Aglaba she can be really scary. If one sees her in her cave she may seem frightening. Her desicions though, "are to be feared and respected."

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly Malone | 27 comments Vanessa wrote "Chielo is the priestess of Agbala but suprisingly she is a very kind person. Also a lot of people find it hard to believe someone as ordinary as her would be the priestess with so much power, like page 49 shows: "Anyone seeing Chielo in ordinary life would hardly believe she was the same person who prophesied when the spirit of Agbala was upon her". " I think that the answer she wrote is perfectly accurate but the book also says "She was particularly found of Ekwefi's only daughter, Ezinma, whom she called "my daughter". Thus meaning that Chielo thought of Ezinma as a daughter of her own. She felt for her and loved her. the book also says that "Quite often she bought beancakes and gave Ekwefi to take home to Enzinma". Again this tells us that she thought of her as one of her own and loved her.

Isaiah Armijo | 28 comments Marianne wrote: "Kai wrote: "Chielo is the priestess of Agbala, and the villagers go to her to have their questions answered. I think it's odd how Chielo's behavior differs as the kind old widow and the scary Pries..."

Kai wrote: "Chielo is the priestess of Agbala, and the villagers go to her to have their questions answered. I think it's odd how Chielo's behavior differs as the kind old widow and the scary Priestess of Agba..."

I can agree with both of you Chielo is the priestess of Aglaba. Yet she is a widow with two children. She does not let the fact that she is a priestess rule her life. In fact Achebe states that she lives a normal life. She still holds much power in the Umuofia culture. She is to be respected and feared.

message 14: by Saul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Saul Saiz | 17 comments Kai wrote: "Chielo is the priestess of Agbala, and the villagers go to her to have their questions answered. I think it's odd how Chielo's behavior differs as the kind old widow and the scary Priestess of Agba..."

I agree with kai chielo is the preist of agabala she is a widow women with children. She doesnt let other priests rule over her life and she livex a normal life she also has respect and she is also feared. But she also loves ezisnma like if she was her daughter she treats her very noce in fact she I.s a very nice women.

message 15: by Benhanna (last edited Sep 16, 2012 08:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Benhanna | 27 comments Isaiah wrote: "Marianne wrote: "Kai wrote: "Chielo is the priestess of Agbala, and the villagers go to her to have their questions answered. I think it's odd how Chielo's behavior differs as the kind old widow an..."

I agree with all three of you about how she is the priestess and a widow with two children. And how she is good friends with Ekwefi and her dater. She was also the one who said that Ikemwfuna had to be killed. I think that there may be a connection between Ikemwfunas death and Ekwefi.

message 16: by Mona (new)

Mona Chavarria | 29 comments Xavier wrote: "Chielo is the priestess of the oracle. She also kinda provides as role model figure to the other women. She also provides Ezinma with a little bit of extra support and acts as if she is Ezinmas sec..."

I agree with Xavier. Chielo is widowed with 2 children and she called Ezinma her daughter. Xavier pretty much said what I would of said. What Xavier should have also mentioned is she walked with Ezinma so that way the baby wouldn't be as evil as it was made out to be and brought the baby to the go purify and appease the Gods.

message 17: by Samara (last edited Sep 28, 2012 12:52PM) (new) - added it

Samara | 15 comments Kai wrote: "Chielo is the priestess of Agbala, and the villagers go to her to have their questions answered. I think it's odd how Chielo's behavior differs as the kind old widow and the scary Priestess of Agba..."

I agree with Kia were he says that its odd that her behavior differs from being an old widow to the scary priestess of agbala because, it is really weird how she can change from one person to another. It's almost as if she was two faced.

message 18: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Sena | 26 comments chielo is the priestess of Algbala, the oracle, people come to her to have questions answered or to have a look into the future. as a person she was an old widow and as a job she was a priestes